U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 09:21 AM

2,303 posts, read 2,260,034 times

Advertisements

To everyone saying it's faster to pay with cash... have you really never been stuck behind someone trying to get the pennies out of their purse so that they can get back either no change or a quarter instead of smaller coins?

While there are exceptions, I've pretty much found CC's to be the faster payment method overall. It's never give a $5 bill and get back $2, it's give a $5 and some coins to get back $2, or give $5 and wait for the cashier to count out the coins.

And if you're not using coins to pay, then you're essentially always rounding your coins up to the nearest dollar. Either that or you have to waste time going to a coin counter.

Convenience of payment is definitely in favor of CC's. That's actually one of the reasons people say it's easier to waste money... because it's so easy to pay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 09:23 AM

5,157 posts, read 5,100,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I think the OP has an issue with not being able to spend that extra cash once it is in hand. There is nothing wrong with what the OP is doing by not carrying cash because many people do that because cash can disappear so quickly.

If OP is serious about controlling spending, the buy in bulk is the best bet. $2.20 a day adds up. I would choose something more healthy than a bagel (yeast, flour, sugar, etc.) in the first place and brown bag it but then, that's how we became debt-free and healthy.
I can understand this sensitivity. My husband has a problem where if it's on the card he thinks it comes from some mystical and magical bottomless account that refills itself every night at the stroke of twelve. You put the cash in his hands and he's suddenly Ebenezer Scrooge in a room full of orphans.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:32 AM

4,004 posts, read 4,579,481 times
What do you mean how do you deal with it. You either choose to carry a few bucks for a bagel or you don't eat there. My bagel shop does the same thing, I agree its annoying and many times they lose my business because I'm too lazy to go to my atm to get a few bucks for a bagel, even though my atm is at the othr end of their parking lot, lol..

I get where they are coming from. Many cc merchant accounts charge say 0.30 cent or 0.50 cent fee plus like 1% or 3% or whatever. On a $100 item who cares about the .30 cents however on a coffee that costs a buck that's 30% for the 0.30 cent plus another 1% for the merchant fee. It adds up overtime. Most people who work in the building are probably used to it and just deal with it and carry a pocket full of quarters for that in the morning.

I could be mistaken but I believe its against MC and Visa TOS to have this policy but its not really something that is enforced.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:34 AM

4,004 posts, read 4,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it drives me nuts standing in line behind someone making a 2 buck purchase with a credit card.

many times it has to redial a few times as well as taking at least 2x longer compared to slapping down two bucks. on an active checkout line that eats up alot of employee time.

i wish all stores had min charges. it is not even understandable to me how someone could even leave the house with no cash.
Honestly I feel the opposite I hate being behind someone with cash, I think it takes longer for a cashier to make change than swipe move along.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:47 AM

9,182 posts, read 16,656,366 times
Quote:
many times it has to redial a few times as well as taking at least 2x longer compared to slapping down two bucks. on an active checkout line that eats up alot of employee time.
I would suggest shopping at a store that knows it's 2015.

To the OP, just use the debit card on Monday and get $10 back, then put that money in an envelope in your desk and use that for your purchases for the next few days. Repeat when the amount of cash in the envelope won't cover the cost of what you want to buy.

Last edited by duster1979; 01-07-2015 at 10:56 AM..

Old 01-07-2015, 10:55 AM

9,182 posts, read 16,656,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I could be mistaken but I believe its against MC and Visa TOS to have this policy but its not really something that is enforced.
At one time this is the case, but Dodd-Frank made minimum card purchase legal up to a certain amount.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:40 PM

748 posts, read 3,887,093 times
Quote:
it drives me nuts standing in line behind someone making a 2 buck purchase with a credit card.

i wish all stores had min charges. it is not even understandable to me how someone could even leave the house with no cash.
I think this is the first time I've ever read something you wrote, that I disagreed with!

Cash is obsolete. Cards (debit/credit) are the present, and phones (tap to pay) are the future.
What is this "redial" thing you are talking about? Is that like a modem from 1992? Modern POS systems are connected by broadband and take less time to approve payment than you can count bills and give change.

It drives me nuts standing in line behind a geezer counting out bills and coins to pay for their lunch, while high-school dropouts behind the register fumble around to make change.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:52 PM

3,946 posts, read 4,043,310 times
Quote:
Is that like a modem from 1992? Modern POS systems are connected by broadband and take less time to approve payment than you can count bills and give change
NYC is weird in that in many areas, it feels like you are stepping into the past while others right down the street feel like the future. So yeah, I can believe that some small bagel shops still have to redial on a shared phone line to charge a card in 2015, the same way you see those carbon paper credit card things in some small towns. Tap to pay like you can at every 7-11 in the US is still a long way out for every store.

Small mom & pops are the ones who have minimum balances because the credit card fees eat into their income. A corporate store doesn't care.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:06 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,420,987 times
First world problems.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:17 PM

41,492 posts, read 51,385,768 times
I am one of those annoying old folks that pay cash, including to the penny, for most items under fifty dollars. Paying for coffee with a credit card seems to be excessive and somehow improper.

As far as the guy complaining about having to wait for me to drag out exact change I suggest he learn some patience. With some luck he will get old and uncooperative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or