U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:29 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,385,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Bring your own bagel and juice. I have been bringing my breakfast and lunch from home for years. My friends spend a average of 12 bucks a day on food. That's $60 a week $240 a month.

Go to Costco and buy a case of juice. Get two bags of bagels and a tub of cream cheese and put them in the fridge. Make your breakfast at home and bring it with you.
That guy just lost $44 a month from you.

Great Point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 08:34 PM

14,063 posts, read 20,411,363 times
Default The future is now

I am one of those old farts (66) who decided 3.7 years ago to switch from 100% cash to 100% plastic. I love it. But, my 88 year old barber insists on cash. So, I have to spend $18 every 8 weeks in cash.
I am very excited to start using Apple Pay.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:46 PM

4,004 posts, read 4,590,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am one of those annoying old folks that pay cash, including to the penny, for most items under fifty dollars. Paying for coffee with a credit card seems to be excessive and somehow improper.

As far as the guy complaining about having to wait for me to drag out exact change I suggest he learn some patience. With some luck he will get old and uncooperative.
Not sure if you're one of these people but its inconsiderate and stupid when your in a line 6 deep and wait until your asked for money to have to go digging, at least have your money and stuff out and ready to go.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:54 PM

18,890 posts, read 13,659,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it drives me nuts standing in line behind someone making a 2 buck purchase with a credit card.

many times it has to redial a few times as well as taking at least 2x longer compared to slapping down two bucks. on an active checkout line that eats up alot of employee time.

i wish all stores had min charges. it is not even understandable to me how someone could even leave the house with no cash.

This makes no sense, if there is a redial issue, I'm assuming to connect for payment that's a store issue. Cash transaction unless exact change aren't faster and even exact change isn't always faster that electronic payment

Old 01-08-2015, 01:44 AM

43,591 posts, read 52,772,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
This makes no sense, if there is a redial issue, I'm assuming to connect for payment that's a store issue. Cash transaction unless exact change aren't faster and even exact change isn't always faster that electronic payment
Exactly.

Just cuz you slap down the exact cash doesn't mean that the guy running the register still doesn't have to count it, sort the change/bills, input it into the machine, etc.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:35 AM
bUU

11,891 posts, read 8,681,478 times
Quote:
it drives me nuts standing in line behind someone making a 2 buck purchase with a credit card.
It drives me nuts standing in line behind someone making a 2 buck purchase with currency and change.

Quote:
i wish all stores had min charges.
I wish all stores stopped pandering to Luddites and did away with cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Honestly I feel the opposite I hate being behind someone with cash, I think it takes longer for a cashier to make change than swipe move along.
Absolutely.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:48 AM

71,946 posts, read 71,971,035 times
why am i not surprised at your answers.!

Old 01-08-2015, 04:08 AM
bUU

11,891 posts, read 8,681,478 times
Indeed. The question, though, is whether or not you can recognize that your preference is a reflection of a declining sentiment and my preference is a reflection of an ascending sentiment.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:22 AM

325 posts, read 402,946 times
I don't have a problem with stores doing this. They do have to pay a surcharge on people who use credit cards after all.

Nothing wrong with carrying around a $20 for situations like this.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:51 AM

9,181 posts, read 16,688,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Not sure if you're one of these people but its inconsiderate and stupid when your in a line 6 deep and wait until your asked for money to have to go digging, at least have your money and stuff out and ready to go.
It's also inconsiderate and stupid to have to swipe three cards before finding one with available credit or is otherwise not declined, or to wait until the cashier has finished ringing everything up before shuffling through a stack of cards and trying to decide which one to use.

Or, for that matter, to take your time deciding what lottery tickets to buy after your other merchandise has been rung up, or try to decide if you want one pack of smokes or two, or to ask for a discount on a damaged item.

I worked in retail for many years and have seen all of these things happen on a fairly regular basis. There's nothing inherently rude about paying with cash. Rude and/or ignorant people are going to engage in rude and/or ignorant behavior regardless of how they choose to pay. They guy who wastes the cashier's time paying with cash is still going to waste the cashier's time if he decides to pay with a card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or