U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:56 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,338,473 times

Advertisements

I have been able to save more money by not carrying cash for years but sometimes I run into a issue when a store wants me to withdraw money out of my account because of the "$5.00 Minimum" for credit/debit card use

I just feel that if I was able to use my card to buy a bagel and juice for $2.20 instead of taking out $10 due to the $5 minimum I would have even more money saved. So should how should i deal with these types of stores? The problem is the store is in the same building I work in and nothing else is closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 12:10 AM

5,164 posts, read 5,108,394 times
Some of my favorite coffee shops are like this. One workaround has been that they offer a rewards card that allow me to prepay in advance and then I get 10% off of everything.

Otherwise, I guess I would just get cash out specifically for this store, especially since it is in your building and you're likely to go often. I would think that you have enough self-control for it, wouldn't you?

Old 01-07-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Some of my favorite coffee shops are like this. One workaround has been that they offer a rewards card that allow me to prepay in advance and then I get 10% off of everything.

Otherwise, I guess I would just get cash out specifically for this store, especially since it is in your building and you're likely to go often. I would think that you have enough self-control for it, wouldn't you?

The other option would be to wake up earlier to go to another store but I know I don't want to do that. So Maybe I can take out cash which can be a certain amount a month. I am focused on being a wise and creative spender in 2015.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:28 AM

2,247 posts, read 1,470,124 times
Why not buy bagels and juice bulk at your grocery store, and bring them with you to work? You can buy cheap insulated lunch bags, and use a blue ice block to keep them cool.

That's cheaper, more frugal, and you can use your card to do this at the same time you buy your general groceries.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:40 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,589,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I just feel that if I was able to use my card to buy a bagel and juice for $2.20 instead of taking out $10 due to the $5 minimum I would have even more money saved. So should how should i deal with these types of stores? The problem is the store is in the same building I work in and nothing else is closer.
You "feel" like you'd save more, but does it actually make a difference? Either way you're out $550/year (assuming you go there every day that you work and take two weeks of vacation). I guess maybe you're missing out on $5-$10 in credit card rewards every year, but that hardly seems like getting worked up over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear
Why not buy bagels and juice bulk at your grocery store, and bring them with you to work? You can buy cheap insulated lunch bags, and use a blue ice block to keep them cool.
Fresh bagels are really only good for a day (maybe two). Most of the bagel shops around where I live sell their day old bagels for a steep discount. Who wants to go to the grocery store every day to buy a bagel? Or worse, who wants to eat those gross bagged products in the bread aisle posing as bagels? I'd rather do without than eat a bread torus - they don't deserve to be called bagels - out of a bag.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post

That's cheaper, more frugal, and you can use your card to do this at the same time you buy your general groceries.

I may consider that. Sounds like a plan.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:35 AM

14,072 posts, read 16,098,416 times
Quote:
I have been able to save more money by not carrying cash for years but sometimes I run into a issue when a store wants me to withdraw money out of my account because of the "$5.00 Minimum" for credit/debit card use

Carry cash.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:45 AM

71,722 posts, read 71,829,507 times
it drives me nuts standing in line behind someone making a 2 buck purchase with a credit card.

many times it has to redial a few times as well as taking at least 2x longer compared to slapping down two bucks. on an active checkout line that eats up alot of employee time.

i wish all stores had min charges. it is not even understandable to me how someone could even leave the house with no cash.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-07-2015 at 03:37 AM..

Old 01-07-2015, 03:29 AM

4,826 posts, read 7,280,906 times
Quote:

Simple.... take out $20 and break it into singles and just carry $2.20 per day to purchase your bagel and juice.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:36 AM

1,629 posts, read 1,916,874 times
A mom and pop sandwich shop near my work started charging $1 extra for credit/debit cards. I walked out on my order when the gal pointed it out. About 4 months later I wound up back there with a co-worker and warned him about the charge. The cashier told me they stopped that as so many people complained or walked out as I did.

Complain to them. Its part of the cost of doing business. They don't charge a separate fee for their electric bill after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or