Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 PM

107 posts, read 266,573 times

Advertisements

By now, most people know that student loans don't just disappear the way an unpaid credit card does after 7 years. Has anyone ever taken care of their government student loans by paying them off with a credit card and then simply defaulting on the credit card? If so, how did it work out? I'm looking for actual cases of people who actually did this, not a debate about law and public policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 12:05 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polski4u View Post
By now, most people know that student loans don't just disappear the way an unpaid credit card does after 7 years. Has anyone ever taken care of their government student loans by paying them off with a credit card and then simply defaulting on the credit card? If so, how did it work out? I'm looking for actual cases of people who actually did this, not a debate about law and public policy.

I was using cash advances from a credit card in the '90s to make student loan payments. The total cash advances were limited to 50% of my credit limit, so that was not sustainable for very long. Then I was able to squeeze out some more student loan payments by putting necessities on my credit card until it was maxed out.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:55 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Using plastic to pay off student loans: A bad idea

Among other points....
""Any refinancing of a qualified education loan is still considered a qualified education loan," says Mark Kantrowitz, publisher of Edvisors.com, a network of sites offering educational resources. "Thus if someone were to pay off student loans with credit cards, the credit card debt would be non-dischargeable in bankruptcy."

Old 01-08-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Using plastic to pay off student loans: A bad idea

Among other points....
""Any refinancing of a qualified education loan is still considered a qualified education loan," says Mark Kantrowitz, publisher of Edvisors.com, a network of sites offering educational resources. "Thus if someone were to pay off student loans with credit cards, the credit card debt would be non-dischargeable in bankruptcy."

Oh really.

I did not "pay off" my student loans with credit cards, I still have a sizable student loan balance. I did not directly use credit cards to make student loan payments, I did so indirectly by taking cash advances and then using the cash to make student loan payments. Actually I probably even did that indirectly by taking advantage of the fungability of money - I used the money in my paycheck to make the student loan payments, while the cash advances allowed me to eat despite my depleted bank account.

Who is going to prevent me from discharging the (yet unpaid) credit card debt in bankruptcy?

Old 01-08-2015, 06:43 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I was using cash advances from a credit card in the '90s to make student loan payments. The total cash advances were limited to 50% of my credit limit, so that was not sustainable for very long. Then I was able to squeeze out some more student loan payments by putting necessities on my credit card until it was maxed out.
And yet, at no point did you make the decisions to use that college degree to get a good paying job.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And yet, at no point did you make the decisions to use that college degree to get a good paying job.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Takes two to tango, eh? I was initially rejected by the job market during the Carter recession - very little demand in the Rust Belt for liberal arts graduates at that time. By the time the Reagan Recovery caused rents to necessarily skyrocket, I was rejected by employers for lack of career-related experience.

In the absence of career-related experience, the marketable shelf life of a college degree is five years and certainly is not indefinite as some people appear to believe.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:11 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Meh... I was talking to polski4u, not freemkt.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Meh... I was talking to polski4u, not freemkt.

Then you should have quoted the OP instead tossing out a comment to nobody in particular.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:23 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
Depending on the amount of student loan debt, which is likely tens of thousands of dollars, you wouldn't have nearly that amount of credit to use to pay it all down, likely only a small percentage of it. Then you would be defaulting on both a student loan and a credit card, which would essentially wipe out your credit for a decade or so. Probably not the start you would want coming out of college as credit checks are now common among employers when considering hiring someone. So you'd have two black marks on your credit and a huge hurdle to get hired.

But as someone here already said, you could get around the rules by taking cash advances or simply transferring balances between cards.

Personally, I'd rather take a McJob and pay what I could vs. the scenario I painted above, but that's just my humble opinion.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:04 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,255,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Takes two to tango, eh? I was initially rejected by the job market during the Carter recession - very little demand in the Rust Belt for liberal arts graduates at that time. By the time the Reagan Recovery caused rents to necessarily skyrocket, I was rejected by employers for lack of career-related experience.
There's no call to blame Jimmy Carter, there's actually been very little demand for liberal arts graduates at any time since the career model of a college graduate changed from learning things like history, philosophy, and critical thinking in college and learning career skills as an apprentice to learning career skills as part of the college curriculum well over 100 years ago.

Quote:
In the absence of career-related experience, the marketable shelf life of a college degree is five years and certainly is not indefinite as some people appear to believe.
I disagree. My degree is in Finance, but I spent many years working in retail management and industrial sales before going to work in the financial services industry.

Frankly, the shelf life of a liberal arts degree is more like about five minutes unless you plan to go to work for a family business or go into business for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance