Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 07:45 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancellor14 View Post
I'm a taxpayer and I don't care. There are millions of others who don't care as well. It's only temporary, I care more about an individual getting up on his feet, then being buried with payments, plus paying taxes. It's not like I'm telling him to steal. And it's only temporary, people go through hard times and you gotta do what you gotta do
You're telling him to steal, along with telling his parents (the business owners) to steal. That's precisely what you're doing. You just think it's ok, because he's not taking the money directly out of your pocket, just indirectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 07:50 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
To the OP, a bunch of good advice has been offered here, and a bunch of bad advice as well. Here's what I would say to sum it up:

1. Are there any cosigners on your loan(s)? If so, who are they? If your parents, then that's an even bigger issue with the "under the table" approach.

2. Apply to put your federal loans on the Income Based Repayment plan.

3. Keep applying for jobs. Apply everywhere and anywhere. I'm not sure where you live, but even a sales rep at some retail stores can make $30,000/yr. By the way, you never mentioned what your field is.

4. Continue working at the restaurant, AND work for your parents but ON THE BOOKS.

5. Have you chosen the extended payment terms for your private loans? This should lower the monthly payment, because it stretches it over a greater period of time.

6. What are your interest rates on your loans? Have you looked into consolidation at all? (this will be tough since you are young and may not have a high FICO score, but I've been getting things in the mail from Citizen's Bank about consolidating private loans for as low as 3% APR (variable rate) or around 5% fixed rate).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance