Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:48 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
38% could cover it out of pocket that's not sensationalized

The other methods are either borrowing 28% or 26% cutting spending elsewhere, meaning not being able to cover something until more income came in. That's pretty sad imo
Like I mentioned earlier, this data is based on "cash they have on hand in a savings account or checking account" which means it would exclude any investment accounts. The fact that I'd have to put something on a credit card until I moved money back from my investment account would technically mean I can't cover it out of pocket, but I hardly consider that sad.

Also, realistically, for me I would put an unexpected repair on a card, but pay the balance off next month. That would technically put me in the borrowing category, but I do that for the convenience so that I don't have to liquidate anything or move money around.

I'd also say that even some of the group who needs to cut back on spending is probably ok because the fact that someone needs to cut down on how much the eat out and spends on luxuries to afford a one off emergency wouldn't be bad. If they had to cut back on basic food and start cancelling utilities then it's a problem, but the category is a bit vaugue. A guy making a $100k a month but spending all of it probably wouldn't have enough cash on hand for an emergency without cutting back on spending, but he could easily do it.

I really don't think the study as phrased tells you anything. The categories are too easily divided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 08:51 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
38% could cover it out of pocket that's not sensationalized

The other methods are either borrowing 28% or 26% cutting spending elsewhere, meaning not being able to cover something until more income came in. That's pretty sad imo
If the actual question was "How do you tend to deal with unexpected expenses, such as $1,000 for an emergency room visit or $500 for a car repair?" then it doesn't follow from the responses that only 38% can cover it just because only 38% said that's how the "tend to deal with unexpected expenses." If I were asked that question, I'd probably answer "reduce spending on other things" even though I'm fully capable of yanking the cash out of savings.

The claim in the article isn't actually supported by the data provided.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:06 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Like I mentioned earlier, this data is based on "cash they have on hand in a savings account or checking account" which means it would exclude any investment accounts. The fact that I'd have to put something on a credit card until I moved money back from my investment account would technically mean I can't cover it out of pocket, but I hardly consider that sad.

Also, realistically, for me I would put an unexpected repair on a card, but pay the balance off next month. That would technically put me in the borrowing category, but I do that for the convenience so that I don't have to liquidate anything or move money around.

I'd also say that even some of the group who needs to cut back on spending is probably ok because the fact that someone needs to cut down on how much the eat out and spends on luxuries to afford a one off emergency wouldn't be bad. If they had to cut back on basic food and start cancelling utilities then it's a problem, but the category is a bit vaugue. A guy making a $100k a month but spending all of it probably wouldn't have enough cash on hand for an emergency without cutting back on spending, but he could easily do it.

I really don't think the study as phrased tells you anything. The categories are too easily divided.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
If the actual question was "How do you tend to deal with unexpected expenses, such as $1,000 for an emergency room visit or $500 for a car repair?" then it doesn't follow from the responses that only 38% can cover it just because only 38% said that's how the "tend to deal with unexpected expenses." If I were asked that question, I'd probably answer "reduce spending on other things" even though I'm fully capable of yanking the cash out of savings.

The claim in the article isn't actually supported by the data provided.

okay we can pretend the article is slanted and most people have enough money in savings and taxable investments to cover unexpected expenses, I believe this is far from true

28% in 2012 had no savings

http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/25/pf/emergency-savings/ slanted I'm sure

Another the polls litter the net historically

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/30/170561...ial-safety-net

Old 01-13-2015, 10:06 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Stop rolling your eyes and try some reading comprehension and critical thinking.

The body of the article makes a claim. The question the article gives us (whether or not that's the question that was asked is unanswered) cannot be used as evidence of that claim. Period.

Now take your CNN and NPR links. The "research" says ~half of households have enough to cover three months of expenses or more. How is it possible that half of households have three months expenses saved up, yet only 38% can cover a $500-$1000 expense with their savings? Doesn't make any sense.

Writing good surveys is hard. Making sound conclusions that are supported by the data is also hard (well, not really, it just requires actually understanding the data you have).

Old 01-13-2015, 10:34 PM

36 posts, read 34,242 times
I know what it feels like for these people. Being poor really hurts.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:34 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,200 times
Most people will tell you that your emergency fund should not be in the stock market or even in bonds. It should be in a savings, money market, or CDs (since CDs can be withdrawn from early if necessary), etc. Emergencies typically happen when the market is down, etc. so your money in equities for your emergency funds might only be 50% what it is today, etc.

I haven't read this particular article but they also should segment these studies by age group, geography, etc. In any case, I think we all know that most people have almost nothing in their bank accounts and live paycheck to paycheck and this is more and more true the younger you are (millenials more than baby boomers, etc.).

Old 01-14-2015, 01:51 AM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Stop rolling your eyes and try some reading comprehension and critical thinking.

The body of the article makes a claim. The question the article gives us (whether or not that's the question that was asked is unanswered) cannot be used as evidence of that claim. Period.

Now take your CNN and NPR links. The "research" says ~half of households have enough to cover three months of expenses or more. How is it possible that half of households have three months expenses saved up, yet only 38% can cover a $500-$1000 expense with their savings? Doesn't make any sense.

Writing good surveys is hard. Making sound conclusions that are supported by the data is also hard (well, not really, it just requires actually understanding the data you have).

when you really look under the hood none of the statistics about peoples finance's make sense and add up.

there is a reason : no one really knows what anyone has . except for a relatively few questionaires that go out with the census there is noooooo official tally on anyone.

personally who cares , people adapt and live on whatever they have. there are far greater things to worry about.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:19 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,415 times
I lot of people think their emergency fund is their Credit Card...SMH. People wonder why they cant get ahead financially.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:50 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
Most people will tell you that your emergency fund should not be in the stock market or even in bonds. It should be in a savings, money market, or CDs (since CDs can be withdrawn from early if necessary), etc. Emergencies typically happen when the market is down, etc. so your money in equities for your emergency funds might only be 50% what it is today, etc.
You can get around this problem by not over-concentrating in a single country. Very rarely is the whole world down 50% (not sure it's ever even happened).

That said, a cash emergency fund still gives you the benefit of knowing you don't have to sell at a loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
I haven't read this particular article but they also should segment these studies by age group, geography, etc. In any case, I think we all know that most people have almost nothing in their bank accounts and live paycheck to paycheck and this is more and more true the younger you are (millenials more than baby boomers, etc.).
Well, sure, when you are just starting out and have only had one year of income to even save in the first place, of course you won't have as much.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:43 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,200 times
I do invest some in international equities and international bonds but iirc 2008-2009 was pretty bad globally as well.

And yeah, it's obvious that those starting out will have less savings since they only recently started working. I was just not sure if the article accounted for that or just lumped in all Americans into one big bucket without segmenting their data. Even with that said, I'm pretty sure that many folks over 40 don't have proper savings either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance