Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 10:01 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I'm done arguing this, its evolved into a stupid debate.
its because your position is totally ridiculous. you have been reduced to repeating "there are catches! there are catches!" but you cant even legitimately articulate the catches. if you are paying the balance monthly, the fact that 1% of the equation is earned as you pay is totally meaningless. you are trying to pretend that its significant and it looks silly. thats why the debate seems stupid, because your positions arent rational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 10:40 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
I got so exhausted playing the rotating cats game, and shuffling so many cards around just to maximize Points/Cashback.... It really does take work to prefect it and keep it going, but I think eventually everyone gets tired.

---snip----
It can get tiring. But sometimes you need to put some effort to realize the gains. To each their own I guess. I have a friend who essentially signs up for every promotion known to man kind. Too much for me. But hey, he's got free bread for the year from Le Madeline, and had free burrito's for a year from Cali. Tortilla. And you know where he is when they have free pancakes at IHOP, free cones at Dairy Queen, free donuts at Dunkin... etc.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:24 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,538 times
Quote:
It is a catch, why not just give the 2% all upfront to best the Quicksilver completely....Nothing lazy about.... Just like having to have a Fidelity account in order to get 2% is catch.... and it has to be deposited into a Fidelity account is a catch... Capital One doesn't have these requirement and I can have my cashback directly deposited into ANY BANK account of my choice... There's no Gimmicks/Gotcha's/Caveats/Limitsto the Quicksilver.

Those are facts you just cannot dispute... just be happy with your 2% card w/Caveats and Limits... I'm happy with my 1.5% No Gimmicks/Gotchas/Caveats/Limits/ card. Its all about whats best for you.

I'm done arguing this, its evolved into a stupid debate.
Citi Double Cash Mastercard gives 2% back without limits, no yearly fees, and no categories. Just 2% back on everything you buy and pay off, sent to you by check or however you request it.

Can you let me know what the catch is? Someone (you?) mentioned earlier that it's a trick because you only get a full 2% back if you pay the card off, but shouldn't you be doing that anyway? And then someone mentioned it may take a month or two to get that 1% after pay off... And? I still get it. Who cares?

Old 03-23-2015, 05:24 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
I absolutely love Discover. They are great with getting cash back, handling disputes and they have always done well with customer service to. I use it for online and offline purchases.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:57 PM

anyone have the united club card? united is my primary airline so i figure id be able to use any points i can get. my wife has a lot of shoes so i could use the free 2 bags for the main 2 passengers. can i take my wife & two young children to the lounges? if so, that would be nice.

i have a lot of credit cards and im considering cutting down the # of cards.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:01 AM

one thing about the united points is that it only works out good financially if you can get the saver fare. I just looked into a flight for my wife and daughters and she has to change the dates a little to get the saver fare. she may be able to do that but I don't always have the flexibility. once you start using the standard fare the value per point drops below 1 cent.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:19 AM

6 posts, read 7,868 times
Discover has always been great with me. I was traveling and left my wallet at home accidentally (with noone to get it for me). Discover overnighted me brand new card (SOOO FAST) and the whole process took me maybe a 10 second phone call. Amex on the other had had me on hold for a long time last time I lost a card.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
one thing about the united points is that it only works out good financially if you can get the saver fare. I just looked into a flight for my wife and daughters and she has to change the dates a little to get the saver fare. she may be able to do that but I don't always have the flexibility. once you start using the standard fare the value per point drops below 1 cent.
this has led me to change my choice to the ritz carlton card. because its benefits also work with Marriott, I think I can use them and get a good value out of the points. I think the hotels don't ********* over as much as airlines.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:43 PM

97 posts, read 118,818 times
I'm not saying anything new that has not already been said, but the way I do it with my 800+ FICO as well.

-Chase Freedom (first credit card) - 5% rotating
-Discover IT - 5% rotating
-Sallie Mae - 5% Amazon, 5% gas, 5% groceries (including walmart and target near my home) within it's limits/restrictions
-Citi Double - 2% for everything else I can't get more than 1%.
-Costco AMEX - Got this a long time ago as well. Usually use it when I shop at Costco and get gas there.

To make reminders easy I tape a small cheat sheet in my wallet for rotating categories and maximizing cash back. Since I see it daily opening my wallet I pretty much memorize categories. Bills that can be paid without CC fees I auto pay to my Citi Double.

I played it safe for a while, but since now I don't plan on taking out a huge loan or necessarily need the high credit score (currently 800+), I plan on taking advantage of the great intro bonus cards. Since we travel a lot i may get a few and even keep one if it makes sense at the end. The rest I will just cancel before the end of the year. Examples are Marriott Visa, Southwest, Hawaiian Air, Alaska Air, Chase Sapphire Preferred, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance