U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 06:56 AM

1,592 posts, read 2,547,315 times

Advertisements

ok real quick, back in September we moved into a new home. Tried to transfer service from cable company to new residence. Didn't work so well, they couldn't get phone system turned on, and internet went out 3x in one week. Cancelled service, returned equipment which I got a receipt for. 3 weeks later received a refund check for approximately $30.00. I figured since they sent me a refund check, I was paid a little ahead, and I cashed the check, and figured case closed.

Last night I get home there is a collections letter from Credit Protection Agency for $25.60, stating I am past due from previous cable provider. I called, and didn't argue with the collection agent, but she was belligerent. I'm not going to fight over $25.00 not worth it to me, I paid it online, they had my acct # from the cable provider, etc etc.

Does something this minor since I did pay it, and the letter from the agency was dated 1/5/2015 affect my credit in a derogatory way? All my other bills (mortgage, car payments, credit cards, etc) I have never ever been late, when my wife and I got approved for our mortgage over the summer we both had 790 FICO scores...and this is my first collection letter ever. Not happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 07:16 AM

1,096 posts, read 958,417 times
I wouldn't worry about it. Do you need to borrow money anytime soon?

I would probably call the cable company and ask if the charge is legit and what it was for and why havent they sent you a bill.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:48 AM

no need to borrow anything, I know I should fight it on principal but I don't want to drive down to the cable office, etc etc for $25 not worth my time and aggravation. Collections rep said they don't report but they probably just say that to get people to pay. I never dealt with a collection agency before...man they were persisent for $25 but I guess it's their job. I paid by credit card to show proof of receipt, and kept the confirmation # they sent me (I'm anal about record keeping). It just took me back how they never sent me an email, phone call etc to let me know there was an issue then I get the notice....

I would NOT want to have these collections people badgering me for a delinquent mortgage, medical bills etc. It is paid and taken care of, but not a good feeling

Old 01-14-2015, 07:56 AM

1,096 posts, read 958,417 times
Collection agencies are the worst. Good job keeping the confirm# and paying with CC to record transaction. Yeah $25...I wouldn't worry about them.

Collection agencies will do anything to get payment....they LIE, CHEAT and even STEAL. Lets hope its over and done with. If there is no need to borrow any money anytime soon then essentially it really doesn't matter what it does to your credit.

Good luck!

Old 01-14-2015, 08:22 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,908,089 times
Why don't you pull your reports and see if they are reporting?

Old 01-14-2015, 08:37 AM

they put additional $$ on my credit card then I can dispute that and they will be hearing from my attorney. I kept the receipt of the refund check the cable provider sent me in October, I kept the receipt as proof I returned the cable boxes/modem etc. Just the way they handled it was really trashy, send me a refund check, then 3 months later a collections notice? Glad I cancelled them....hard to belive I could find a provider worse than Comcast, but I did.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:53 AM

12,672 posts, read 9,909,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
ok real quick, back in September we moved into a new home. Tried to transfer service from cable company to new residence. Didn't work so well, they couldn't get phone system turned on, and internet went out 3x in one week. Cancelled service, returned equipment which I got a receipt for. 3 weeks later received a refund check for approximately $30.00. I figured since they sent me a refund check, I was paid a little ahead, and I cashed the check, and figured case closed.

Last night I get home there is a collections letter from Credit Protection Agency for $25.60, stating I am past due from previous cable provider. I called, and didn't argue with the collection agent, but she was belligerent. I'm not going to fight over $25.00 not worth it to me, I paid it online, they had my acct # from the cable provider, etc etc.

Does something this minor since I did pay it, and the letter from the agency was dated 1/5/2015 affect my credit in a derogatory way? All my other bills (mortgage, car payments, credit cards, etc) I have never ever been late, when my wife and I got approved for our mortgage over the summer we both had 790 FICO scores...and this is my first collection letter ever. Not happy.
Why are you even asking - you can check your credit at no charge.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:40 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,895,649 times
www.annualcreditreport.com - check it there, if it isn't showing up then you should be good and you're right, not worth the hassle for $25 to dispute it....which is probably what they count on.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:47 AM

have to pay for it as I requested it less than a year ago when we were applying for mortgage. Whatever I'm good on everything else, no biggie

Old 01-14-2015, 09:48 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,908,089 times
If the CA is reporting it, paying will not remove it. It will be there for 7 years dragging your scores down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance