U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 09:17 AM

3,018 posts, read 5,095,142 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am currently throwing extra money at my mortgage payment since I currently pay PMI. I would like to refinance within the next year and hopefully have enough equity that I don't need to pay a PMI anymore.

In my case I am currently applying my extra money towards the Principal amount, however I do have the option to put it towards interest.

Here are my questions:
1) Why would anybody pay extra towards interest?
2) Wouldn't paying extra towards interest mean that you are being charged extra interest on the principal that still exists? Whereas if you applied extra payments towards principal there is less principal to charge interest on.
3) Given my goal of trying to avoid paying for PMI, is allocating my extra money towards principal a good idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 09:20 AM

12,404 posts, read 9,212,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Hello All,

I am currently throwing extra money at my mortgage payment since I currently pay PMI. I would like to refinance within the next year and hopefully have enough equity that I don't need to pay a PMI anymore.

In my case I am currently applying my extra money towards the Principal amount, however I do have the option to put it towards interest.

Here are my questions:
2) Wouldn't paying extra towards interest mean that you are being charged extra interest on the principal that still exists? Whereas if you applied extra payments towards principal there is less principal to charge interest on.
3) Given my goal of trying to avoid paying for PMI, is allocating my extra money towards principal a good idea?
1. Not towards pure interest, but towards future scheduled payments. If you pay toward principal only, then you have to make the full payment next month. OTOH, paying future scheduled payments gives you the flexibility to "skip" a payment if needed without incurring late fees or a credit hit.

2. Interest is charged on the outstanding principal balance. Any money not applied to principal thus does not reduce the cost of interest.

3. Yes, provided you have at least 6 months of bills held in an emergency account.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:22 AM

26,875 posts, read 57,944,657 times
Quote:
I am currently applying my extra money towards the Principal amount
When I saw the thread title I was worried that someone didn't get it.

Quote:
3) Given my goal of trying to avoid paying for PMI
is allocating my extra money towards principal a good idea?
Only other way is waiting for market values to rise enough to up the equity.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:26 AM

2,303 posts, read 2,125,226 times
Quote:
Hello All,

Here are my questions:
The only time I can ever think that paying extra towards interest makes sense is if you're not going to be around to send a check. Let's say you were going out of the country for 2 months. You could prepay your mortgage essentially. With the common use of auto draft, i'm not sure why anyone wouldn't just use auto pay, but some people still like to write the check each month. (Note: I'm assuming that would work, in reality I've never paid extra towards interest, nor would I ever, this is just about the only stretch scenario I can come up with. In practice, I think it's more of a "gotcha" tactic by the banks)

But for you, you're definitely looking to pay towards principal, because the situation is exactly as you described it. The principal that still exists continues to generate interest.

For PMI, you need to get your outstanding balance below 80% of your property value, so yes, principal is what you're trying to pay down.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:31 AM

3,277 posts, read 2,343,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
1. Not towards pure interest, but towards future scheduled payments. If you pay toward principal only, then you have to make the full payment next month. OTOH, paying future scheduled payments gives you the flexibility to "skip" a payment if needed without incurring late fees or a credit hit.
I have never seen this on mortgages, have you? I've seen it on student loans.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:33 AM

12,404 posts, read 9,212,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
My father's first two mortgages were like that.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:39 AM

1,096 posts, read 898,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Yeah when I was paying off my student loans they were screwing up and paying future payments. it wasnt that much so I didnt bother trying to get them to fix it.

On my mortgage I don't see that option.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:44 AM

2,303 posts, read 2,125,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms493 View Post
Yeah when I was paying off my student loans they were screwing up and paying future payments. it wasnt that much so I didnt bother trying to get them to fix it.

On my mortgage I don't see that option.
It depends on the company. My mortgage with US bank has that option.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:02 AM

8,011 posts, read 22,532,873 times
My current mortgage is like that too. If I make extra payments, it pushes out my next due date. But then, it is also a non-amortized loan. Every month, the amount that goes to principal and the amount that goes to interest remain constant.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:10 AM

7,391 posts, read 4,439,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
It depends on the company. My mortgage with US bank has that option.
My mortgage is with Wells Fargo. I have the option to apply towards future payments too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or