U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 01:51 AM

71,584 posts, read 71,751,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
How in earth are you still not following what happens when cash is paid and the reinvested?
so I can reinvest the dividends and have a pending tax that needs to be paid. then if I have no free cash flow for the taxes I roll the dice that if I need the money a few months latter to pay the tax I risk selling at a loss to pay the tax.

that sounds like a sound strategy well thought out .

someone should stick to taxes I think and not financial planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 05:31 AM

18,857 posts, read 13,611,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
so I can reinvest the dividends and have a pending tax that needs to be paid. then if I have no free cash flow for the taxes I roll the dice that if I need the money a few months latter to pay the tax I risk selling at a loss to pay the tax.

that sounds like a sound strategy well thought out .

someone should stick to taxes I think and not financial planning.

You so you either sell at a loss to cover the taxes, sell at breakeven or sell at a gain creating another tax liability for the next tax year to cover last years liabilities

Old 01-28-2015, 03:00 PM

841 posts, read 1,083,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Not really. Put money in savings every pay period. Remove money from savings if owe taxes at end of the year. Or are you saying that saving is the part that is hard to do?
But that IS what I do; that's the whole point of what I'm saying: I increase withholdings to take this into account, so that if I do get an unexpectedly large tax bill because of distributions, it's covered. But then, if there isn't such a distribution, I get a large refund, so I've "made an interest-free loan to the government." I rather have the first situation covered than worry about the second.

Anyway, interest rates are so low nowadays that what am I losing here? Maybe $1?

Old 01-28-2015, 04:14 PM

6,091 posts, read 2,823,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
How in earth are you still not following what happens when cash is paid and the reinvested?
I am following it just fine.

Is it your belief that if it is reinvested, it is no longer available?

Even if reinvested, it is simple to liquidate the entire position, or just the amount necessary to pay the tax. The money is available. That you aren't understanding this is pretty amazing.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
if you have a business, right? not personal
Fully deductible for business, and personal (if you itemize).

Old 01-28-2015, 04:17 PM

917 posts, read 1,052,692 times
Im glad Im from a state with no tax!! Im not getting much. Being a single independent woman with no kids doesnt pay off come tax season lol

Old 01-28-2015, 04:33 PM

71,584 posts, read 71,751,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I am following it just fine.

Is it your belief that if it is reinvested, it is no longer available?

Even if reinvested, it is simple to liquidate the entire position, or just the amount necessary to pay the tax. The money is available. That you aren't understanding this is pretty amazing.
simple to liquidate is one thing . being a wise move is another . not only will you have a tax bill but there is a 50/50 chance you could lock in losses selling to raise tax money over the course of a year.

it would be poor planning and poor thinking ahead.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:38 PM

8,857 posts, read 5,132,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
Im glad Im from a state with no tax!! Im not getting much. Being a single independent woman with no kids doesnt pay off come tax season lol
True, but it pays off lots in other ways! Lol.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:40 PM

8,857 posts, read 5,132,953 times
Quote:
simple to liquidate is one thing . being a wise move is another . not only will you have a tax bill but there is a 50/50 chance you could lock in losses selling to raise tax money over the course of a year.

Locking in losses results in a tax deduction, not a tax bill.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:

I don't disagree. But the only issue that I was addressing was the availability of the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or