Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:33 PM

5 posts, read 4,352 times

Advertisements

I need some advice about my student loan situation. I graduated last May (2014) with about $115K student loan debt from my undergraduate institution. Like so many other graduates, I have not been able to find a job in my field. I have applied to over 200 jobs with no luck. So I am pretty much at this point resigned to the fact that I am not going to find a job any time soon because the economy is awful for recent graduates. Many of my friends are in the same situation with even bigger student loan debt, and I refuse to go back to school to take out even more debt and be in the same situation as I am now.

So I am currently working at a restaurant living at home with my parents. I barely make squat, but the student loan agencies are starting to call me all the time to get me to start paying my loans back. I can't afford to and I have told them this repeatedly, but they don't seem to care and keep calling and harassing me for payment. I haven't paid anything towards the loans, and I don't plan on paying anything for them either because I can't afford it. Some of my friends who are in almost the exact same situation said the loan companies have started to go after their wages.

In order to avoid this happening to me, my family owns and business and my parents have suggested I start just working at the business and getting paid under the table. If I go about doing this right, what can the loan companies really do to me? Can they go after my parent's house or business, or what would be some other ramifications? Thank you for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 07:35 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Let's plan to break the law and post about it on the internet

Old 01-08-2015, 07:43 PM

5 posts, read 4,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Let's plan to break the law and post about it on the internet
No law has been broken. I was asking about a future scenario, and the ramifications of that potential scenario.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:58 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Student_Loans View Post
No law has been broken. I was asking about a future scenario, and the ramifications of that potential scenario.

I didn't say a law had been broken

Old 01-08-2015, 08:10 PM

274 posts, read 353,433 times
I realize this isn't an answer to your direct question, but ... why can't you get a deferment?

https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loan...nt-forbearance

Old 01-08-2015, 08:20 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon2 View Post
I realize this isn't an answer to your direct question, but ... why can't you get a deferment?

https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loan...nt-forbearance
This would be my suggestion. You have 3 years worth of deferment to use. However, I believe interest still accrues during the deferment period.

As for your questions, I doubt they'd go after your parents. But if you fail to pay, I'm sure the loan companies will report you to the credit unions. Then a bad domino affect starts. Your credit is affected for years as negative entries take years to drop from your report. Then you finally get interviews. During the hiring process, you'll find that more and more employers in addition to the background check will also do credit checks. They see you have bad credit and may think you are more prone to bribes, theft, etc. No job for you.

Don't start off your post college time on a bad note.

Be a big boy and solve your own problems, mommy and daddy aren't going to be around forever to provide the hammock for you.

Personally, I'd rather work a few crappy jobs and pay my bills than cling on to mommy and daddy but this seems to be a different generation.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:22 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Student_Loans View Post
I haven't paid anything towards the loans, and I don't plan on paying anything for them either
Either get a deferment or start paying something.
Ignoring the loans are not going to make them disappear.

And, as the poster above mentions, it COULD hamper future employment.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:42 PM

107 posts, read 266,608 times
If you are making squat, I would definitely recommend working at your parents business. This is not uncommon at all with family businesses and it could at least give you a little bit of money for some breathing room. In the mean time, keep looking for more serious jobs. 115k is a substantial amount of loans. If you have any government loans, put them on the Income Based repayment plan (where you payments could be close to, if not $0). With private student loans, the situation is trickier. See if you can put those loans on hold. If not, maybe try making some measly payment every month, like $2.

Don't listen to the people on the forum who simply rehash their conservative ideology. Your parents gave you good advice when they suggested working under the table.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:56 PM

381 posts, read 642,323 times
Are most of your loans Federal student loans or private loans?

Old 01-08-2015, 09:12 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
I was going to suggest Income Based Repayment (IBR), which actually does not require a monthly payment at incomes below ~$15K per year but it's not available for private student loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance