Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 02:08 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake View Post
Hi - I need some advice. We have received forclosure papers and I'm not sure how to handle this in the best way. The attorney for the bank says the bank will make payment arrangements with me. The bank says we have to have $5600 - we can only give them $4000 right now. We can make the difference up in a couple of weeks, but they wont even take what we have. We can get this all caught up - I know we can - but we need time.

Here's what happened - I lost my job in the summer. Am back to work. I just need time to catch up on everything. We are 90 days behind. But they are counting this month against us too. So they want 4 months of payments.

Can anyone tell me what I can expect? What kind of payment arrangements would be reasonable?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
First - it depends upon the laws of your state in large measure. What state are you in?

In general, a lender can refuse to reinstate a loan unless all payments in arrears are brought current, and any costs of foreclosure are paid.

That said, and again in general, lenders do not want a non performing asset in their inventory - I would certainly suggest that going beyond the person who answers the phone at your lender is in order.

I would call and ask for the manager of the loss mitigation department - they may be able to work out something more equitable to you, and to them.

Also, and you did not say this in your post, IF your loan is an FHA or VA loan, contact them - they might also be able to help.

Also, you might also want to check with a lender in your area that does FHA loans - there are a couple of brand new FHA programs available for individuals in your situation - it might be worth a look

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 02:09 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Contact your local tv/newspaper for help. Businesses/banks do not want bad publicity.
Say what? This isn't a case of the mortgagee being wronged. Personal hardship or no, they still owe the money.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:40 PM

20 posts, read 48,668 times
Thank you all for your advice.

I live in NJ.

Greatday - I didnt think I would be able to qualify for a refinance or something being we're so far behind. You think it is? Also - we do not have an FHA or VA loan.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:46 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your advice.

I live in NJ.

Greatday - I didnt think I would be able to qualify for a refinance or something being we're so far behind. You think it is? Also - we do not have an FHA or VA loan.
They actually have a new loan for people who are behind - in fact, you can't qualify for this product UNLESS YOU ARE behind -

Have faith - it will work out. BUT, you must get after it - don't let it slide!!!

Old 01-08-2008, 07:29 PM

We are going to try, and already have a couple of calls in, but I have a feeling it won't work because of the loan to value ratio. We owe 303K, my guess is going to be the house would appraise at 325K or maybe 340K. We are also trying to get through to the mortgage company's loss mitigation department but having trouble with that as well. When you first call the message says the hours are until 9pm CST, but even at 6pm EST we get a recording saying they are closed! Thank you for your advice.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:52 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
If you have $4000 that you can pay them now how did you get three months behind?

Old 01-09-2008, 09:04 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Hi - I need some advice. We have received forclosure papers and I'm not sure how to handle this in the best way. The attorney for the bank says the bank will make payment arrangements with me. The bank says we have to have $5600 - we can only give them $4000 right now. We can make the difference up in a couple of weeks, but they wont even take what we have. We can get this all caught up - I know we can - but we need time.

Here's what happened - I lost my job in the summer. Am back to work. I just need time to catch up on everything. We are 90 days behind. But they are counting this month against us too. So they want 4 months of payments.

Can anyone tell me what I can expect? What kind of payment arrangements would be reasonable?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
I'm sure people here will want to help, and willl give well meaning advice, but you need to go get some local professional assistance FAST. If you don't, you may lose your house! Run, don't walk.
I'm in NJ as well, so if you need a name of an attorney, I can probably give you one. Let me know.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:22 AM

Thank you Bill! If it gets to that point I will surely ask for a name. Hopefully it won't. We have been reviewing different options over the last few days. The mortgage company has not been easy to deal with but we are treating them like gold! Thanks for the advice. We have never been in the type of situation before, so I'm nervous, but we won't let any time go by. I have spoken with their attorney, and they suggest we deal directly with the Mortgage company - they said we can do a "workout". So we are looking into that with them. Thanks again.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:32 AM

5 posts, read 17,902 times
What state is the home in?

Old 01-09-2008, 09:40 AM

New Jersey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance