U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 10:00 AM

474 posts, read 771,982 times

Advertisements

So I finally got finances under control and am able to start saving up, I opened a high-yield savings account for my emergency fund and am also opening Roth IRAs for my husband and myself. Right now my budget looks like we will be able to set aside about $1,000 - $1,500 per month, and I was planning on splitting it $250 in my IRA, $250 in my husband's, and the remaining into our emergency fund until we get a solid 3 months expenses.

If I put in only $250 per month, what would be the best method of investing? We are 26, so looking for moderate to aggressive growth. I was thinking commission-free ETFs, since the lack of commission means less money taken out if we do several small purchases. Are ETFs a good idea, or is there a better option for investing small amounts each month? I also have a stand alone brokerage account, but I usually save until I have enough funds to buy 30+ shares of stock, usually close to $1000 for the companies I currently hold positions in, but for the IRA I'd prefer to do smaller but regular deposits and invest them immediately rather than holding in a cash sweep vehicle for a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 01:58 PM

26,158 posts, read 28,555,015 times
Most mutual funds normally accept $100 as their minimum increase, although most funds do require a minimum of $1000 for IRAs.

There are a few good mutual funds that have low minimum requirements.

FPA Crescent (mix of stocks & bonds). $100 minimum for IRA.

Amana Growth or Amana Income. $100 minimum for IRA.

If you wait until you have $1000 for your IRA, options open up.

Dodge & Cox's funds are excellent and have $1000 minimums for their IRAs. I particularly like Dodge & Cox Balanced. It has a nice low expense ratio of .53%.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:18 PM

8,870 posts, read 5,152,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
So I finally got finances under control and am able to start saving up, I opened a high-yield savings account for my emergency fund and am also opening Roth IRAs for my husband and myself. Right now my budget looks like we will be able to set aside about $1,000 - $1,500 per month, and I was planning on splitting it $250 in my IRA, $250 in my husband's, and the remaining into our emergency fund until we get a solid 3 months expenses.

If I put in only $250 per month, what would be the best method of investing? We are 26, so looking for moderate to aggressive growth. I was thinking commission-free ETFs, since the lack of commission means less money taken out if we do several small purchases. Are ETFs a good idea, or is there a better option for investing small amounts each month? I also have a stand alone brokerage account, but I usually save until I have enough funds to buy 30+ shares of stock, usually close to $1000 for the companies I currently hold positions in, but for the IRA I'd prefer to do smaller but regular deposits and invest them immediately rather than holding in a cash sweep vehicle for a few months.
ETFs with no commission are fine, but you will have to set your own asset allocation and add new money accordingly.

A good, broadly diversified, all-in-one mutual fund is simpler, but you may pay slightly more in expense ratios.

But the real kicker with ETFs is that unless you are an index investor, you may not be able to buy the fund(s) you prefer as an ETF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance