U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 07:02 AM

6,343 posts, read 7,794,138 times

Advertisements

I found my name and the address given for me was that of a former employer. I had to document that I would have had a connection with that address. Fortunately, I had copies of my old tax returns with attached W-2s from the employer! Of course, I had to attach other information as well, but SS number was on the W-2s so they were going to get it anyway. I did get the money.

A word of caution: Don't pay anyone for "finding" this information for you. It is available free from the state.

Good Luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 07:08 AM

70,858 posts, read 71,228,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The US Census Records from 80 years ago are public records now, that should show he lived then.

NYC (or state) also did a 5 year Census in between back round then also.

1930 Census
1940 Census - U.S. Census Bureau
they know he lived there. they wanted me to produce something I had linking him to that address and me.

don't forget birth certificate had no ss number in those days. there is nothing but a similar name linking us.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:42 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,203,026 times
Default Success

Found my wife's name via missingmoney.com when this thread was originally started few months ago (albeit I accessed the site via the NJ state treasury website just to be safe). Went through the claim process and lo and behold, we received a check from NJ Treasury for $300+ yesterday and another check is coming for $80.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:53 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,012,368 times
My Grandmother's name is on that site. We know exactly what the money was from. She bought a house and the escrow company was taken over by state regulators because they were stealing from escrow accounts. The escrow company owed her the excess funds she had paid into for the house, but could not cut her the check before the state took over the account. Then she passed away before the state got around to sending her the overpayment money.

My aunt tried to collect the money. She was in charge of grandma's estate. She had to send them a certified death certificate, which she did. They lost it and wanted another copy. So she sent the state another--her cost for the certified death certificates--2-- was $60 so far. Next they wanted proof that grandma sold that house, so my aunt sent the closing statement that showed the money due back to grandma at the exact figure they had in her lost money account. Then they wanted a copy of the will giving the money to the aunt. BUT the will did not specify that money because grandma thought the state was keeping it, and did not put it in the will. But the will left everything to my aunt. That was not good enough for them. And they would not return the death certificate.

So she was out several certified mailing and the cost of the death certificates--so it did not work for us

And grandma is still listed and no one in our family will try again as we know CA will not release that money to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or