Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 10:06 PM

10,356 posts, read 7,988,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancellor14 View Post
You aren't obligated but you should want to help out. They may have not paid there bills in the past, but that can change. You know your family members situations better then any bank...
If they haven't paid their bills in the past, why SHOULD I help them? Let them demonstrate some fiscal responsibility first before hitting me up for help with a loan.

Shielding a financially irresponsible person from the negative consequences of their behavior isn't helping, it's enabling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
If I don't have the money I won't. Example: I have 100k in savings and one of my family members wanted me to cosign for a car...why wouldn't I?
Because in the larger scheme of things 100k isn't a huge amount of money, and long-term you can't afford to lose 10-30% of it? If you cosign a loan, YOU are 100% responsible for repaying it if your relative defaults on it (which they may very well do). If you'd be unwilling to just buy them a car, you shouldn't cosign their loan. Don't give away money you truly cannot afford to lose!

Old 02-02-2015, 10:21 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
this is what I am talking about...selfish. How could you let him lose his home while you had enough money in the bank to stop it??
It was easy.

He wasted his money.

I worked........while they went to FL.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:56 PM

213 posts, read 237,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Because in the larger scheme of things 100k isn't a huge amount of money, and long-term you can't afford to lose 10-30% of it? If you cosign a loan, YOU are 100% responsible for repaying it if your relative defaults on it (which they may very well do). If you'd be unwilling to just buy them a car, you shouldn't cosign their loan. Don't give away money you truly cannot afford to lose!
If I bought them the car then I would truly lose the money. By co-signing they'll be paying for it...if I have to make a few payments for them fine, I'll be more reasonable then some bank.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:59 PM

213 posts, read 237,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It was easy.

He wasted his money.

I worked........while they went to FL.
I see what you are saying plus he was just your brother-in-law so I might not have helped either. But if it were my biological brother I'll definitely help at least for a little while.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
If I bought them the car then I would truly lose the money. By co-signing they'll be paying for it...if I have to make a few payments for them fine, I'll be more reasonable then some bank.
They'll be paying for it only IF they actually choose to repay you. You can't force them to do so, and if they default you'll have absolutely no legal recourse against them. And you'd be surprised just how many people "forget" or suddenly "can't afford" the payments once they gain the object of desire.

"Don't loan money" is generally sound advice. There can be limited exceptions to that rule (a few have been mentioned in this thread), but they are rare. In general, if a bank whose business is the loaning of money is unwilling to extend your relative a loan, that's a big red warning flag you ignore at your peril.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:56 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
I see what you are saying plus he was just your brother-in-law so I might not have helped either. But if it were my biological brother I'll definitely help at least for a little while.
If they were on vacation while losing their house, they are bad with money and make bad decisions. Giving someone money who has already proven themselves to be bad with money is just enabling them. It is essentially no different than giving an alcoholic a drink. It might keep them going a bit longer, but it doesn't fix the underlying problem.

If someone is honestly trying and just can't make ends meet, that is a LOT different from someone who takes the family to Disneyland while their house payment goes unpaid.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
If someone is honestly trying and just can't make ends meet, that is a LOT different from someone who takes the family to Disneyland while their house payment goes unpaid.
It's certainly different from an ethical standpoint, but it may not be different from a financial standpoint. Is there an end in sight to their financial woes? Do they have a realistic plan for how to get on a better long-term financial footing? If not, are you willing to take on the full burden of the loan if they can't pay it back despite their best attempts?

When people loan money, they generally expect to be repaid. Don't loan money to someone who is unlikely to repay you! It just causes hard feelings. (Gifts, on the other hand, provided they are freely given, are fine.)

Old 02-03-2015, 11:27 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It's certainly different from an ethical standpoint, but it may not be different from a financial standpoint. Is there an end in sight to their financial woes? Do they have a realistic plan for how to get on a better long-term financial footing? If not, are you willing to take on the full burden of the loan if they can't pay it back despite their best attempts?

When people loan money, they generally expect to be repaid. Don't loan money to someone who is unlikely to repay you! It just causes hard feelings. (Gifts, on the other hand, provided they are freely given, are fine.)
The person I quoted was saying it was "bad" to not just give money that you have to someone who needs it. I was disagreeing because sometimes it just delays the inevitable. I do agree with you that it doesn't necessarily make a difference when it comes to cosigning for a loan.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:44 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
I wouldn't do it. If I could afford to repay the loan if they defaulted, I'd just give them the money.

I might make an exception if the family member wanted to take out a loan for the purpose of building credit. But I still wouldn't do it unless I was in a position to write a check to pay the loan off without having to sacrifice anything. And I'd go into it with the mindset that I'd eventual wind up paying it off in order to avoid hard feelings if the primary borrower defaulted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance