Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 04:02 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,205,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
My barber charges $9 for a haircut and I tip $1 even though he owns the shop. I tip employee barbers more than that, usually 20%, the old standby was you needn't tip the owner of the barber shop. But the guy is friendly, gives a good, fast hair cut, and is in a small town where business can be light.
Same here, my barber is very reasonable and does a great job so I give him a tip even though he owns the shop. He recently cut his tip in half when he raised his price for $8 to $9, though. He didn't seem too put out about it; when he was still charging $8 he acted like $2 was a huge tip.

The stylist in the town where I work that I sometimes go to as a matter of convenience recently cut her tip to nothing when she raised her price to $17.50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 04:05 PM

102,125 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The flat white coffee drink was $4. A suggested tip was $3.

The cashier at Café Grumpy, a New York City coffeehouse, swiped the credit card, then whirled the screen of her iPad sales device around to face the customer. “Add a tip,” the screen commanded, listing three options: $1, $2 or $3.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/01/bu...ttom-well&_r=0
The $3 tips would be for couples or groups getting coffee and maybe pastries or a sandwich. Kind of a no-brainer.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The $3 tips would be for couples or groups getting coffee and maybe pastries or a sandwich. Kind of a no-brainer.
Or people with more money than sense.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:55 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,542,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i hate it when i get handed a credit card receipt which includes a tip space for a transaction that historically wasnt one that involved tipping. i think the only place i go to regularly with that issue is baja fresh. its basically fast food counter service, since when do you tip for that? it feels awkward putting a line through that space and writing the same total but thats what i do.
I do the same thing to make sure nobody tries to get any ideas with that blank tip line.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:11 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,486,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
If i Pay Cash I tend to round up, and leave the change in the tip jar, (if its like 25-50 Cents) I'm also a regular at the bagel place when i do cash. ( Get "extra Cream Cheese" and don't get charged for it, Probably because of the little tip I toss in the jar.)
I find tip jars to be very tacky and just ignore them. I especially hate the ones with a handwritten message on them practically trying to guilt you into tipping. In a case like yours tho, where they're actually doing something extra, I would make an exception.
In a bar, especially when it's crowded, I give a large tip right up front and tell the waitress/tender to never let our glasses go empty. That works well.
I never get coffee out and only drink it black, but if I ordered a drink that required some level of care/precision, I would leave a tip. For the same reason I tip my barber, the waiter, and the guys at the car wash. They can just go through the motions or they can do a more attentive job. But 75%? That's a bit ridiculous.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
In a bar, especially when it's crowded, I give a large tip right up front and tell the waitress/tender to never let our glasses go empty. That works well.
Some people just don't get this. One night I was at a bar in my hometown with some friends and acquaintances from out of town. There were probably 8-10 of us at a large table; it wasn't extremely busy, but we were getting low on drinks and realized that the waitress, who had been very attentive earlier in the evening, hadn't been by our table to check on us since she brought the last round. It was my turn to buy so I went up to the bar to order. I didn't mention the service issue, but the waitress (who happened to be a schoolmate of mine) apologized for not coming back to the table and explained that the reason she didn't was the last round came to over $19 and the lady who bought made it a point to tell her she wanted the change back from a $20 which ticked her off. I apologized and gave her a generous tip, she took good care of us the rest of the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance