Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 08:36 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I tip at full service restaurants, my haircut, if I get a massage, food delivery, etc.
No way do I tip for take out (unless it's on a company expense, then I do) or walk up service.

One thing that annoys me, but I still do it, is tipping almost every time you get a drink at a bar.
And the question would be "Why?" Is a bartender more worthy than a barista?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 11:05 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
I still tend to tip about 25% for food service, maybe a bit less somewhere like Subway - virtually the only fast food place that tends to have a tip jar. Since the server is assembling your meal in front of you, I always feel that they deserve a tip for being polite, friendly, and doing a good job of it. Its not really rational, but probably stems from having slightly more interaction with them than the average fast food server. Usually I'm just buying my own there, so it costs $6-7 and I tip a buck.

I usually tip a buck on coffee, if there is a jar. I rarely charge for under $10, so it's easy to just drop some of the change in a jar. I doubt I would return to a place that suggested a 75% tip - that raises a couple red flags at least.

My barber charges $9 for a haircut and I tip $1 even though he owns the shop. I tip employee barbers more than that, usually 20%, the old standby was you needn't tip the owner of the barber shop. But the guy is friendly, gives a good, fast hair cut, and is in a small town where business can be light.

I used to sometimes deliver furniture for the custom shop I worked for. Usually the people who did the sanding got that task, but sometimes they needed a cabinetmaker along, either because it was big and heavy and another body was needed or because there was some technical assembly to do. Tips were not expected and I believe were actively discouraged by the owner. There was one consistent repeat client who always tipped regardless. We all liked that guy and would go over and above to keep him happy. Tips do tend to make a big difference, especially in a case like that.
When I go for fast food somewhere with a tip jar--where the employees should be paid at least minimum wage, I pay with my credit card and bypass the difficulties of the tip jar and the awkward totals after sales tax.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:04 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
I actually tip pretty well for delivery drivers. Gas was pretty expensive up until these past few weeks, but I also understand wear and tear on a car is not cheap either. But I absolutely do not tip for take out.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:31 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Because they make less than min wage without tips and if you want good service you don't *********r server. Plus, if you tip well they remember you, give you more alcohol, faster service, and will kick out people that mess with you. You don't have to tip, but you will probably wait 20 minutes for a drink.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:16 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
When I go for fast food somewhere with a tip jar--where the employees should be paid at least minimum wage, I pay with my credit card and bypass the difficulties of the tip jar and the awkward totals after sales tax.
Same here.

I don't like it though when the receipt has a tip line on it, which non chain restaurants tend to do.

Or just use the debit and not credit option, if you have that choice.

Even a local Jiffy Lube store has a slot in the front desk for tips.

Ridiculous.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
I still tend to tip about 25% for food service, maybe a bit less somewhere like Subway - virtually the only fast food place that tends to have a tip jar. Since the server is assembling your meal in front of you, I always feel that they deserve a tip for being polite, friendly, and doing a good job of it. Its not really rational, but probably stems from having slightly more interaction with them than the average fast food server. Usually I'm just buying my own there, so it costs $6-7 and I tip a buck.

I usually tip a buck on coffee, if there is a jar. I rarely charge for under $10, so it's easy to just drop some of the change in a jar. I doubt I would return to a place that suggested a 75% tip - that raises a couple red flags at least.

My barber charges $9 for a haircut and I tip $1 even though he owns the shop. I tip employee barbers more than that, usually 20%, the old standby was you needn't tip the owner of the barber shop. But the guy is friendly, gives a good, fast hair cut, and is in a small town where business can be light.

I used to sometimes deliver furniture for the custom shop I worked for. Usually the people who did the sanding got that task, but sometimes they needed a cabinetmaker along, either because it was big and heavy and another body was needed or because there was some technical assembly to do. Tips were not expected and I believe were actively discouraged by the owner. There was one consistent repeat client who always tipped regardless. We all liked that guy and would go over and above to keep him happy. Tips do tend to make a big difference, especially in a case like that.
Glad you brought this up. We ALWAYS tip movers, and we usually tip people we hire to do heavy manual labor projects in the yard, which is a couple of times a year.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:35 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
This is such a disputed subject and one where more and more seem to now get on the bandwagon with their hands out, that I've decided that, to be fair, I'll just tip everybody that provides any kind of service.
You should have seen the look on the face of guy that personally walked me across half the store to show me where the toilet seat bolts are at Home Depot. It was only a little less confused than the cashier at Walmart who had to stand there and tediously ring up 42 items.
But I know they'll spread the word to all the other employees that this is what should be expected and you'll probably start to see TIP jars everywhere!

Old 02-03-2015, 12:28 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The flat white coffee drink was $4. A suggested tip was $3.

The cashier at Café Grumpy, a New York City coffeehouse, swiped the credit card, then whirled the screen of her iPad sales device around to face the customer. “Add a tip,” the screen commanded, listing three options: $1, $2 or $3.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/01/bu...ttom-well&_r=0
i hate it when i get handed a credit card receipt which includes a tip space for a transaction that historically wasnt one that involved tipping. i think the only place i go to regularly with that issue is baja fresh. its basically fast food counter service, since when do you tip for that? it feels awkward putting a line through that space and writing the same total but thats what i do.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:08 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
No, and that's my point about why it annoys me. Maybe the difference is that in a really busy place, the bartenders will remember who tips them and who doesn't so you may be waiting a lot longer to get your drink if you're not tipping.

That being said, all the person did was throw some ice and booze in a glass and overcharge me by about 500%. Is that really worthy of any additional $1? no.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:48 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
We tip (and well) for good restaurant service, salons, the pizza/flowers delivery person...when we pick up that pizza, we don't add to that tip jar. And furniture deliverymen? You've got to be kidding. They're paid by the company, don't pay for their own gas, and many are union employees.

Suckers, we're not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance