Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 03:37 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times

Advertisements

Driller1 said he traded it in - it was not sold, no money was exchanged.
Which is a Like-Kind Exchange, which is a Nontaxable Exchange.

Anyway, I have no horse in this race. I do know what was allowed by our auditors and the IRS with our egg machinery years ago. Who knows what rules have changed since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 03:39 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
There isn't a gain in the transaction if you paid a million for something and sold it for 300k. Ncole's point is if you wrote off 1mm in depreciation you'd have to account for the 300k you got for something you completely wrote down
Sure there is, because if you depreciate the property down to zero you've reduced the basis. You are correct in that gain in this case would entirely be depreciation recapture and thus characterized as ordinary income rather than capital gain.

That said, on a 1031 exchange one does not have to recognize gain (in general), assuming you use the proceeds to purchase similar property within a certain time frame. Since this is the intermawebz I'm not about to try and get into details of section 1031, even if I knew them all off the top of my head. Also, drilling in general has all sorts of little wrinkles that may not apply to other industries.

The upshot is that one can effectively put off gain recognition for a long time with some careful planning, and even when gain is finally recognized, they might be able to offset some of the recognition with depreciation from other assets.

All of this is a completely separate issue from claiming something as completely used for business when it's not, which apparently was the item you raised earlier in this thread.

I'd also include a Circular 230 disclaimer that I'm an idiot and you shouldn't trust anything I say, but apparently that stopped being required in the middle of last year. But I haven't stopped being an ignorant idiot, so there's that.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:40 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Driller1 said he traded it in - it was not sold, no money was exchanged.
Which is a Like-Kind Exchange, which is a Nontaxable Exchange.

Anyway, I have no horse in this race. I do know what was allowed by our auditors and the IRS with our egg machinery years ago. Who knows what rules have changed since then.

So you can fullyright off an asset say 1mm, trade it in on another 1mm asset only pay 700k out of pocket and writeoff another 1mm?

Old 02-06-2015, 03:49 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times
Quote:
So you can fullyright off an asset say 1mm, trade it in on another 1mm asset only pay 700k out of pocket and writeoff another 1mm?

I know you weren't asking me this, but in general no, basis carries over on a 1031 exchange.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:50 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
I know you weren't asking me this, but in general no, basis carries over on a 1031 exchange.

Okay that makes sense

Old 02-28-2015, 10:24 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Okay that makes sense
Eventually though you will have taken an amount equal to the basis in depreciation deductions. If the basis has depreciated to less than $300k and this is carried over to the next asset, then once your depreciation deductions on the new asset add to this amount, then you have to start paying taxes on that income from that point forward. (the IRS doesn't allow you to have a negative basis, right?)

This is no loophole in the tax code. In the long run, your total cashflow cannot be highly positive while your GAAP or taxable earnings are zero. In the short run, sure. But eventually the tax shield well runs dry, and you must pay the piper.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:27 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Like dieting, unless you are prepared to commit, and my feeling is you are not, then it would be a waste of their time and yours. You would just sling your list of excuses at them like you do us.

Instead of spending so much time trying to lower the water, you need to concentrate on raising the bridge , but you have not shown us one step in that direction. everything you post is about dumbing something down or lowering standards.
Yep, I couldn't agree more.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:33 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
and our government doesnt lie to us every day? who cares if he is lying? he is taking the risk and doing us all a favor by avoiding giving more money to our politicians to dole about based on bribery.
This is the infectious cheater's mindset that created Greece. Do we want to emulate them? That's where this mentality takes us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance