U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 10:19 AM

2,887 posts, read 4,803,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
No, unless they want the peace of mind from not having a lien on their property.
With a zero balance, there is no lien on their property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 12:08 PM

5,538 posts, read 5,055,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
This reads funny, don't let your brother eliminate your parents because of their high credit score.

I think the biggest risk is identity thief. The HELOC can be drained easily like a credit card.
Lol! Believe me, there have been times......

After reading these responses, I suspect my brother's biggest concern IS identity theft. Brother has a laundry list of concerns, some of which I think are valid and some of which I think are silly. He wants to meet with a financial advisor, but mom has been fighting us for years. We have some pieces of the puzzle in place, like POAs, etc, but nor all. This is definitely a team effort and no shady operations on anyone's part. Mom has finally agreed to meet with her broker; I don't think he is the best advisor for some of our issues, but I'm going to contact him in advance with the laundry list to see what he can help with.

IMHO a HELOC is a good thing to have in your back pocket, Especially since Mom is considering a move soon.

two notes:
1) Not all HELOCs expire. These do not, and I have one that will never expire. I inquired at one of the banks, and they were not inclined to close them. I'm sure I could, but I would have to drag mom over there to do it and she just doesn't think it is important. Getting her to agree is a challenge, and making it happen is a BIGGER challenge.

2) You CAN get a credit card for a HELOC. I got one for mine recently. I thought it was strange, at first, but then someone pointed out to me that mortgage interest is tax deductible, and Credit card interest is not, so why not use the HELOC for those unexpected expenses? I don't carry much of a balance, but still....

Thank you for your responses!

Old 02-04-2015, 04:01 PM

4,418 posts, read 5,275,640 times
It is a card that can be used where credit cards are accepted but not technically a credit card.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:14 PM

12,694 posts, read 9,926,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
With a zero balance, there is no lien on their property.
The lien can only be removed by CLOSING the home equity line of credit:

http://homeownership.org/news/happen...-zero-balance/

Old 02-04-2015, 06:47 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,803,483 times
Quote:
The lien can only be removed by CLOSING the home equity line of credit:

http://homeownership.org/news/happen...-zero-balance/
True, but the lien is for zero dollars, so what is the damage involved. If they wish to enforce a lien against a zero balance, they won't get much..!
The story said you can't sell property with a LOC open. Not true. I sold my last home with an open LOC. The loc is paid off in escrow before you receive funds from the sale.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:18 PM

466 posts, read 477,257 times
The question still has not been answered whether parents are mentally incapacitated in some way. The children are certainly very involved...

Old 02-05-2015, 12:44 PM

12,694 posts, read 9,926,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
True, but the lien is for zero dollars, so what is the damage involved. If they wish to enforce a lien against a zero balance, they won't get much..!
The story said you can't sell property with a LOC open. Not true. I sold my last home with an open LOC. The loc is paid off in escrow before you receive funds from the sale.
Refinancing may be difficult, though. Even a zero balance lien would need to be re-subordinated, right?

Old 02-05-2015, 12:48 PM

7,236 posts, read 4,110,132 times
Quote:
Refinancing may be difficult, though. Even a zero balance lien would need to be re-subordinated, right?
It's not too tough - you just close the HELOC before you begin the refinance process. Tales all of 10 minutes at the bank to do it. I had a zero-balance HELOC on my house before I refinanced it, and it caused no significant delays in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or