Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,752 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have approximately $22,000 in student loans at a 6.55% interest rate. With my current budget, I can afford to pay up to $900 a month in student loan payments, but I would not save any money as a result. I know the usual response is to pay back the loans as soon as possible. However, my work gives me money to help pay for student loans. After taxes, I receive $250 a month to put toward student loans (this amount is calculated into the $900). I can take part in this program for up to 5 years.

I am not the best with numbers and would like to find the best method to pay off my loans. How can I maximize my work's repayment program, yet not accrue tons of interest by elongating my loan payment timeframe? Are there any recommendations on excel spreadsheets to do the calculations? Any advice is welcome. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 09:22 PM

15 posts, read 14,912 times
I would certainly try to take advantage of your work program as much as possible. That sounds like a great benefit!

I'm in a similar situation with student loans (in terms of debt and interest rate) so if I'm not mistaken that $250 should almost entirely be close to covering the full minimum payment. If you're certain you'll be working there for 5 years then I would calculate the amount to put in that would result in a 5 year paydown. As a rough guess assuming it's a traditional 10 yr loan it should be less than double your minimum payment amount. At $900/mo you're probably more on track for a 2-3 yr paydown that would not take full advantage of your work benefit.

Ballparking it say if the minimum is say $290 and you put in $600 (including the $250 from work) you should be guaranteed to pay it off within 5 yrs. Without doing any fancy calculations realistically you can probably put in a bit less than this and be OK since you should benefit from reduced interest along the way. Continuing my example assuming your minimum was $290 than I bet even if you put in about $500 ($250 personal contribution) it would be paid off within 5 yrs, or very close to it. I would do that and not bother with an excel sheet personally and you can always make adjustments toward the end to make it close in 5 yrs

You definitely don't want to pay it down faster than the 5 yrs because then you are throwing away free money essentially (since the amount they will pay outweighs the interest on the loan) You could take the extra money and invest for retirement or save, etc

Old 02-02-2015, 09:40 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,245,736 times
i would pay that off as fast as possible!

Old 02-02-2015, 09:42 PM

213 posts, read 237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needadvice427 View Post
Hello,

I have approximately $22,000 in student loans at a 6.55% interest rate. With my current budget, I can afford to pay up to $900 a month in student loan payments, but I would not save any money as a result. I know the usual response is to pay back the loans as soon as possible. However, my work gives me money to help pay for student loans. After taxes, I receive $250 a month to put toward student loans (this amount is calculated into the $900). I can take part in this program for up to 5 years.

I am not the best with numbers and would like to find the best method to pay off my loans. How can I maximize my work's repayment program, yet not accrue tons of interest by elongating my loan payment timeframe? Are there any recommendations on excel spreadsheets to do the calculations? Any advice is welcome. Thank you!
Slice that payment in half. You need to be saving money too. You can't pay for emergency expenses with savings from student loans. Save at least half of that 900 a month.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:01 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needadvice427 View Post
Hello,

As long as the work benefit is more than the interest cost of the loans, keep the loans and hoard your cash, since the effective interest rate is negative. When you leave the job, or when the 5 year period ends, you may be able to just pay the loans off in one fell swoop. You'll come out ahead this way.

22000 * 0.0655 = 1441 (annual interest)

250 * 12 = 3000 (annual benefit)

3000 > 1441

Don't pay anything more than the minimum as long as you can get the benefit. Stockpile cash.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:04 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms493 View Post
i would pay that off as fast as possible!
So would I!!!!!

Old 02-03-2015, 09:09 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
So would I!!!!!
Pretty hefty "peace of mind fee"...

Old 02-03-2015, 09:12 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Pretty hefty "peace of mind fee"...
To me "peace of mind" is not owing.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:13 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,245,736 times
Yes it is a personal preference but personally I would not move forward until that monkey is off my back. I would save a small amount for emergencies(1K-2K)and then just destroy that debt ASAP. You don't want that on your books when you are unemployed (yes this could happen).

Old 02-03-2015, 09:20 AM

493 posts, read 980,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
As long as the work benefit is more than the interest cost of the loans, keep the loans and hoard your cash, since the effective interest rate is negative. When you leave the job, or when the 5 year period ends, you may be able to just pay the loans off in one fell swoop. You'll come out ahead this way.

22000 * 0.0655 = 1441 (annual interest)

250 * 12 = 3000 (annual benefit)

3000 > 1441

Don't pay anything more than the minimum as long as you can get the benefit. Stockpile cash.
This also doesn't take into consideration the tax benefit with the student loan interest deduction. Assuming your job is stable, take advantage of the $250 benefit and save the extra money for emergencies. The risk with this approach is if you lose your job. However, if you lose your job you can get deferments on the student loans, but your other bills will still have to be paid. Basically, you would have paid down a loan that you wouldn't have to worry about if you lose your job at the cost of not having any emergency funds saved up. If you spend all your spare money on loans at the cost of not having emergency savings then you:

Lose out on the tax deduction
Lose out on the $250 monthly work benefit
Put yourself in a very poor position if you lose your job

Personally, I'd pay the monthly minimum or $250, whichever is greater, save the rest in a savings account with a decent return. Once you have a solid 3-6 months of emergency savings or the 5 year work benefit runs out, then you can increase the payments to get out of debt, or alternatively start saving in a retirement account. 6.5% is not horrible, you can reasonably get a better return by investing, although that does have some major risks as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance