Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 10:10 AM

264 posts, read 854,881 times

Advertisements

My parents have their primary home they bought 20 years ago for $300K and still have a mortgage of $300K (I know..)- market value is around $500K. They want to give us the house - or to my kids (young kids). How can we get this done with minimal tax implications? we would not live there as a primary residence (though we would live there for a year) - we plan to rent it out afterwards. We'd appreciate some advice! We will talk to a real estate attorney but I wanted to do research beforehand to see if this would work somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 10:43 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
I'm pretty sure their cap gains are tax free and there is no gift tax due from your parents if they file to apply the gift vs their lifetime cap

Old 02-08-2015, 11:10 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabellava View Post
My parents have their primary home they bought 20 years ago for $300K and still have a mortgage of $300K (I know..)- market value is around $500K. They want to give us the house - or to my kids (young kids). How can we get this done with minimal tax implications? we would not live there as a primary residence (though we would live there for a year) - we plan to rent it out afterwards. We'd appreciate some advice! We will talk to a real estate attorney but I wanted to do research beforehand to see if this would work somehow.
Hopefully, you are talking about something (A) left in their will, as opposed to trying to (B) give you the house while they are still living.
You just ain't gonna believe what option (B) would cost you..........

White Elephant:
A possession which its owner cannot dispose of and whose cost, particularly that of maintenance, is out of proportion to its usefulness.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:20 AM
fzx

399 posts, read 511,824 times
Donot forget higher property tax. Seniors and residents usually have higher homestead exemptions.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:37 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Hopefully, you are talking about something (A) left in their will, as opposed to trying to (B) give you the house while they are still living.
You just ain't gonna believe what option (B) would cost you..........

White Elephant:
A possession which its owner cannot dispose of and whose cost, particularly that of maintenance, is out of proportion to its usefulness.
A couple of concerns

What's mom and dad's financial situation? I assume that in giving you the house they are giving you the debt... are you ready for that?

I'm glad someone said something about the maintenance costs of the property. Is the property going to be easy to lease out? Are there any major repairs or updates needed in order to make it desirable to renters? Are you going to hire a property manager? Usually that is about 10%. If you still owe $300k on the house how much will you need to charge in rent? And remember, a house that is at least 20 years old is only going to need more and more care.. roof, water heater, appliances, furnace, etc. Interest rate on the loan will be important to note, but I can just see this arrangement being very expensive to maintain.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:54 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabellava View Post
No where do I see that you even WANT the house....

Your location is Vienna... Austria? West Virginia? other? European tax laws will differ from those of the USA.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:12 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No where do I see that you even WANT the house....
Reminds me of the time when my future mother-in-law was going to give us one of her rental properties as a starter home (it had been her starter home about 30 years earlier). She didn't owe a dime on the place, but it was in a not-so-nice area of town and in terrible condition... graffiti in the garage, rotted floor in the bathroom, leaded paint, etc... At first I was excited about the $45k valued property, but when I realized what we were really getting into I totally freaked out.... my fiance was an extremely handy guy and was going to do everything himself.. but it started to consume all our weekends. ... I'm sure after $10k worth of parts and God knows how many hours of labor we could have gotten that place in decent condition.... I don't know because we broke up...

But my point is that after a few weeks of work and consideration I realized that she what she was "gifting" us was a burden, not an asset.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:28 PM

264 posts, read 854,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I'm pretty sure their cap gains are tax free and there is no gift tax due from your parents if they file to apply the gift vs their lifetime cap
Ok- thanks, this is helpful. Yes, their cap gains is tax free after 20 years.

Re. the place- they left the area recently and are living in another property. They don't want to deal with the selling and want to gift it early. the place is in a good location and in good condition - a few upgrades but we know the house extremely well and are not concerned. We would rent it out and have already calculated we'd make money if it was the same mortgage amount of $300K. The house next to ours has been rented almost the entire 20 years - renting out will not be hard at all given location and short commute. We live 5 minutes from their house so we would not use a rental mgt firm. We do want the house and can assume the mortgage for a while if it doesn't rent. My parents own the other property they moved into.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:30 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,468 times
A gift of a $500k home is a boost of your income of $500k, and the resulting taxes. Have them put it into a trust for you to inherit it when they die to avoid taxes.. You can still take over ownership and taxes ans maintenance, just that they would officially own it until they pass on..
Go see your tax man...

Old 02-08-2015, 01:22 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
A gift of a $500k home is a boost of your income of $500k, and the resulting taxes. Have them put it into a trust for you to inherit it when they die to avoid taxes.. You can still take over ownership and taxes ans maintenance, just that they would officially own it until they pass on..
Go see your tax man...

You are completely incorrect, please refrain from giving advice on this topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance