U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 702 times

Advertisements

yes it's very doable. I live on it now and raise 2 boys. I just don't spend on useless things. I also own my own home and drive a Lincoln. We go on vacation ever year and also to a lot of sightseeing and activities on the weekend. I'm not a mall shopper and I am very frugal with coupons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 11:37 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,441,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachey1 View Post
yes it's very doable. I live on it now and raise 2 boys. I just don't spend on useless things. I also own my own home and drive a Lincoln. We go on vacation ever year and also to a lot of sightseeing and activities on the weekend. I'm not a mall shopper and I am very frugal with coupons.
You are raising two boys on $32,000 a year? Without any other form of government assistance or "baby daddy" payments? How is that possible?

Old 01-29-2016, 11:57 AM

18,868 posts, read 13,631,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
You are raising two boys on $32,000 a year? Without any other form of government assistance or "baby daddy" payments? How is that possible?

There might be some assistance but per the user's profile that income figure is right on average for the area and median hh value is 77k+/-.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:23 PM

4,562 posts, read 4,736,112 times
I could definitely live on $16.50/hr. I don't know that I could support a household on $16.50/hr.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:51 PM

13,948 posts, read 7,429,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
No.

If I made less than $80k a year (before taxes) I would have to go out the way of the Samuri.

Now, somebody that doesn't travel alot, contribute to stripper's college costs, skydive and enjoy life could live on less.

But $80k is my minimum - cut off point for ending it all. I could probably survive off credit cards for 3-4 months if something went wrong. Otherwise: my lifeforce is trancending to the other side when I can't roll like I do anymore.

The double shot of Jagermeister and Heineken I just put down in a bar while typing this cost $16 and it was hardly worth an hours labor/time.

A double shot of cough syrup and a skunked beer. Nasty! I'd want to pop a hand-full of Oxycontin and end it all after that, too.

"Could" I live on $16.50 / hour? Sure, but I'd have to do some major life restructuring.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:43 PM

115 posts, read 94,143 times
Absolutely. That's a lot of money if it's in US Dollars. I get paid $14 an hour which is a decent wage here in Ohio. I can find a studio apartment for as little as $300 a month and old houses go for as little as a few grand. If all else fails, you can try living out of a van.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:24 AM

4,446 posts, read 2,619,895 times
It's all relative.

It depends on where you are, and what your lifestyle is.

Some people would Kill to get $15/hr let alone $16.50 with a guaranteed raise every year.

Others would NOT think of working so ow as $16.50/hr.

That, {at full time}, is what we make a year with several incomes via extra jobs. In our area we are considered lower middle income. It'd be nice if only one job actually paid that here.
Even general LPN nurses make less than $16.50/h here.
WE just qualified for a conventional mortgage here on a nice well built house. But our house could go for 3 time as much in a bigger city.

I know a person in NYC who was a baggage handler at the aiport making that, but COL is higher obviously in the city. REnt controlled apartment comes at a $1300/m price there. That would be more than double our mortgage!

It's all relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or