Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:54 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times

Advertisements

Canada dumbed down it's wages in the eighties. It didn't come back except for some manufacturing in Ontario and Quebec and contracting out industries (security, trucking, distribution, warehouse) all pay that up here with few exceptions. Interestingly those few exceptions outside long time Union positions are American companies following their own protocols: Pepsi, etc.

You can live on 16.50 an hour legal payroll in Vancouver/Calgary if you don't own a car, and you don't need one in those towns. If you don't smoke, don't drink, and don't live on processed food and have a mate with their own job, it's all good. But you'll never save much.

Anything above that, with no kids, you'll have a chance to save a little, as basic medical is n/c in Alberta but that's the way it is. Lot's of things to do no charge, but you're living like a nun.

Last edited by thedwightguy; 02-05-2015 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: finish idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 10:36 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
It depends on COL. Where I live most college grads start out making $13 an hour. I can live on less than that because I was raised by a single mom making minimum wage in the poorest part of rural Kentucky. I still live a very cheap lifestyle. I drive a 10 year old Toyota, never get tickets or in wrecks so my insurance is cheap, I eat out just a couple of times a week, I live in as cheap apartment as I can find, and when possible I buy used clothes rather than new. My mom grew up without electricity or indoor bathrooms in the 1940s/50s. It's all in your perspective I guess

Old 02-05-2015, 10:39 AM

3,331 posts, read 2,136,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Again, it depends on lifestyle expectations.
Absolutely.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:39 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpingfalcon View Post
Im planning on working with AirPort Security but they said I will be making 16.50$ an hour. Can you live on that?
The question is, can you?

Edit: Oh, you're Canadian. Of course you can. You get free health care. Why even ask the question?

Last edited by jtab4994; 02-05-2015 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Oh, you're Canadian.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:45 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,828,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
One of the most amazing comments I've ever read on the internet.

The KID should starve, or survive on tuna/potatoes/beans/, live like a pauper, not attend college, etc because ....THEY (not the MOTHER) aren't WORTH child support.

Men ought to think about this BEFORE creating a life that will be totally dependent on them. Bad enough they lose a FAMILY but now have to live like paupers for the FATHER. Or have to grow up exposed to some hostile negative nasty man always putting down the mother.

IMO, once you have a kid you ought to be WILLING to work a complete second job for 18 years if you cannot afford YOUR FAIR SHARE of financial RESPONSIBILITY. Not be worried about girlfriends and going to bars.

Really outrageous and MEAN. I pity your kids. But they're not alone in the hostile, resentful father department.

SPECIFICALLY, how much SHOULD your kid need to live? Name a figure. And it has NOTHING to do with your income. HOW MUCH DOES A KID COST YEARLY? How much does it cost to save for college? How much does it cost to PUT A RESERVE EMERGENCY FUND ASIDE of eighteen months living expenses like the experts recommend. How much do diapers alone cost? How about vitamins? They cost about $60.00 a year alone. Tell THAT to your GIRLFRIEND.

P.S. If you are the "victim" of one of these rotten American Women who you got pregnant because your were more concerned with booty call over creating another HUMAN BEING... while making 32K a year no less? You should be fully aware that the courts have a percentage scale that applies to EVERY parent and you have no reason to complain OR BLAME the MOTHER. Direct your anger where it belongs - at yourself.
Exactly why I'm not having kids! I'm MGTOW baby !!

Old 02-05-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delahanty View Post
men are the only ones who should "think about this" before creating a life?

How about the women who are content to keep flopping out kids by different fathers, then go on to finger uncle sam as the baby daddy? It's the responsibility of both parties.
^^^^^^^^^ This!

Old 02-05-2015, 11:34 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
If I had to I could.. I enjoy lots of things that don't cost a fortune and can take a vacation once a year for pretty cheap....

Old 02-05-2015, 11:57 AM

574 posts, read 696,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
- If I live in a low cost of living area.

- Bought all my food from the grocery store and cooked it.

- Tried to buy more CHICKEN than Beef.

- Have a low value car without full coverage insurance (if I had a car at all)

- Didn't have student loans.

- Rented a studio apartment that's almost empty.

- Didn't have cable.

- Didn't have a girlfriend that I had to "entertain"

- Rarely went out to clubs, bars, sporting events, restaurants, movies, etc.

- And last but not least....if I didn't have kids.......

Then yes, someone could live off that if it's 40 hours a week. That's just about $32,000 a year gross. Not only could you live on that but you could live OK with that, OK = not living paycheck to paycheck totally.

If you have a kid, forget about it, especially with an American Woman as she will make sure that your child support is about $20,000 a year out of your $32,000 a year gross salary!
Very good post. One comment - living in a high-cost area (as I do) can definitely mean you can go without a car completely.

Definitely with you on staying away from the American girls, for both financial and mental sanity. Actually, I still want to get married/have a family, but I intend to do so outside of the US, where the girls are less entitled and the system doesn't exist to screw men over. A country where family is still valued and 50% of marriages don't end in divorce, the vast majority initiated by women. But perhaps we're getting a little off topic...

Old 02-05-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentGrad1 View Post
Very good post. One comment - living in a high-cost area (as I do) can definitely mean you can go without a car completely.

Definitely with you on staying away from the American girls, for both financial and mental sanity. Actually, I still want to get married/have a family, but I intend to do so outside of the US, where the girls are less entitled and the system doesn't exist to screw men over. A country where family is still valued and 50% of marriages don't end in divorce, the vast majority initiated by women. But perhaps we're getting a little off topic...
Totally agree, if you are going to get married or make kids go foreign my friend! Also if you haven't heard of MGTOW as well as the MRA Movement, look them up and join the Manosphere

Old 02-05-2015, 12:30 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Totally agree, if you are going to get married or make kids go foreign my friend! Also if you haven't heard of MGTOW as well as the MRA Movement, look them up and join the Manosphere
Does that come complete with it's own rubber room and straitjacket? (Or in the case of these kooky "movements," a straightjacket?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance