U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 04:04 PM

220 posts, read 208,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Are you including saving for repairs and replacement? A lot of people forget to include that. Also, what about health insurance?
Well ya I included that. Clean I make 11 300$ in my pocket. And Im guessing my car and motorcycle aint gonna break down everyday lol

Also health care is free here in Canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 05:13 PM

9,373 posts, read 5,296,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
He sounds like an irrational person that uses extreme examples to extrapolate to a made up average.
Man.. I've been trying to describe it in a single sentence and there it is!

Old 02-05-2015, 05:13 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,432,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I'm actual a conservative, vote that way nearly all the time. That's where your bs starts to breakdown but there are many other examples
Conservative? With the stances you take and promote on here? Are you kidding me lol??

Old 02-05-2015, 05:17 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,113,764 times
Yes. You can live on any wage that's more than $9.00 a hour unless you are prone to overspending.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:18 PM

18,724 posts, read 13,497,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Conservative? With the stances you take and promote on here? Are you kidding me lol??
What stances are you speaking of?

Old 02-05-2015, 06:56 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,152,628 times
You can live very cheap if you do without most of the expenses most people have. How much do you spend on your cell phone, your cable or satellite TV service, the rent on your luxury apartment, your car if you live in a city with plenty of buses and don't really need a car, beef at the supermarket instead of cheap chicken, a $5.79 Big Mac meal instead of a $1.00 McChicken, booze, drugs, gambling, credit card interest, those are where people's money goes. Not on the basic cost of living. If you live on fixed income from the government, you can live even cheaper, because you don't have any job expenses, such as work clothes or uniforms, transportation to work, the cost of an expensive restaurant when your Republican boss takes you out to lunch "Dutch treat", etc. But no matter how cheaply people live, they tend to use up the rest of their income too, on stuff stuch as stock market speculation, entertainment that costs money, etc. In other words, they spend and/or lose the money, just because they have it. And a lot of people, if they have credit cards, they max those out too, just because they have them. Their most economical years tend to be those years when their credit is too horrible to qualify for any credit cards. Frugal people use credit cards for the rewards, such as 2% cash back, etc., and always pay in full every month. But what percentage of people are frugal? That alone is a huge part of figuring the cost of living: whether you're frugal or not.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:41 PM

12,667 posts, read 9,907,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
You can live very cheap if you do without most of the expenses most people have. How much do you spend on your cell phone, your cable or satellite TV service, the rent on your luxury apartment, your car if you live in a city with plenty of buses and don't really need a car, beef at the supermarket instead of cheap chicken, a $5.79 Big Mac meal instead of a $1.00 McChicken, booze, drugs, gambling, credit card interest, those are where people's money goes. Not on the basic cost of living. If you live on fixed income from the government, you can live even cheaper, because you don't have any job expenses, such as work clothes or uniforms, transportation to work, the cost of an expensive restaurant when your Republican boss takes you out to lunch "Dutch treat", etc. But no matter how cheaply people live, they tend to use up the rest of their income too, on stuff stuch as stock market speculation, entertainment that costs money, etc. In other words, they spend and/or lose the money, just because they have it. And a lot of people, if they have credit cards, they max those out too, just because they have them. Their most economical years tend to be those years when their credit is too horrible to qualify for any credit cards. Frugal people use credit cards for the rewards, such as 2% cash back, etc., and always pay in full every month. But what percentage of people are frugal? That alone is a huge part of figuring the cost of living: whether you're frugal or not.
You left out what is often the single biggest one: Living without roommates...

Old 02-05-2015, 08:26 PM

13,292 posts, read 25,171,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpingfalcon View Post
Im planning on working with AirPort Security but they said I will be making 16.50$ an hour. Can you live on that?
You last posted that the company was paying $20 per hour.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:01 PM

2,603 posts, read 2,907,804 times
I'm living on 11.25 an hour and quite comfortably for now, so....yeah. You can make it.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:03 AM

2,056 posts, read 1,960,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
No.

If I made less than $80k a year (before taxes) I would have to go out the way of the Samuri.

Now, somebody that doesn't travel alot, contribute to stripper's college costs, skydive and enjoy life could live on less.

But $80k is my minimum - cut off point for ending it all. I could probably survive off credit cards for 3-4 months if something went wrong. Otherwise: my lifeforce is trancending to the other side when I can't roll like I do anymore.

The double shot of Jagermeister and Heineken I just put down in a bar while typing this cost $16 and it was hardly worth an hours labor/time.
POAST of the week. Thanks for the smile!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or