U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 09:58 AM

7,281 posts, read 8,833,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Received an email with regard to this:

Once Anthem determined it was the victim of a sophisticated cyber attack, it immediately notified federal law enforcement officials and shared the indicators of compromise with the HITRUST C3 (Cyber Threat Intelligence and Incident Coordination Center).

Anthemís Information Security has worked to eliminate any further vulnerability and continues to secure all of its data.
Anthem immediately began a forensic IT investigation to determine the number of impacted consumers and to identify the type of information accessed. The investigation is still taking place.

The information accessed includes member names, member health ID numbers/Social Security numbers, dates of birth, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses. Social Security numbers were included in only a subset of the universe of consumers that were impacted.

Anthem is still working to determine which membersí Social Security numbers were accessed.

Anthemís investigation to date shows that no credit card or confidential health information was accessed.

All impacted Anthem members will be enrolled in identity repair services. In addition, impacted members will be provided information on how to enroll in free credit monitoring.

Anthem has created a website Ė www.anthemfacts.com <http://www.anthemfacts.com> , and a hotline, 1-877-263-7995, for its members to call for more information.
Beware. Anthem is saying confidential health records weren't accessed.

What they aren't telling you is that with the information that was accessed, accessing those confidential health records is very simple.

See the cover up? The information that was stolen allows access to all other information, ALL OF IT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 10:04 AM

7,168 posts, read 4,088,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Yep. I'm waiting to see if I am even affected before I do anything.
I wouldn't wait, I'd be proactive and put a credit freeze and fraud alerts in place now as well as checking your credit reports. It's a problem that's easier to deal with before your data is misused than afterward.

I was in a similar situation a few months ago, when some unknown parties access a computer at my former workplace which held my SS# and current home address as well as my full legal name. I put a credit freeze on my accounts, and then as luck would have it a week later I found myself wanting to open up a new credit card. It was no big deal - I had to apply over the phone and the process took 20 minutes rather than 30 seconds, but it was easy.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:18 AM

8,692 posts, read 5,059,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I wouldn't wait, I'd be proactive and put a credit freeze and fraud alerts in place now as well as checking your credit reports. It's a problem that's easier to deal with before your data is misused than afterward.

I was in a similar situation a few months ago, when some unknown parties access a computer at my former workplace which held my SS# and current home address as well as my full legal name. I put a credit freeze on my accounts, and then as luck would have it a week later I found myself wanting to open up a new credit card. It was no big deal - I had to apply over the phone and the process took 20 minutes rather than 30 seconds, but it was easy.
I pull a credit report every 4 months, and get an email alert from Credit Sesame whenever a new account is opened.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:20 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,138,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Received an email with regard to this:

"Anthemís Information Security has worked to eliminate any further vulnerability and continues to secure all of its data."
I hope they do more than what they were doing to "secure all of its data".

Old 02-06-2015, 11:35 AM

7,281 posts, read 8,833,971 times
Credit freezes.

Okay, someone buys your most personal info. They establish a parallel identity. It doesn't involve credit just yet but does involve ID cards of varying types along with getting a certified copy of your birth certificate. It is really simple to do, go ahead and check.

Then they go to some stores that offer no-credit checks for large purchases. There are plenty that do it. Now they have lots of stuff for which you will eventually become liable.

Since they have your birth certificate, they can easily figure out a way to get anything else, after all, they have the holy grail of IDs now. They can even get a passport.

This whole credit freeze thing is a bunch baloney. Your credit will be the least of your problems if the wrong people get your information.

Guess what? The wrong people now have your information. Thinking credit is the only thing the people who buy this information are after is folly.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:39 AM

2,402 posts, read 1,643,183 times
Apparently Anthem doesn't encrypt the data when in storage and isn't required to.
anthem-didnt-encrypt-personal-data-and-privacy-laws-dont-require-it

Old 02-06-2015, 01:08 PM

8,692 posts, read 5,059,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Credit freezes.

Okay, someone buys your most personal info. They establish a parallel identity. It doesn't involve credit just yet but does involve ID cards of varying types along with getting a certified copy of your birth certificate. It is really simple to do, go ahead and check.

Then they go to some stores that offer no-credit checks for large purchases. There are plenty that do it. Now they have lots of stuff for which you will eventually become liable.

Since they have your birth certificate, they can easily figure out a way to get anything else, after all, they have the holy grail of IDs now. They can even get a passport.

This whole credit freeze thing is a bunch baloney. Your credit will be the least of your problems if the wrong people get your information.

Guess what? The wrong people now have your information. Thinking credit is the only thing the people who buy this information are after is folly.

Birth certificates are public records. Anyone can get anyone's. You do need to already know the birth name and the county of birth.

Agreed, innocent people may have a lot of problems as a result of this security breech. I am sure we are only going to see more and more of this in the coming years.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:19 PM

3,843 posts, read 9,412,975 times
Our company uses Anthem and we were affected as well. Today they sent out a warning that the hackers are already at it sending out phishing emails asking users to click on a link to activate credit card protection. They said Anthem will notify users by US mail only and not to respond to any email requests for information. They gave us an example of the fraudulent email that looks like this:

To subscribe to a free year of credit card account protection please click on thelink below and follow the instructions that will be required:

Clickable link here

Old 02-06-2015, 07:53 PM

15,619 posts, read 14,886,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I'm waiting to see if I am even affected before I do anything.
Anthem hack Q&A: What you need to know - LA Times

Old 02-07-2015, 09:19 AM

11,358 posts, read 20,154,735 times
Do NOT click/apply to any email link supposedly from Anthem offering to monitor your identity and credit - it's a scam - they will ONLY be sending offers in the US mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or