Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 05:45 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times

Advertisements

Have any of you been impacted? I was an Anthem member until Sun. - this one scares me, they got b/d, SSN, addresses, etc. - I contacted one credit bureau and put a freeze on (or whichever one is supposed to be for 90 days) (supposedly, they will contact the other 2) - from what I read though, this could have impact for years and years to come (some thieves will hold onto the data for quite awhile). Thoughts on what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 05:53 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
In their email, they stated, "Anthem will individually notify current and former members whose information has been accessed. We will provide credit monitoring and identity protection services free of charge so that those who have been affected can have peace of mind. We have created a dedicated website..." and they go on to list the website. Hopefully, those of us who've been affected will be notified.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:11 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
It was a fraud alert I placed - it could be years in the future that something happens, Anthem won't do that forever

Old 02-05-2015, 09:49 PM

174 posts, read 217,672 times
They got my info too

Old 02-05-2015, 10:13 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
It was a fraud alert I placed - it could be years in the future that something happens, Anthem won't do that forever
Place a credit freeze (not just a fraud alert) on your reports with Equifax, Experion, and TransUnion. It will cost you a small amount of money, but will make life much more difficult for anyone who wants to obtain credit in your name - and the freeze won't be lifted until you authorize it. Just make sure you keep the passwords the companies send you in a secure place, because you'll need those passwords any time you want to get a new loan or credit card, or to permanently lift the freeze.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:07 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
We were told by corporate that this includes our company as well. Toying with the idea of a fraud alert but don't want any of the hassles. were told that if anything should happen we will be fully covered for legal fees etc. the problem with the freeze is that it turns you into a person who must prove over and over who you are. I don't want that hassle. If I see stuff show up on my credit report I will take those steps at that time. Don't know whether this is the best thing but until it happens (credit monitoring in place) I will wait it out.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:27 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Place a credit freeze (not just a fraud alert) on your reports with Equifax, Experion, and TransUnion. It will cost you a small amount of money,
It is free in some states. I think the fee varies from zero to $10 per bureau, depending on state. It is also free if you are a victim of credit fraud (requires a police report).

Old 02-06-2015, 08:46 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Received an email with regard to this:

Once Anthem determined it was the victim of a sophisticated cyber attack, it immediately notified federal law enforcement officials and shared the indicators of compromise with the HITRUST C3 (Cyber Threat Intelligence and Incident Coordination Center).

Anthem’s Information Security has worked to eliminate any further vulnerability and continues to secure all of its data.
Anthem immediately began a forensic IT investigation to determine the number of impacted consumers and to identify the type of information accessed. The investigation is still taking place.

The information accessed includes member names, member health ID numbers/Social Security numbers, dates of birth, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses. Social Security numbers were included in only a subset of the universe of consumers that were impacted.

Anthem is still working to determine which members’ Social Security numbers were accessed.

Anthem’s investigation to date shows that no credit card or confidential health information was accessed.

All impacted Anthem members will be enrolled in identity repair services. In addition, impacted members will be provided information on how to enroll in free credit monitoring.

Anthem has created a website – www.anthemfacts.com <http://www.anthemfacts.com> , and a hotline, 1-877-263-7995, for its members to call for more information.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:47 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
There isn't much you can do besides perhaps locking down your credit. Beyond that if someone really wants to use your data they are going to do it.

There are plenty of places that will issue credit without a credit report, they even advertise this on TV ads and such. About that you can do nothing.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:57 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
In their email, they stated, "Anthem will individually notify current and former members whose information has been accessed. We will provide credit monitoring and identity protection services free of charge so that those who have been affected can have peace of mind. We have created a dedicated website..." and they go on to list the website. Hopefully, those of us who've been affected will be notified.

Yep. I'm waiting to see if I am even affected before I do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance