U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 02:01 PM

2,409 posts, read 2,630,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I would guess that 99.9% of the population that purchases their score from any of the 3 major credit bureaus would opt to purchase their FICO score, not any other score that the company has to offer.

If the FICO company provides a score that they have generated, I would love to know how to purchase it. I have purchased my FICO scores from Experian, Equifax, and Trans Union and there is a big difference in all 3. I would love to see if FICO has a score available that I can purchase.
Yes. myFICO

Try this discount code for 20% off a single report: S1403STL20FST
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 02:14 PM

4,827 posts, read 7,252,849 times
Those are the scores from the credit bureaus, not from FICO itself. I already have my 3 credit bureau FICO scores. Not to mention, why would you pay $25/month to monitor your scores? I think getting the scores every 6 months is sufficient.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:25 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,738,755 times
Yes its usage and now much you pay off. It does not hurt your credit score to use 50k and pay it off; it adds. But using 50k and paying it off slowly means your score doesn't move much except if you miss a payment ;then it drops. More important is your available credit at what rates. Go to buy a big item then watch the rates when you have zero paid off usage versus higher not paid off as to rates you get. That is what counts; the lower rates it gets you.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:29 PM

2,409 posts, read 2,630,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
There is no such a thing as the FICO score. There exist multiple FICO scoring models, and each FICO model applied on each credit bureau's data generates a different FICO score. A non-FICO scoring model applied on each credit bureau's data generates a non-FICO credit score.

The credit bureaus do not produce FICO scoring algorithms. FICO is the only company in the world that develops FICO scoring algorithms. Saying FICO scores are different from scores generated by FICO is like saying iPhones are different from the smartphones that Apple designs and produces.
Quote:
Those are the scores from the credit bureaus, not from FICO itself. I already have my 3 credit bureau FICO scores. Not to mention, why would you pay $25/month to monitor your scores? I think getting the scores every 6 months is sufficient.
I explained what a FICO score is above. FICO provides the model, the credit bureau provides the data. The reports from Myfico based on Equifax and experian contain different FICO scoring models. A FICO score based on the same scoring model and same credit bureau at a given time is the same no matter where you purchase it from.

Not to mention, who suggested that you pay for monitoring services? Others may have a need; you probably don't.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:31 AM

8,589 posts, read 9,639,933 times
Quote:
At one point I actually signed up for that monthly credit monitor BUT I thought it was $25 YEAR. When I got billed that first month I immediately called and cancelled it. They did their best to talk me out of it but I told them I simply didn't NEED my credit monitored monthly. And I agree, every six months is plenty.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:03 AM

1,008 posts, read 1,115,438 times
How often does a credit score change? Every day or every month?

Old 02-19-2015, 08:50 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,909,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
How often does a credit score change? Every day or every month?
It is realtime so it can change when anything changes on your report that warrants a rescore.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:01 AM

1,008 posts, read 1,115,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
It is realtime so it can change when anything changes on your report that warrants a rescore.
Oh... Ok then. I did not know that.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:50 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,351,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3mpy View Post
Which is exactly what I'm talking about. How can a number that is so important to your life be so volatile? If I purchase a brand new iMac for $2800 Monday morning and schedule a CC payment Monday afternoon, it would be Wednesday morning before the payment clears. In the meantime, Equifax can take a peak Tuesday morning and say, "Wow, you spent some money! Must be hard times, eh?" Suddenly my credit rating has dropped 40 points.

It's such a rigged system. Looking at debt that is over 30 days old would provide a damper in the system.

As to why I use a credit card to begin with? So I can have a credit history for when I apply for a mortgage.
Not true. If you have a balance even for a week it will never show on your credit report. The only time you will have a balance shown on your credit report is if there's a balance on your account when the statement cuts.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:06 AM

8,223 posts, read 10,748,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3mpy View Post

Number two was "Too few installment loans." Apparently if you don't feel the need to purchase a new car every 5 years your credit rating will take a hit.
SInce i only have 3 credit cards and 1 installment loan my report is saying too few accounts.
I have no cc debt and only owe 3,000 on the installment loan(it was a car lease that is ending soon).
I also have no mortgage.

Because of this my score will never go above 720.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or