Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 11:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times

Advertisements

not so. you need a trade and a steady source of income.
the rat race is the one you have been given. run it well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 11:32 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Miller View Post
Luckily for me I don't eat cat food on that budget. I am able to go out to dinner sometimes and I wear a gold watch and rings to reflect my upward wealth mobility. I'm doing okay. I just hope I qualify for financial aid still despite being independent.
At least until the IRS catches up with you for not paying taxes, anyway.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:34 PM

319 posts, read 303,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
At least until the IRS catches up with you for not paying taxes, anyway.
I do pay my taxes actually. Before I used to survive on scant amounts of money. I'd live on a few thousand dollars a year and survive with gift income. If there's one thing I am it's a tax payer. I'm not hiding anything because I fear the IRS more than anything. I just live a comfortable yet frugal life.
Now that I work I'll use some of my savings to pay my owed taxes.
My mom and I know an EA who does our taxes and files them for us every year.
And maybe my investment income is more like 70%. Yeah. I'd say that's more realistic. I don't keep track. I just dump money into my brokerage and buy funds.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:18 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbear1234 View Post
I agree completely. This thread is complete nonsense.
It isn't, though. It is a very pungent reminder that so many are utterly unaware of the true struggle faced by those less fortunate in our society.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:17 AM

338 posts, read 556,509 times
Quote:
Save 90% of your income. Invest invest and invest some more. Don't rent. Own. If you do this you can be a millionaire in your 40s and avoid the rat race.
So do you plan on living with your parents for your entire life? I moved out at 17. It was actually one of the best things I've ever done. I'd do it all over again versus staying home and having the ability to save a ton of my income.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:31 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,622 times
Quote:
It's possible. You'd have to live at home like I do though. Of course I live an extremely minimalistic life. The way I see it I can act poor now and live like Frank Sinatra in my 40s.
If you don't mind living w Mommy and Daddy forever I guess you can save a lot. Of course, that might indicate "other" things about you, but at least you could save!

Old 02-11-2015, 12:33 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,622 times
Quote:
Because I'll kick them out at a certain age. They'll have access to the money to become Physicians if they wish so they don't have to rely on living here.
So you are living with Mommy, but you would kick your own kids out. LOL. Nice. You may need a lot of money because you probably won't have any friends.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:47 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
It's possible. You'd have to live at home like I do though. Of course I live an extremely minimalistic life. The way I see it I can act poor now and live like Frank Sinatra in my 40s.
No, "home" for me is 1,000 miles away from work. The commute would be by air and cost about $8,000/month. With a monthly income of $2000, I would thus be saving only about -300% of my income if I lived at home.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:20 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
As do I. When I sit on the beach near my miami beach house with a cigar in hand next to a beautiful woman I won't care how I got there. Just that I AM there.
Yeah, 'cuz living at home with mom is a real draw for the ladies.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:41 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,903 times
Moderator cut: personal remarks

Thomas Sowell says statistically you will stay out of poverty if (assuming one works): you graduate from high school, marry after 20, and don't have a baby until after marriage. I have always found that interesting at how simple that formula is.

I read a theory in my 30's that if you invest 20% of your gross income from initial employment forward, you can retire at 40 (or thereabouts) at the same income standard you are living at (current wages -taxes -20% gross earnings). I don't remember the math specifics behind it, but it was realistic.

Saving 20% of your gross may be near impossible for most people at the front end of their careers (it was for me!), and the ACA does change expenditure rates/costs from back when I read about the theory (it would still work if you bought catastrophic insurance for cheap, but under the ACA, that option is no longer available), so ACA requirements may extend out the retirement time line by a few years - still, an interesting concept.

Last edited by Marka; 02-20-2015 at 01:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance