Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 01:42 AM

1 posts, read 956 times

Advertisements

My car was reposesed on January 25th. I filled Chapter 13 on January 30th. My lawyer told me that I would be able to pick up my car as soon as I provided valid full coverage insurance for the car. Of course the quotes for my insurance premiums are through the roof and it's taken me some time to find and pay for a moderately reasonable option. I purchased insurance two days ago(February 11th) and contacted my lawyer to confirm. They called me back instantly and said my car should be available to pick up. I called the auto towing company holding my car and they said they never received notice that my car was to be released and that I needed to call the car company to confirm and get back with them after doing so in order to discuss their fees. I called the car company and sure enough they told me my car had been available for release on the 5th of February (my lawyer failed to mention this of course) and that they would contact the auto towing company and call me back. They called me back and said they sent the information to the towing company again and I should be able to pick it up. (Might I remind you this back and forth is all in one day). I call the towing company again and they tell me that they have my car and I can pick it up however they didn't allow pick ups that day and the next day I only have an window of time to pick it up or I can wait till Monday after the weekend to get it. The towing company is located on the other side of the city and is an hour away from me and I also have a full time 9-5 job. Is it legal for them to hold my car and only a lot small amounts of time during the week for me to get my car especially after I filled bankruptcy? And why wasn't I made aware that I could have picked up the car almost a week ago. I have spent over $400 in transportation to and from work since my car has been repossessed and I am even further inconvenienced due to the towing companies hours of op. Please help!

Singlemc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 04:03 AM

106,010 posts, read 107,976,655 times
short of picking you up and driving you how should someone help? the business can have whatever hours it likes. afterall you are the one who got your car repo'd and ultiimately it is you who has to go through the pain and effort to do what you have to do to get it back.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:43 AM

24,098 posts, read 10,427,317 times
Others may be inconvenienced through some of your doings. You had your car sitting on their lot while you were shopping around for coverage.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:06 AM

388 posts, read 534,152 times
As for your lawyer not telling you the car was available until you had insurance...
Your lawyer was correct.

While technically the car may have been available for release, an impound will not release a car unless the car is current, ie: up to date tag and insurance, and no pending tickets.

You mentioned your lawyer told you the car would be available once you get insurance.. which is correct
You mentioned it took you a few days to come up with the money due to the high premium.
Once you contacted the lawyer, you stated s/he called you back instantly that the car was avail.

So... at this time... I can't find no fault with him/her (...and I am no fan of lawyers)

Old 02-13-2015, 10:21 AM

106,010 posts, read 107,976,655 times
come on , don't you know when people fail at something it is always everyone and everything around them that is at fault.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:39 AM

388 posts, read 534,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBull13 View Post
As for your lawyer not telling you the car was available until you had insurance...
Your lawyer was correct.

While technically the car may have been available for release, an impound will not release a car unless the car is current, ie: up to date tag and insurance, and no pending tickets.

You mentioned your lawyer told you the car would be available once you get insurance.. which is correct
You mentioned it took you a few days to come up with the money due to the high premium.
Once you contacted the lawyer, you stated s/he called you back instantly that the car was avail.

So... at this time... I can't find no fault with him/her (...and I am no fan of lawyers)

"I find no fault with him/her..." ...is what I meant to say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance