Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 11:44 AM

319 posts, read 303,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Nothing's wrong with it per se. It's just that most people (Americans, at least) don't do it if they don't have to.
I have to. I am a high strung individual and am easily panicked/stressed. If I work into my 50s or 60s I will most likely suffer a heart attack. I need to invest so I can live a comfortable lifestyle as I age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 11:46 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Miller View Post
I'm 23, have 0 debt, and a net worth of 52k. I consider myself poor compared to most people. Is it really that rare to be debt free?
Yes, unfortunately.

It took me a long time to figure out that a lot of people are not motivated to save and invest and that debt doesn't bother them that much (or they ignore its negative effects on their lives, at least).

Many/most people are more motivated by living the best possible lifestyle they can live right now and then complain about the results of that mindset when they get old and kicked out of decent paying employment (usually putting the blame on external forces beyond their control instead of on their own actions, or lack thereof).

Old 02-16-2015, 11:46 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,972 times
People look at this: How to Compare Your Net Worth to Others (Without Being Rude) | FrugalFringe.com

Surprising or not, you need to have 2 million to even be in the top 5% in the USA.

There are much more wealthy people around us than you'd imagine.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:47 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
To you guys talking about these 0% Car Loans, what was the total package? Did you have any additional fees, did the car's purchase price cost MORE than the general buying area, etc.? There's obviously a Catch somewhere, come on guys, a Bank nor a Dealer can give you a FREE LOAN because the act of even Underwriting and Administering the loan costs money so it can't be given for FREE.
Okay... I'll bite on this, then I am out of this thread.

I negotiated a cash price on a new car on a Friday. I was to pick it up Monday. Over the weekend, I saw a TV ad for 0% financing on Mercury vehicles.
When I went in Monday, I demanded the financing and got it with no additional costs. I got it for my negotiated cash price, and zero down payment.

And yes, the dealer did not give me the loan.
A bank did not give me the loan.
I got it through Mercury.

You seem upset about that and I fail to see why.
Oh, but don't feel a need to explain.... as that changes nothing really.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:48 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes, unfortunately.

It took me a long time to figure out that a lot of people are not motivated to save and invest and that debt doesn't bother them that much (or they ignore its negative effects on their lives, at least).

Many/most people are more motivated by living the best possible lifestyle they can live right now and then complain about the results of that mindset when they get old and kicked out of decent paying employment (usually putting the blame on external forces beyond their control instead of on their own actions, or lack thereof).
Complaints are for losers, actions are for winners. Harsh but true.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:51 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,829,191 times
Quote:
Let me explain why net worth is important.
Let's assume someone is making 50k a year. He somehow invests most of his money.
As time goes on his net worth rises to 1 million. Now he is making 50k plus 50k just from the interest on his investments if he's getting a 5% return. If he continues to save and work his income from investments will continue to outperform his income. He could easily retire or continue to work and improve his standard of living for when he does finally decide to call it quits.
Hey but that's a nice assumption buddy, but here's some questions with that example:

- He's making $50,000 a year but where does he stay? In a low cost of living area or a high cost of living area?

- Does he have a FAT HAG housewife that he has to support along with 2 kids?

- Does he have any loans that he has to pay back? What's his total tax liabilities a year?

You can't possibly invest 100% of the income you make a year, you can invest the amount left over, IF ANY. I'm telling you most of the reason people retire BROKE is because they had WAY too many kids, got a bad divorce, wasn't somewhat of a MINIMALIST, as well as didn't seek to self-improve their skills to the best of their abilities.

For some people, the MOST you are going to get to is $60,000 a year in income production. So you know what that means? You can't buy $40,000 SUVs, $150,000 houses, have 3 kids, a fat hag housewife, etc. But they DO IT ANYWAY and wonder why they retire broke.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Why but that's a nice assumption buddy, but here's some questions with that example:

- He's making $50,000 a year but where does he stay? In a low cost of living area or a high cost of living area?

- Does he have a FAT HAG housewife that he has to support along with 2 kids?

- Does he have any loans that he has to pay back? What's his total tax liabilities a year?

You can't possibly invest 100% of the income you make a year, you can invest the amount left over, IF ANY. I'm telling you most of the reason people retire BROKE is because they had WAY too many kids, got a bad divorce, wasn't somewhat of a MINIMALIST, as well as didn't seek to self-improve their skills to the best of their abilities.

For some people, the MOST you are going to get to is $60,000 a year in income production. So you know what that means? You can't buy $40,000 SUVs, $150,000 houses, have 3 kids, a fat hag housewife, etc. But they DO IT ANYWAY and wonder why they retire broke.
While I agree having a wife is a terrible investment I ask why do people need those things?
Why be ashamed living my lifestyle?

Old 02-16-2015, 12:03 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter how you get there. All that matters is you succeed. We're a team. I give back to them as well.
i think the other poster's point was basically - you think the average household should be "millionaire" quite possibly because you've got a skewed version of reality since you're being given a collossal head start over what most people get by being subsidized by your parents the first few years of your professional life.

you have to recognize that's a luxury, not "average"

Old 02-16-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i think the other poster's point was basically - you think the average household should be "millionaire" quite possibly because you've got a skewed version of reality since you're being given a collossal head start over what most people get by being subsidized by your parents the first few years of your professional life.

you have to recognize that's a luxury, not "average"
How do I have a massive head start? I only have a few k above the median net worth.
Personally I consider myself quite poor.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:15 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Primary residence isn't factored in.
Why not (though my familys meet the definition regardless of whether you consider primary residence or not)? There's nothing inherently wrong with counting your primary residence for net worth calculation purposes: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/home-n...150238942.html, Should I Include My Primary Home When Calculating Net Worth? | Financial Samurai. True, the SEC no longer considers primary residence for accredited investor net worth purposes, but I'd think that we are being more general than that. Granted, if you consider primary residence for net worth purposes, you have to exclude any liabilities (both in terms of money owed on a property and in terms of the amount of money it would take to find new housing if you sold your primary residence).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance