Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 10:10 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Which is better, a solid home or a liquid home?
Have you read about the Ice Hotel? It's a solid home that turns liquid in the spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 10:11 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Why?

Because government usually prohibits hovels in neighborhoods.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Have you read about the Ice Hotel? It's a solid home that turns liquid in the spring.

Touche!

Old 02-21-2015, 10:20 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Because government usually prohibits hovels in neighborhoods.
There are plenty of places where zoning laws or enforcement are lax, if that is what you want.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
There are plenty of places where zoning laws or enforcement are lax, if that is what you want.

Those are remote places where you need a car, I don't have a car.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:28 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
I picked right business I never had control over my living environment, so I had no recourse when the drunks made the house unlivable.
I dont understand your thinking, if it was right business, you should have been in control of living environment or taken it into account when doing business. If you have $15k worth of inventory sitting around, why didn't you stop at $5k or $10k and sell those first?

a solid home/liquid cash, both are same thing, you have knowledge you have a roof over your head that isn't going to go away. Not worrying about if you are being on the street the next month is a solid home. Home is where you can live and not just a house.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I dont understand your thinking, if it was right business, you should have been in control of living environment or taken it into account when doing business. If you have $15k worth of inventory sitting around, why didn't you stop at $5k or $10k and sell those first?

a solid home/liquid cash, both are same thing, you have knowledge you have a roof over your head that isn't going to go away. Not worrying about if you are being on the street the next month is a solid home. Home is where you can live and not just a house.

The living environment was bad the whole time. The drunken lifestyle is usually not consistently sustainable over a long period of time, drunks end up arrested and in jail, or in hospital or rehab. The drunks here have been arrested maybe a half dozen times but they end up not actually doing any real time. Like getting arrested for a fourth DUI got him 12 days in jail - served 24 hours weekly over six weeks (did 24 hours and got credit for 2 days each time). 24 hours at a time doesn't really improve the home environment any. I expected he would eventually hit bottom and be away for a time but it hasn't happened.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:59 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Those are remote places where you need a car, I don't have a car.
There are plenty of places in this country where houses are cheap (that meet code!), and you don't need a car. Heck you could even find a small house where I live for ~$50k, and this isn't a cheap town. If you are wishing that you could build your own hovel on a lot in a regular town and poop in the back yard, then you are just being silly.

When I wanted to scale back and live on my savings for awhile I spent a few minutes listing what I spent money on. Rent and utilities along with vehicle expenses were the big ones. Most people way underestimate vehicle expenses. So I knew one of those had to go. Since I didn't need to work for awhile I decided to make my vehicle my home, and travel around. For 13 years I lived in a box I built on the back of my Toyota truck. Counting depreciation of the truck I spent < $5k/yr during that time.

I didn't do much work except for two years when I worked summers at a seasonal resort and spent winters in the desert far from any other people. During those two years I banked >$10k/yr... or enough to not work at all for the next 4 years.

I can definitely sympathize with what has been done to our economy for the last few decades that has depressed the living standards of most people. But living within your means is a separate issue. I'm not into "delayed gratification" but rather being satisfied and happy with whatever I have. The only future "dream" I have is when I turn 62 and start getting that $700/mo SS check and I can retire for real.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:27 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
It's more appropriate to tell people with middle class to upper middle class incomes to stop whining and live within their means.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:42 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
So many apologists for people who choose not to be responsible and then blame it on "the rich" and capitalism. (Some veiled, some not)

Bottom line: our poor in America are among the wealthiest in the entire world.

You can't make everyone equal no matter what we do or how hard you try to.

Reality is hard for some
100% correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance