Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 06:45 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,973,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
And three of those houses even have air conditioning. Probably no transit though.
True to form. Of course, your unicorn dream home HAS to be perfect, at the right price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
That was intended as wry commentary on window air conditioners. In my experience they are good for cooling a room, but hardly for cooling a house.
Boy, if excuses were dollars, you'd have that McMansion paid for already.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
That was intended as wry commentary on window air conditioners. In my experience they are good for cooling a room, but hardly for cooling a house.
You live in Oregon, don't you? You're experience doesn't mean much.

When I first moved to Texas, our 1400 sf rental had one air conditioning unit in the living room window. We managed to stay cool, in the brutal Texas heat, for a year.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:54 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
The house I live in now is the first house I have ever lived in with air conditioning.......of any type.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:03 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
I just replaced the air conditioner in this house last year. We lived here for eight years with a totally non-functional system. The house I owned before this one did not have central air at all. We lived there for seven years. It wasn't always comfortable, but we survived. Granted, the homes were both in fairly temperate and dry regions. I wouldn't want to try this in Central Texas or Florida.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
You said you wanted a small house. You can put in a couple of window units if you like - they're super easy to install and very cheap to buy.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Twelve years ago, I came to a fork in the road. I was using a walker for mobility and had no job and $600 a month in disability income. All my open accounts had been closed and charged off and I had the option of repudiating my debts through bankruptcy. I close not to do that and as a result that old bad credit remains a drag on my life. Without any new credit activity since then, my credit today stands bad. So I'm not buying any home for the foreseeable future.
I'm not buying this. The vast majority of "bad credit" (short of bankruptcy) falls off your credit report within seven years. You said all this happened twelve years ago. Even most forms of bankruptcy fall off a credit report by then.

You could have started rebuilding your credit several years ago.

I went through a bad divorce about eleven years ago, which put some serious dings in my credit score. I wasn't able to get "new credit" for about four years. Then I was able to get a small line of credit, but at a high interest rate. I handled that very responsibly. I took the time to pull my credit reports and make any and all possible corrections as well. I've paid all my bills on time since then and haven't gone crazy with lines of credit. Long story short, eleven years later my credit score is over 800.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
At ten I was shoveling snow around town to make money. At twelve I had my first paper route of three. Two years later I added mowing lawns to my skill set. I worked in a deli. By the time I graduated high school (with top 3% grades and test scores) I had saved over $20K in today's dollars. No work ethic?
That was then, this is now. All I've heard from you on this forum for YEARS is excuses and bitterness and complaining, and talk of fast food jobs and constant job hopping.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
At ten I was shoveling snow around town to make money. At twelve I had my first paper route of three. Two years later I added mowing lawns to my skill set. I worked in a deli. By the time I graduated high school (with top 3% grades and test scores) I had saved over $20K in today's dollars. No work ethic?
OK, to be fair. You had a work ethic until you graduated from high school.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:04 AM

9,857 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Wow, I love those prices. Amazing. A home for the price of a car. I am going to have to check some of those places out.
LOL, I always say I'm not going to buy a car that's the price of a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance