Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 08:35 PM

553 posts, read 613,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Why isn't the quote working properly?
A [/b] tag is breaking the [/quote] tag in your post. Try placing it outside of the [/quote] tag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 09:13 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber123rd View Post
A [/b] tag is breaking the
tag in your post. Try placing it outside of the [/quote] tag.[/quote]

Thank you, but I did not place any tag, I just hit the quote button. vB placed the tag, but it does not display the HTML so I did not see any tag other than the quote tags.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:28 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,612,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
tag in your post. Try placing it outside of the
tag.[/quote]

Thank you, but I did not place any tag, I just hit the quote button. vB placed the tag, but it does not display the HTML so I did not see any tag other than the quote tags.[/quote]

Unbold the end [/quote].

Old 03-27-2015, 09:30 PM

21,715 posts, read 24,949,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
You got anything to support this clim?

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Median is $53,000

And keep in mind, the billionaires drive this significantly up.
Yup. It's actually $72,641. I was off on the median though, not that billionaires have any undue effect on the median.

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/cpsta...inc/hinc06.xls

Old 03-27-2015, 09:34 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,612,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Oh also that 50K you spent just renovating your kitchen and bathroom? That's about what I paid for my HOUSE. Again, not typical figures for average families today at all.
My hat is off to you, RogueMom. I know how hard it is to raise 2 kids alone while working and running a household. I could not have done it on 25k per year.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Yes, you are probably right, but I have a feeling the $70K a year figure is typically based on TWO incomes, not just one. Am I right or wrong?
It's based on household income. Some households have no workers, some have one, some have two, some have more than two.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:57 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,105,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarPaladin View Post
"Live within your means" as a phrase and as a popular figure of speech, would seem to be self-evident and obvious, at least on the surface. Simply put, it might represent not spending what you don't have. However -- and this is a big "but" -- it can also get incredibly frustrating to have people automatically parroting this phrase, for several reasons.
Live within your means.

Quote:
First, the "means" with which one lives has gone down, not up, over the past 30+ years,...
So?

Burden of proof is upon you to justify your claim that you are entitled to a given specific Standard of Living.

Most of you waste money on disposable things. Living a disposable Life-Style costs a lot of money.

Live within your means.

Quote:
..... with wages not being fairly-adjusted to inflation.
Which kind of Inflation?

Cost-push Inflation is caused by you demanding government regulation at multiple levels of government from the township/city to county to State to the national government-masquerading-as-a-federal-government.

So....let me get this straight...you demand that the prices of goods and services rise, and then you demand to be paid more to cover the cost increases that you demanded?

Demand-pull Inflation?

When any commodity is consumed to excess, the Laws of Economics kick in and drive up the price so that consumption is reduced in order to preserve or conserve the commodity that is stressed by over-consumption.

You consume like a locust, and then when prices rise, you cry and want higher wages to continue to consume like a locust,...and then when prices rise, you cry and want higher wages to continue to consume like a locust,...and then when prices rise, you cry and want higher wages to continue to consume like a locust,...and then when prices rise, you cry and want higher wages to continue to consume like a locust,...and then when prices rise, you cry and want higher wages to continue to consume like a locust,...and then when prices rise, you cry and want higher wages to continue to consume like a locust,...and then when prices rise, you cry and want higher wages to continue to consume like a locust,...and then when prices rise, you cry and want higher wages to continue to consume like a locust,...and then when prices rise, you cry and want higher wages to continue to consume like a locust,...and then when prices rise, you cry and want higher wages to continue to consume like a locust,...

Quote:
What this means on a practical level, is that with the varying levels of inflation and deflation of the dollar over the past few decades, people's standards of living have gone down, not up.
:c rying:

There has been no Monetary Deflation or Monetary Inflation.

Quantify and Qualify your "Standard of Living" objectively in no uncertain terms.

Quote:
It was much easier to "live within one's means" in 1950, 1960, and 1970, than it was was say from 1980 - present.
That's because you were murdering and oppressing the rest of the world to steal their wealth and profits and resources.

It's a proven fact you attempted to overthrow the Syrian government (but failed) in 1958, because Syria refused to sign a military assistance agreement and purchase $100 Millions in US military equipment so that Americans could have jobs.

It's also a proven fact that LBJ illegally overthrew the Greek government in 1967, installing a dictatorship called "The Colonels"

8,000 Greek people died in the first month after the coup, but hey....who cares....the Colonels bought $Billions worth of F-104 Starfighters, F-4 Phantoms, A-7 Corsairs, and all manner of field artillery and missiles and armored vehicles and destroyers and frigates so that Americans could have jobs and buy Zenith console TVs and RCA console stereos and lots of furniture.

I'm confused....is murdering and oppressing other peoples by interfering in their domestic, political, economics and social affairs a Christian thing, or is that a Liberal thing?

Quote:
Houses that could once be bought decades ago on a single-income family salary for $25,000 may now, in 2015, cost as much as $750,000+, in certain residential areas. This is an extreme example where it is obvious that the financial industry has "moved the goal posts" of what living within one's means represents today in 2015, vs. what it used to mean.

You have no right nor entitlement to live in a specific place. You may do so only by living within your means.

You have highlighted two different forms of Inflation: Demand-pull --- which I already discussed-- and Interest Inflation.

When you artificially suppress interest rates for mortgages, and then you flood the housing sector with Capital --- in the form of cash/credit for housing loans, and then you have a government that is bankrolling the whole thing by insuring mortgages through Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac...

...you get high housing prices.

Quote:
While observing some degree of "living within one's means" would actually seem prudent and even wise, it almost sounds like some people may take it to drastic extremes, where it is used as a justification for endorsing the gradual (and involuntary) reduction of people's living standards, over time.
Grow up and get over it already.

This ain't the 1950s when you had no global competition.

This ain't the 1960s when your only global competition was Taiwan.

This ain't the 1970s when your only global competition was Taiwan and Japan.

This ain't the 1980s when your only global competition was Taiwan and Japan and Korea.

This ain't the 1990s when your only global competition was Taiwan and Japan and Korea and Indonesia and Thailand and Malaysia.

This is the 21st Century. Your competition is the aforementioned plus 1.5 Billion screaming Chinese.

Soon to be 1.5 Billion screaming Chinese and 1 Billion screaming Indians.

Soon to be 1.5 Billion screaming Chinese, 1 Billion screaming Indians and 1 Billion Eastern Europeans & Central Asians.

Followed by 1 Billion sub-Saharan Africans.

Figure it out yet?

Quote:
Keeping in mind that it is much, much easier to live within one's means, so to speak, if one is already well-off in the first place.
I eat yummy Chilean sea bass.

But I can afford it, because I'm not throwing away $86/month on Cable TV or Satellite TV (but then I don't have a TV either). I have pay-as-you-go cell-phone, so I save $40+ a month on that. I don't have anything disposable, so I save $1,000s every year. How important are designer clothing labels to you? To me, they aren't important, but I have lots of designer clothing I got from thrift stores.

I'm semi-retired, so I work when I wanna, and even then I work from home. And I make less than $25,000 to avoid taxes.

And I don't care.

I've only bought one new car in my entire life. I was in the military at the time. All other times, I have used cars, since I couldn't afford a car payment and a boat payment at the same time, and the boat is far more important. I keep it docked near Vama Veche and sail down the Black Sea to the Aegean Sea to my favorite all-time Greek restaurant.

You people need to learn how to prioritize and set goals to achieve what you want, and no, DVDs and iPhones and iPods are not priorities, because pissing and moaning about what you don't got and about what everyone else has, is going to leave you with nothing.

Living within my means....

Mircea

Old 03-27-2015, 10:55 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,107,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yup. It's actually $72,641. I was off on the median though, not that billionaires have any undue effect on the median.

Where at that link did it say the average was $72,641?
I don't see it anywhere.

As to billionaires not having any "undue effect on the median":
How to Find the Median Value

Old 03-27-2015, 11:08 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,624,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

You are looking at the mean, not the median. Income equality inflates the average substantially.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Where at that link did it say the average was $72,641?
I don't see it anywhere.

As to billionaires not having any "undue effect on the median":
How to Find the Median Value
C:10.

And exactly. There's 536 billionaires in the U.S. according to Wikipedia. Doesn't really matter. It could be 5,000 for all I care. Lop that 500 or 5,000 off and the median income is going to go down by all of 5 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance