Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 10:04 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Hi,
I am just wondering how many of you actually do this?
Do you actually sit down and write out a budget sheet, or type out a comperterized budget sheet for the coming month{s}?
Or do you "just wing it"?

~I plan out a hand written budget for every coming month, often preparing one up to 3 months in advance.
~I tend to over-budget for things that are "not fixed costs" {like gasoline}. For example: I we typically use between $75 and $150 for gasoline, I budget for $200.
~I round up for the fixed budget items.
~ I budget for 4 "other items" at $100 each...for unexpected items that may come up {like an unexpected medical bill or copayment}. It allows for 4 individual items OR for one or two bigger items up to $400.
~I actually budget for savings too.
~I try for balanced billing on things like utilities.

~when the actual amount{s} come{s} in lower, I painlesly bank the difference! {like the gasoline}
~if it comes in higher than usual, or the balanced budget gets changed, there is less of a shock to my planning.

It helps to add to savings quickly and keep the budget in tow. I often will re-work the monthly budget on a weekly basis as bills are paid or the surprise{s} come{s} in.

So: do you plan a written Budget?
Thankfully, the fixed income I live on prevents that...but saves me a ton of time and hassle. Once all of my bills are paid in full I have $130. left to eat and 'play' on. I do it...not EZ, but I DO it. Can YOU do that without any paper and pencil??? I bet NOT. I bet I am happier, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 10:33 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Of course, you'd probably kill for that 40x125sqft lot instead of a townhouse, now though?
Ugh, no.

I love my small townhouse lot. My house was exactly what I wanted, where I wanted it. I have very little yard to take care of.

I grew up in a 6000+ square foot house on 3/4 of an acre, with a pool, volleyball court, and basketball court. I've lived that life. What I have now is exactly what I want.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:43 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
I used to budget rigorously, but stopped when I retired. I know what my monthly income is to the penny (although it increases annually a little due to annuity/retirement fund increases), and all my monthly expenses are pretty much set except for gas for the car and groceries. I pay an extra sum monthly on my mortgage principal so I can have the house paid off in the next 5 years (I've got 10 years left on a 15 year mortgage), but I can leave that off if an unexpected expense comes up and still be just fine, obviously. All credit cards are paid in full monthly; FICO is 840 to 850. I have a good cushion in savings, and my social security will go up either next year or in 2020 when I start collecting on my own account instead of my late husband's. Fortunately I live in a low-cost area; my property taxes are $750/year total for a small but nice bungalow near the Potomac River. Plus I live a generally low-cost lifestyle - the pets are my biggest expense overall, unless I do a major house improvement.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:05 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
I have a budget just to have an idea of where my money is going. whether or not I follow it 100% is up to me. I already save off the top with the 401k. my IRA contributions are included in my budget though, savings too. I have mint keep track of my monthly expenses

right now, my goal is to build up my e-fund. something always seems to deplete that down to nothing and its getting annoying.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:17 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
I don't have a budget because I don't know what my income is. I live on SS and whatever I withdraw from my investments.

I've found that carefully tracking expenses has been very helpful. I've been able to identify areas where I can reduce expenses, and thus reduce the amount of withdrawals from investments. I've cut out cable and land line phone, switched to a cheaper basic cell phone plan, cut back on food expense, stopped buying clothes (I have more than enough clothes to last me a long time), taken steps to reduce utility bills, stopped buying books (use library instead -- we used to buy a lot of books), raised deductibles on insurance, etc., etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance