Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 07:31 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,414,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Your cousin must have done something clearly wrong for a simple return to get audited and owe thousands, probably took bogus deductions up the wazoo. If as you say your return is simple with standard deductions and one W2 you have no reason to be nervous.

Agreed. If the cousin filed simple returns, her chances of being audited were nil -- unless she did something stupid/illegal, like taking exorbitant bogus deductions or claiming her pets as dependents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 07:45 PM

291 posts, read 336,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
And not to sound like I know the CPA business, but aren't the business returns due in March? That is what my CPA tells me at least. If the deadline for the OP return is April 15, and the big $ clients are due in March, it would make sense that she would be pushed to the bottom of the pile. Again, not sure if this is the case, the CPA in this thread can correct me if I'm wrong.
Calendar year corporate returns are due March 15th. Partnership returns are due April 15th, along with individuals and trusts.

the OP got insulted when I said she is a nobody to her CPA but that's the reality. I'm not saying she is a nobody, I am saying to the CPA, she is. you are right - small returns that dont have an impact to the bottom line dont take priority right now. the focus is on getting past the first deadline which is looming.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:33 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradmilano View Post
As a tax accountant myself I think this comment is disgusting. To think there are people out there that think I even have time for leisure during this busy time of year. I'm working more than 80 hrs a week and I barely see my family.

And now after she does the work you're going to go to her and say "you took too long, I'm going elsewhere"? This coming from someone who says they are too nervous to do it themselves? You should have a better appreciation.

You want your money sooner? Adjust your withholdings so you don't get a refund at all and you get it as extra pay in each paycheck. Otherwise the return Isnt due until April 15th.

Go elsewhere next year. But realize that the problem is you not her. She's busy with clients who appreciate her time and pay her accordingly. You're a nobody to her.

Why did you become an accountant if you were going to whine about the hours? Military and oil industry and offshore people see their families a small fraction of what you do, yet I don't hear any of them I know whining about it. My coworkers see their families a few times a year for maybe a week at a time. It's what they signed up for, and they do it..

Old 03-04-2015, 07:51 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,327,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradmilano View Post
Calendar year corporate returns are due March 15th. Partnership returns are due April 15th, along with individuals and trusts.

the OP got insulted when I said she is a nobody to her CPA but that's the reality. I'm not saying she is a nobody, I am saying to the CPA, she is. you are right - small returns that dont have an impact to the bottom line dont take priority right now. the focus is on getting past the first deadline which is looming.
There are calls I get every day and the job is to small.........so I do not take the job.

All of our customers are "somebody"........it does not matter if it is a $7,000 job or, a $15,000 job.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:06 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Why did you become an accountant if you were going to whine about the hours? Military and oil industry and offshore people see their families a small fraction of what you do, yet I don't hear any of them I know whining about it. My coworkers see their families a few times a year for maybe a week at a time. It's what they signed up for, and they do it..
I hear both oil field and military works complain about the hours and time away from their families. If you say no one does it you either aren't listening or they just aren't doing it around you.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

All of our customers are "somebody"........it does not matter if it is a $7,000 job or, a $15,000 job.

That may be something you are able to do in your small business but it's not the reality of life. Everyone is somebody but bigger clients or customers often get different treatment, serice and pricing. In a lot of businesses 80% of your revenue comes from the top 20% of customers and you should service them in that lopsided way.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
That may be something you are able to do in your small business but it's not the reality of life. Everyone is somebody but bigger clients or customers often get different treatment, serice and pricing. In a lot of businesses 80% of your revenue comes from the top 20% of customers and you should service them in that lopsided way.
That being true........why would the CPA in question tell the OP, I will call you in about a week"???

Why not just tell the truth........would that be so hard???

Old 03-04-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
That being true........why would the CPA in question tell the OP, I will call you in about a week"???

Why not just tell the truth........would that be so hard???

Maybe they are overwhelmed? Maybe it was the CPA's best intentions of making the call and either forgot, repriortized to higher paying client and simply didn't communicate it to the OP.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Maybe they are overwhelmed? Maybe it was the CPA's best intentions of making the call and either forgot, repriortized to higher paying client and simply didn't communicate it to the OP.
And that is the problem.......poor communication......and it goes back to the professional........the CPA.

I know there is lots of time......I am just starting to think about doing our taxes.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:50 AM

291 posts, read 336,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post

who's whining? I am merely stating that with the number of hours I am working, I don't have the convenience of doing things "at my leisure". that isn't whining, its fact stating. the extended hours of a tax accountant from january to april is a fact of life. if i didnt want to do it, id get out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance