Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2015, 01:33 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
These guys have science on their side Death rates fall as vehicles improve

Newer cars are safer, and although I don't have a endless supply of money, I do feel alright spending surplus income paying a car note with a stupidly low interest rate.

It all changes when you've got kids. I can't keep them safe from everything, but $300 a month to shield them from some of the hazards out there when I won't miss the money is a no-brainer (every other savings need is being fully funded).
Even so, why buy brand new and not 2 or 3 years old? Even the very source you have referenced says the safety improvements were around in 2011. Are you saying the vehicles in question depreciate relatively slowly even in the first 3 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 02:11 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Even so, why buy brand new and not 2 or 3 years old? Even the very source you have referenced says the safety improvements were around in 2011. Are you saying the vehicles in question depreciate relatively slowly even in the first 3 years?
Have you priced 2 or 3 year old used cars? My guess is that most available are leased vehicles or maybe fleet vehicles that have been turned in. You'll still be paying 5 figures, plus a higher interest rate, and a shorter term.

Moreover, good luck finding a 3 year old used vehicle with accident avoidance and backup cameras. These kinds of safety features were only available on the top of the line versions of luxury models even 3 years ago. Neither was available for the model I bought three years ago, even as options. Now, the camera is standard equipment and accident avoidance is available in all of the models I would consider.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Have you priced 2 or 3 year old used cars? My guess is that most available are leased vehicles or maybe fleet vehicles that have been turned in. You'll still be paying 5 figures, plus a higher interest rate, and a shorter term.

Moreover, good luck finding a 3 year old used vehicle with accident avoidance and backup cameras. These kinds of safety features were only available on the top of the line versions of luxury models even 3 years ago. Neither was available for the model I bought three years ago, even as options. Now, the camera is standard equipment and accident avoidance is available in all of the models I would consider.
Do you mean automatic braking?

Old 03-07-2015, 02:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:

A back up camera/in dash stereo with camera input. Runs about 450-$600 installed for a ok-good model.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:34 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,950 times
Quote:
Woah now. You said cars now aren't any safer than cars ten years old and this article was to refute that.

As far as 2011 vs 2014 a new standard has been set for small overlap and car companies have responded. A 2014 Toyota sienna looks the same as as 2015, but the 2015 has a redesigned frame, likewise the 2014 Honda Odyssey has an improved structure over the identical 2013 Honda Odyssey.

Going foward the premium systems of collision avoidance and adaptive cruise control will trickle down, making the full overhauls of these two cars safer still.

Now playing in depreciation, yep those cars still lose about $8k as you drive them off the lot, but the market isn't overflowing with six month old minivans just waiting for a buyer.

At the end of the day I didn't buy the minivan as a status symbol (it's a minivan), but as a means to protect my family in this city that I'm in that has an accident rate twice the national average and a high propensity to run red lights. I wouldn't drain my emg fund to pay for a safe car, but I've got no issues paying low interest and getting incentives to finance in excess of the interest I'd pay anyways (separate from dealer nego, Toyota offers a few rebates to select demographics that finance with them, so it's not $xxx back or x.x% apr, it's both.

And I wouldn't miss the money on a car or two, no unfunded liabilities here.

So again there's no reason not to finance a safer car when the choice is between driving a 10 year old car now, or a brand new car now if you can afford the payment w/o affecting your future obligations. I'm sure Dave would tell me to pay cash, but he hate rewards CC's too and those make me $600 a year w/o trying.

Last edited by MDrenter223; 03-07-2015 at 06:50 PM..

Old 03-07-2015, 07:20 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
If you pay cash, it doesn't matter.

Quote:
Who cares? The point is, these things are luxuries you can do without. Humans are really bad at assessing risk. If you're so freaked out about the risk of being in a crash, then set up your life so that you drive less.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
Woah now. You said cars now aren't any safer than cars ten years old and this article was to refute that.

As far as 2011 vs 2014 a new standard has been set for small overlap and car companies have responded. A 2014 Toyota sienna looks the same as as 2015, but the 2015 has a redesigned frame, likewise the 2014 Honda Odyssey has an improved structure over the identical 2013 Honda Odyssey.

Going foward the premium systems of collision avoidance and adaptive cruise control will trickle down, making the full overhauls of these two cars safer still.

Now playing in depreciation, yep those cars still lose about $8k as you drive them off the lot, but the market isn't overflowing with six month old minivans just waiting for a buyer.

At the end of the day I didn't buy the minivan as a status symbol (it's a minivan), but as a means to protect my family in this city that I'm in that has an accident rate twice the national average and a high propensity to run red lights. I wouldn't drain my emg fund to pay for a safe car, but I've got no issues paying low interest and getting incentives to finance in excess of the interest I'd pay anyways (separate from dealer nego, Toyota offers a few rebates to select demographics that finance with them, so it's not $xxx back or x.x% apr, it's both.

And I wouldn't miss the money on a car or two, no unfunded liabilities here.

So again there's no reason not to finance a safer car when the choice is between driving a 10 year old car now, or a brand new car now if you can afford the payment w/o affecting your future obligations. I'm sure Dave would tell me to pay cash, but he hate rewards CC's too and those make me $600 a year w/o trying.
Ok. You win.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:49 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,177,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
If you pay cash, it doesn't matter.

Who cares? The point is, these things are luxuries you can do without. Humans are really bad at assessing risk. If you're so freaked out about the risk of being in a crash, then set up your life so that you drive less.
risk from car accidents is way underestimated, so better safety makes sense. i still want my family to see things and travel.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:11 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Quote:
My graduation was in 2008 and I'm in grad school. My TA-ship is nominally 20 hours a week but it varies a lot. And I still have zero debt.
Mine was '06 I was done by '12 with one year off after UG. Also zero debt.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:14 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
If you're so freaked out about the risk of being in a crash, then set up your life so that you drive less.
The risk in question is that of severe injury in an accident, not that of being in an accident. Thus, car safety is of utmost importance. Instead of driving less which really takes away the benefits of driving a car, spending extra on car safety seems like a more sensible option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance