Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 01:33 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
What did you all learn from this author?
I never read the book but I heard it's that rich people are frugal and low key.

Quote:
the stereotype that being wealthy meant looking wealthy.
In Los Angeles a lot of relatively poor people are posers. They'll pour everything they have into a somewhat expensive car (hand-me-down BMW or a 35K sportscar) and dress up like they're somebody special to impress the gold digger chicks. So just a word of warning to you ladies out there that things aren't always what they appear.

The people who do flaunt it often wind up LOSING it all eventually if they keep up the lifestyle. Athletes are famous for blowing tons of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 05:32 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Cobb crash kills author of 'Millionaire Next Door'

Quote:
Police say the driver of an Acura crashed into a Chevrolet Corvette. Cobb County Police Sgt. Dana Pierce said the Corvette slowed down to make a turn; the Acura came up from behind, cut to the left, crossed the double-yellow lines and collided with the left side of the Corvette.

The driver of the Corvette, 71-year-old Stanley, was pronounced dead at WellStar Kennestone Hospital.

Police say they are planning to file charges against the driver of the Acura, 45-year-old Jeffrey Fettig. He was treated for minor injuries at WellStar Kennestone Hospital.
The author was slowing down to make a left turn. The driver behind him crossed the double yellow line into the opposing lane of traffic and slammed into him. The driver walked away with some bumps and bruises.

You can't protect yourself from crazy drivers.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:11 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How come looking poor and being poor are usually strongly correlated?
Many times I look very poor........when I leave a drill job most of the time I am mud head to toe.

I have gotten some funny looks when I stop at party stores on the way home.........once the man ahead of me paid for my pop........I did not know it.....he was gone when I got out in the lot.......I wanted to give him his money back.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:13 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
The difference between income and assets.

RIP......

Old 03-04-2015, 09:19 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Have a good strong marriage, don't overspend on houses or cars, and a successful business can be a very boring run of the mill business, doesn't have to be anything new or flashy.

It's why we have 2 paid off older vehicles, a pickup and an economy car and a fixer-upper house.

I think I'll re-read the book - it's one that I've saved over the years.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:47 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,415 times
Terrible accident...so sad. I just bought his newest book last night.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:53 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms493 View Post
Terrible accident...so sad. I just bought his newest book last night.
Very sad indeed.

It wasn't really an accident though. Hopefully they charge the guy with manslaughter. An accident would be not seeing a car and turning out in front. This was something else. He willfully decided to disregard traffic laws and common sense and his negligence ended up costing someone their life. Just my pet peeve and not really related, but the misuse of the term accident for situations like this bugs me no end. Sorry for the tangent.

I hope his daughter is able to carry on his work with an updated Millionaire Next Door. Stanley was basically my foundation for adult finances, easily one of the most influential books I've written.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:06 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
His books are very good. Great reading for anyone who wants to learn more about personal finance. RIP, Dr. Stanley.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:16 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
I never read the book but I heard it's that rich people are frugal and low key.

In Los Angeles a lot of relatively poor people are posers. They'll pour everything they have into a somewhat expensive car (hand-me-down BMW or a 35K sportscar) and dress up like they're somebody special to impress the gold digger chicks. So just a word of warning to you ladies out there that things aren't always what they appear. .
Dallas in many ways is similar to LA, believe it or don't. They have a term here for people such as you describe, "30K millionaires".

We're not "rich" but we're not poor, and although we do spend money in some areas, our cars in particular are probably less valuable than those owned by most college kids (15 and 20 years old. The cars, not any kids ). They still run well, however!

Old 03-04-2015, 12:34 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
I think I learned more from The Millionaire Next Door than I've learned from any other personal finance/self help book I've ever read. I hope that his daughter will update it, I think it should be required reading for every young adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance