Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 08:03 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,661 times

Advertisements

If a husband retires at age 66 and collects SSI, then the wife, who is also retired can claim half of the husband's SSI. For example, if the husband collects $2,000 a month at age 66, the wife would then collect $1,000 a month.

Then the husband suspends his SSI, collects nothing, but his SSI amount increases at the rate of 8% per year when he starts collecting SSI again. If the husband starts collecting SSI again at age 70, then the husband's SSI would be 32% higher than it was at age 66.

Meanwhile, the wife would have continued to collect SSI at the rate of $1,000 a month for 48 months.

When the husband starts collecting SSI at age 70, can the wife switch from collecting half of the husbands SSI at the rate of $1,000 per month to her own SSI, which would have also grown much larger by that time?

If the wife takes half of the husband's SSI, is she locked into that rate of $1,000 a month for the rest of her life? Or, can the wife end half of the husbands SSI, $1,000 a month, and switch to her own SSI benefits, which would be much higher by that time.

If this is possible, then both the husband's and wife's SSI would have grown larger by waiting to collect, plus the wife would have collected $48,000 over the 48 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 09:29 PM

738 posts, read 998,886 times
You are correct that if the husband files and suspends, his wife can collect one half of his reduced benefit at the minimum age of 62. Then he is free to allow his to grow and then collect the max at age 70.

IF his wife made less during her working years, this would be a good strategy and yes...she could collect an additional $48k while allowing her own benefit to grow. She can then, at 70, switch from her spousal benefit to her own full benefit and collect even more.

In this situation, I believe the only issue that could possibly arise would be if the wife made more than her husband and 'deeming' comes into play. If that is the case, (that 1/2 of her husbands reduced benefit is less than taking the entirety of her own reduced benefit) then the SSA will pay her the larger of the two...and in that case, she would have to take her own reduced benefit.

Here is a link to some reading on this strategy: Spousal benefits, you say? Does age difference matter?
And another which addresses the issue of 'deeming': http://time.com/money/3735837/social...id=yahoo_money
It pays to research this topic, since the 'nice' people at the SSA won't ordinarily tell you any of this.

RVcook

Last edited by RVcook; 03-09-2015 at 09:38 PM..

Old 03-09-2015, 10:18 PM

The more I research how to maximize the SSI benefits, the more complicated it seems. It made sense in the example I gave, which is probably the more common situation, where the husband is older and makes more income. However, in my situation, my wife is 3 years younger than me, but earns more than me.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:25 PM

511 posts, read 508,456 times
No you cannot do that if I am understanding correctly

Social Security chooses which is higher, and you go with that amount. You don't get to choose. YOu can only choose to file or not to file.

If your own SS on your own accord is higher than 50% of your spousal benefit, you will be forced to accept that full amount on your own accord and forego his

Example- Your SS benefits on your own accord are $800

You follow your plan here, and when you feel ready, go file for SS.

First paid is always your own benefits which are $800 (for this example) then they will take $200 of your spouses benefits
to make up the $200 difference of the $1000.

They always want to use your money stored as part of your spousal benefits. Unless you don't file at all, then let yours grow and if it grows to under $1000, lets say 999, then only $1 will be part of your social security benefits

Last edited by MrsApt; 03-09-2015 at 11:15 PM..

Old 03-10-2015, 02:33 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,713,667 times
two different issues if you file pre fra or at fra.

pre fra you have no choice which benefit to take -period. you always get your own if you have a work record.

when the other spouse files you will get a kicker added to yours if 1/2 their full is more .

but you can never not take your own.

after fra you have a choice . you can even delay taking yours if 1/2 the the spousal is less.

that is an option you do not have pre fra.

pre fra only your own benefit is an option forever except for survivor benefits

waiting until fra gives you options to pick which you want .

Old 03-10-2015, 07:16 AM

738 posts, read 998,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
The more I research how to maximize the SSI benefits, the more complicated it seems. It made sense in the example I gave, which is probably the more common situation, where the husband is older and makes more income. However, in my situation, my wife is 3 years younger than me, but earns more than me.
I'm a big fan of Laurence Kotlikoff (professor of Economics at Boston University) and he has provided me excellent information regarding a specifically complex social security question I had about my own situation. His website offers access to free software (which might help) and he and Phil Moeller just finished writing a new book about this very subject. Cut and paste the link below to access a form to write Laurence directly. Hopefully, he will answer to provide clarity.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1EqN...m0Lg0/viewform

RVcook

Old 03-10-2015, 04:28 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,304,389 times
Are you referring to SS Retirement, or to SSI which is granted due to a disability? If someone retires, they're going to get SS Retirement benefits, not SSI.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:36 PM

106,557 posts, read 108,713,667 times
That was confusing me too but some refer to regular ss as social security insurance but ssi is supplemental insurance for those with no work history or not enough quarters to get ssdi.

I think they are referring to regular ss but you never know.

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-10-2015 at 04:45 PM..

Old 03-11-2015, 09:50 AM

I am referring to normal Social Security retirement, which is about 4 and a half years from now. Although, my wife may retire before I retire. We both have pensions. My wife earns more, and will reach age 62 when I reach age 65, when I retire. Although she will retire before I retire. My full SS is at age 66. My wife's full SS is at 66.5.

I am still trying to determine how to maximize the Social Security benefits, but it's still not clear to me how to maximize the benefits. Perhaps the benefits would be higher collecting half of my wife's benefits, then suspend her SS, or the other way around.

I've also heard a different opinion from Dave Ramsey on SS benefits, that if you don't need SS to eat and to live on, then it is better to take SS early and invest it, rather than wait for a higher monthly distribution, by delaying the SS benefits. The theory there is you can earn more on the money in mutual funds, plus you start collecting the money sooner. We don't need to live on the SS benefits. We can probably live on two pensions without SS or the money in our retirement accounts, since we are used to living well below our means. The opinion also stated if you need SSI to eat and to live on, they you need to delay collecting SSI and work longer.

I just want to figure out the best way to maximize my SS income, even if it means taking SS earlier and investing it.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:36 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,304,389 times
SS Retirement is not SSI. SSI is for disabilities, and isn't easy to get. SS is for retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance