U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 08:56 AM

480 posts, read 452,314 times

Advertisements

Serious question here.

Outside of real estate costs (mortgage or rent payment), is it more expensive to live in an expensive city as opposed to an affordable city, assuming both cities are in the same metropolitian area?

I am looking at moving from an affordable town to an expensive town. I can calculate what will happen with my cost of mortgage payment, and I can figure out what will happen to the cost of daycare. Both will go up by 50%. I can look at fuel - up probably 10%. Healtcare is unchanged. But I don't know whether my remaining expenses, such as food and household supplies, kids activities, and other monthly expenses will change. In general, do these go up as well?

Do groceries from Safeway (or whatever grocery store) cost more in an expensive town than groceries from Safeway in an affordable town?

Appreciate your feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 09:10 AM

18,975 posts, read 10,032,914 times
yes, other things will be more expensive. Stores and service providers will have higher costs, just like individuals, and they have to charge higher prices.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:35 AM

309 posts, read 358,565 times
Look for an online cost of living calculator - I like the one at Bankrate.com. It compares the cost of living in two cities, not only letting you know how your salary will stack up overall, but gives the average cost of specific items (housing, veterinary services, a dentist visit, dry cleaning, a beer, a pizza, etc.) in both areas. There are a number of online calculators out there and it's well worth the time to play with them to see how far your money will go.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:43 AM

9,060 posts, read 5,399,651 times
Depends if you have a car, child and/or pet. Car insurance, gas, car repair, parking tickets, day care, pre-school, veterinarian, etc are all more expensive.

Otherwise, grocery, Internet, etc are about the same.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:54 AM

12,405 posts, read 9,195,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Depends if you have a car, child and/or pet. Car insurance, gas, car repair, parking tickets, day care, pre-school, veterinarian, etc are all more expensive.

Otherwise, grocery, Internet, etc are about the same.

Not just parking tickets, but parking in general. In really big cities it can cost a fortune.

OTOH, you might be able to get away with one vehicle instead of two, or even none at all, if transit is good enough.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:56 AM

6,235 posts, read 5,384,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
Serious question here.

Outside of real estate costs (mortgage or rent payment), is it more expensive to live in an expensive city as opposed to an affordable city, assuming both cities are in the same metropolitian area?

I am looking at moving from an affordable town to an expensive town. I can calculate what will happen with my cost of mortgage payment, and I can figure out what will happen to the cost of daycare. Both will go up by 50%. I can look at fuel - up probably 10%. Healtcare is unchanged. But I don't know whether my remaining expenses, such as food and household supplies, kids activities, and other monthly expenses will change. In general, do these go up as well?

Do groceries from Safeway (or whatever grocery store) cost more in an expensive town than groceries from Safeway in an affordable town?

Appreciate your feedback
Why YES

Old 03-13-2015, 05:03 PM

10,712 posts, read 19,040,812 times
Actually, you have to check - I live in a more expensive area (for the time being until I move) - BUT!!! my groceries for example are much less than when I visit friends in some other inexpensive areas ( there is more competition here is my theory) - it's all relative.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:18 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,881,646 times
If you compare a big city with a small town, two places I'm intimately familiar with, most things are more expensive in the big city. Food is more expensive, housing is more expensive, transportation is more expensive, restaurants are more expensive.

What you do find in a big city is a wider range of options, so you can find cheap supermarkets and wholesale clubs along with the Whole Foods.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:47 AM

64,529 posts, read 66,075,955 times
generally the more expensive the city the higher the wages. rural can be cheap but most of the poverty is in rural.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:33 AM

7,763 posts, read 7,538,055 times
As a rough rule of thumb, yes, expensive cities have higher costs for almost everything.

High retail rents impacts all stores and restaurants. They have to pay more for rent and wages, so they have to charge more for goods and services.

When I moved away from NYC, I noted that all of my grocery costs dropped, eating in restaurants dropped, my car insurance dropped, taxes decreased and utilities decreased.

I drove more so I spent more on gas. Clothing costs remained the same because I purchase most of that online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or