Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 03:47 PM

106 posts, read 201,046 times

Advertisements

How did you learn about personal finance and investing...??? (I was not able to edit the post's title!)

Looking back, there are several way I leanred about in saving and personal finance. I learned a lot from my grandmother who was quite savvy considering her background. She taught me a lot about stocks, CDs, and saving. Her and my grandfather did well with their modest incomes and no pensions. Both had saved up and enjoyed a retirement where they were free from any debt and could enjoy traveling.

In my 20s, I took a liking to Bob Brinker's radio show. It was on both Saturdays and Sundays for three hours each day. I was abLe to listen to to the first hour both days at work as I was finishing up my shift at work. After work I would listen at my house.

I also use enjoy reading Money and Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazines when I was in my 20s. What I really enjoyed where there profile articles on people and their financial situations. It was interesting to learn from these articles/profiles.

Now days, it's nice to have financial ino via the Internet. So convenient and easy. Lots of good i formation out there.

Happy Trails,

MtMtnMan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 04:04 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtMtnMan View Post
How did you learn about personal finance and investing...??? (I was not able to edit the post's title!)

Looking back, there are several way I leanred about in saving and personal finance. I learned a lot from my grandmother who was quite savvy considering her background. She taught me a lot about stocks, CDs, and saving. Her and my grandfather did well with their modest incomes and no pensions. Both had saved up and enjoyed a retirement where they were free from any debt and could enjoy traveling.

In my 20s, I took a liking to Bob Brinker's radio show. It was on both Saturdays and Sundays for three hours each day. I was abLe to listen to to the first hour both days at work as I was finishing up my shift at work. After work I would listen at my house.

I also use enjoy reading Money and Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazines when I was in my 20s. What I really enjoyed where there profile articles on people and their financial situations. It was interesting to learn from these articles/profiles.

Now days, it's nice to have financial ino via the Internet. So convenient and easy. Lots of good i formation out there.

Happy Trails,

MtMtnMan
I actually started with Charles J. Givens's book "More Wealth Without Risk" in my sophomore year of college. Although I do think he promotes some awfully wacky ideas, questionable tax loopholes, and claiming investments to be "risk free" when they are not, it can nonetheless be a good read.

I am mostly just the buy-and-hold-mutual-funds type. It seems that one really gets the most bang for one's buck. Sure some people really hit it big with small businesses, tax lien certificates, or highly leveraged real estate, but the vast majority of these are either very high risk, or require you to spend a lot of time and thus carry a large opportunity cost since the time could otherwise be spent on a second job. It's only fair to account for this if you are going to compare, for instance, tax liens vs. mutual funds. If you don't do your "homework" (e.g. researching the laws and the property) you are at high risk of losing your investment. If you do do your homework, then you end up spending a lot of time that could otherwise be used to earn more money elsewhere. Either way you're at a disadvantage compared to passive investing.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:12 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
I started in the business in my teens working in the back office of a wealth management firm and I've never left. I took the series 7 while still in my teens, added the series 63, 10, 65, 9 and 3 in that order. I read a lot online and that tends to be my biggest source of learning outside of work

Old 03-17-2015, 04:31 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
frequented many forums with very smart people.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:09 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:

Happy Trails,

MtMtnMan
Mr. Money Mustache will provide most everything you need. I don't 100% agree on every point, but close enough:
Getting Rich: from Zero to Hero in One Blog Post

Old 03-18-2015, 02:21 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,464 times
Quote:
In my 20s, I took a liking to Bob Brinker's radio show.
Bob is spot on. Buy low cost index funds like VOO (the S & P 500 index) and AGG (the total bond market index) then rebalance (to maintain your desired bond / stock allocation ratio) as needed. How much you invest in one versus the other depends on things like your age and appetite for risk.

These sites will help you decide on allocation ratio. You don't have to pick the funds they recommend. For example Ric Edelman is way over the top with so many funds. You are already widely diversified with VOO and AGG.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...ion?reset=true
https://gps.ricedelman.com/
http://www.vanguard.com/nesteggcalculator

As of late 2014, this was Jim Cramer's general bond / stock allocation ratio recommendation:

Younger than 30 - No reason to own bonds
In your 30's - 10% - 20% bonds
In your 40's - 20% - 30% bonds
In your 50's - 30% - 40% bonds
60 to retirement - 40% - 50% bonds

Similarly Bob Brinker recommends a 50/50 bond / stock allocation for a retired 70 year old.

There is nothing complicated about investing. Open an account with E Trade or AmeriTrade and place your buy orders. The worst thing you can do is go to a broker / adviser (non fiduciary). As Bob Brinker says, there as soooo many sharks out there. Their goal is to get your money either through expensive products or through services.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Bob is spot on. Buy low cost index funds like VOO (the S & P 500 index) and AGG (the total bond market index) then rebalance (to maintain your desired bond / stock allocation ratio) as needed. How much you invest in one versus the other depends on things like your age and appetite for risk.

These sites will help you decide on allocation ratio. You don't have to pick the funds they recommend. For example Ric Edelman is way over the top with so many funds. You are already widely diversified with VOO and AGG.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...ion?reset=true
https://gps.ricedelman.com/
http://www.vanguard.com/nesteggcalculator

As of late 2014, this was Jim Cramer's general bond / stock allocation ratio recommendation:

Younger than 30 - No reason to own bonds
In your 30's - 10% - 20% bonds
In your 40's - 20% - 30% bonds
In your 50's - 30% - 40% bonds
60 to retirement - 40% - 50% bonds

Similarly Bob Brinker recommends a 50/50 bond / stock allocation for a retired 70 year old.

There is nothing complicated about investing. Open an account with E Trade or AmeriTrade and place your buy orders. The worst thing you can do is go to a broker / adviser (non fiduciary). As Bob Brinker says, there as soooo many sharks out there. Their goal is to get your money either through expensive products or through services.

Using a broker or advisor isn't the worst thing you can do as the great folks at Vanguard, the low cost king say that an advisor net of fees can be worth as much as 1.5-3% per year

Old 03-18-2015, 06:30 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
vanguard is right judging by the studies that are done on tracking small investors as a group and that is coming from the grand pappy of do it yourself investing

Old 03-18-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
vanguard is right judging by the studies that are done on tracking small investors as a group and that is coming from the grand pappy of do it yourself investing

I see much larger investors daily and it applys to most of then too that go it alone. It's a human nature issue I believe

Old 03-18-2015, 06:58 AM

189 posts, read 345,489 times
I learned from my father. He started teaching all three kids when we were young. Taught us the stock market back when they had fractions in the price (made us good at fractions)

sadly I'm the only 1 Of 3 who keep learning and researching. I then turned toTV and internet to learn more.

Got another 30 To 40 years but off to a great start
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance