Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:38 AM

815 posts, read 979,627 times

Advertisements

It's a long and sad story, but our 24 year old son has gotten himself into a big mess. He was in the army, stationed in North Carolina. Somehow he managed to get addicted to heroin and is now being discharged. He's made a complete mess of his life, including his finances. Last year he financed a car, and he is not making the payments. We have no idea how far behind he is, but as of Friday he will no longer have an income so he won't be able to make any future payments. We are trying to get him back to Florida where we live and then get him in rehab.
My main question is what to suggest he do as far as the car. He's being semi-cooperative with us now, so I'm hoping he will heed our advice. Should I suggest he return the car to the dealership up there and then take a bus here? What happens if he drives the car here? Can he return it to a local dealership? I would think that it's better to return it BEFORE they repossess it, but I could be wrong. We've never dealt with a situation like this before.
Either way, his credit is severely messed up at this point. The main priority obviously is helping him get clean and sober, but he can't simply ignore the financial bind he has created for himself.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 10:47 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,245,736 times
Sell it privately and pay off the difference. Don't return to dealership.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:09 AM

37 posts, read 83,488 times
this is probably not the answer you're looking for, re what to do with the car.

find a nar-anon support group near you and go to some meetings, post-haste. as parents your heart is telling you to help, but addiction is unlike anything you've ever dealt with and you need tools and strategies for coping with what you are soon to be dealing with.

p.s. I've walked in your shoes. my 31-year old son is an addict. nar-anon saved MY life.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:17 AM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Posts #2 & #3 nailed it.

Good luck, OP, I feel for you.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:22 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
thank you for wanting to help your son. do as the others suggested.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:31 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
If you give him the option of private sale he will have money in his pockets. If you put him on a bus he get off. Have you considered returning the vehicle to the dealership he got it at and bring him home yourself?

Old 03-18-2015, 11:42 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,467,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
If you give him the option of private sale he will have money in his pockets. If you put him on a bus he get off. Have you considered returning the vehicle to the dealership he got it at and bring him home yourself?
He also can't sell the car private party unless he can sell it for more than he owes on the loan because he wouldnt have the car title in hand. His parents would need to give him money to pay the difference on the loan to get the title.

The other alternative is calling the lender and setting up a voluntary reposession. In this circumstance the car will be sold at auction and the OP's son will need to pay the difference. You get less in this scenario but at least the OP won't need to give his/her son cash in hand.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:57 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
If he drives the car back it's OK financially, as long as you have the money to pay off the negative equity and get it sold private party.

Good luck with the rehab (to him too!)

Old 03-18-2015, 12:38 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
If you're not in a position to pay the car off or at least cover the difference in a "short sale" (or just don't want to), in other words you can't or won't avoid repossession, it really doesn't matter how you handle it as long as you communicate to the lender where the car is. Either way the bank (not the dealership, unless it was a "buy here-pay here" place) is going to take the car, sell it, and come after him for the difference.

But if your son takes the car to Florida and doesn't let the lender know he has moved they might claim that he's trying to hide and pursue some legal action, so if he does drive it down make sure that information is communicated.

I'm sure the lender would prefer to have the car returned directly to their location rather than having to deal with repossessing it from Florida, but I doubt that it will make any difference as to how it will affect your son's credit and liability for the debt.

Heck, if you've already determined that the car is going to be given up, just call the lender and tell them what's going on (not the full details, just that your son won't be making any more payments) and ask them what they'd like you to do with the car.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:59 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
Yeah - from a credit perspective, voluntary return of the vehicle will look the same as a repossession -- both are basically a failure of a credit contract.

Also, both ways, your son will be held responsible for the difference between what they sell the car for and what he owes on it.

Most important thing seems to be to get him safe to you. If that means having him drive down, you can call the dealer when he gets to Florida and tell them where the car is for easy pick up.

Hope you're son is able to get the help he needs. I hope you take care of your selves as well -- sounds like this will be a long road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance