Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 06:13 AM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,021 times

Advertisements

I think the population who are able to meet those numbers is small. Many would have had to start investing by age 30 to meet those numbers and invest in the right stocks or funds. Hopefully they were invested right in 2000.

The retirement haves and have-nots -Bloomberg

3 out of 5 Americans don't have the funds to pay for unexpected expenses - Yahoo finance

What about those who bought a home in early 2000 or mid-to-late 90s near a beach that has increased three or fourfold and it may also serve as an excellent rental for cash flow. Or those who work for the city and get a pension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 06:36 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You're not rich till your money works for you vs you working for money.

So, yeah...my total assets minus debt is 5+ x my salary, but I am nowhere close to rich.
Agreed.. I am beginning to see that with my retirement.

Granted, it all depends on the market but love to see the big separation from contribution vs balance.
Attached Thumbnails
What does it mean by age 45 = 3x salary saved?-money-work.jpg  

Old 03-31-2015, 08:06 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Agreed.. I am beginning to see that with my retirement.

Granted, it all depends on the market but love to see the big separation from contribution vs balance.
Thanks for showing this. I've been reading how important it is to just keep investing, but in the 3 years we've been doing this I haven't seen the Big Returns that the financial advisor says we're going to have.... like a $1 million in just a 401k and stuff... your graphic demonstrates the whole compounded interest concept and I really ought to just keep playing along.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:35 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
I actually think that it should be 3X your annual expenses (not your salary). Salary is just an easy way to say it since many people like roughly paycheck to paycheck. For example, if you make $80k after taxes but spend $60k and save $20k, your lifestyle requires $60k. You won't be saving for retirement when you're in retirement. However, your expenses at retirement may go up because of health expenses, etc.

I also think that home equity should be part of the equation somewhere. For example, I'd much rather own a $1m home outright and have $500k in my savings and retirement accounts than owe $1m on my home and have $700k in savings and retirement but if you exclude home equity, the $700k guy seems like he's doing better than the $500k guy.
Many people do.

25 years in retirement (for a woman who retired at 65 and lived till 90) will see some pretty major price increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance