Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 02:10 AM

493 posts, read 442,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
After reading a lot of the posts I just wanted to give a thanks to all the replies. I think the most helpful part is that I need to relax - and thank you to everyone who pointed this out. You're right. It's not the end of the world, I do realize this, it's just a scary change.

To answer a few questions.

• There is indeed no real issue. Like I said, I'll be fine - the simple life is just... really expensive. I understand why so many put off having families until late 30's, if not indefinitely. A rant was the primary purpose of the post - sorry for subjecting you to this.
  • Take-home (after retirement/taxes/insurance) is about 3k a month for me alone (wife adds about 1.6k - that's going away for a while).
  • We do decent right now - save a ton (we have two 6 month emergency funds, one in a MM and one in ETFs) and have plenty to spare at the end of every month. The issue is her leaving work for a yet-to-be-determined length of time (likely less than a year but more than 6 months).
  • I did not factor in tax savings of 1 income for family of 3 vs 2 incomes for family of 2. Take home should increase mildly. This will be offset by needing to cover wife and kid's insurance premiums (wife pays own through work currently, with a good discount).
  • P&I is indeed less than 1k, by a few bucks. Taxes/ins adds a few hundred a month. Total with escrow is ~$1200.
  • There really don't exist houses cheaper than where I bought in Salt Lake metro unless you want a very long commute (1 hour+), something that'll eat a lot in repairs or something in a pretty bad part of town - as mentioned before we're already in what many would consider an undesirable part of town, but at least crime is fairly low here.
  • I do not wish to rent to save $200/mo. - rent for a 2BR apt in my part of town would be about $1000. Nicer parts would run $1500+. "Rough" parts of town or exurbs, maybe $750.
  • I do not wish to decrease retirement contribution. I won't borrow from my 60 year old self.
  • After all necessary costs (food, medical, utilities, car ins/gas, minor repairs and maintenance) and some unnecessary (internet, 2 smart phones, reasonable date nights) we'll have about $3-500 left over every month. That will certainly be eaten by unforeseen expenses most months, but again - we'll be okay, just tight. And these are really pretty good circumstances for most my age.
I guess my point was just even with an income above median and a fairly inexpensive lifestyle we'll barely run black each month (eh.. most months..) How does the typical American young adult afford a family? I like to think I do reasonably well with finances, and it'll be tight for me. So how do ones in less ideal situations do it? That's a bleak picture to me.

To tell you the truth, you and your wife are making only $4.6k a month and that is the problem. You need to find a way to increase your Gross Income. $4.6K for a household of 3 is poverty level. You have the right mindset, now you need to cash in from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance