Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 12:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times

Advertisements

Keep the house, sell the car. Selling car will let you to work a bit less cause that $500 debt is gone. When you graduate and plan to move revisit the fact of selling the house. The bay area is very expensive. In fact 100k will not get you much for rent forget trying to buy. And in a few years who says the Bay Area is still going hot. You may land a job locally where you are now.
If you were renting vs what your basic housing costs are now which is higher?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 12:44 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times
Just so we get it....
-- IF -- IF you sell the house, would you QUIT work ...and just live off the house proceeds for school and living expenses?
-- Or whether you sell the house or not you would still work, but perhaps less?

-- Finally, what school are you going to...a legit for year college, or some "training school?"
-- Also I didn't see you age?

I'd say...keep trying to juggle both work and school -- cutting back on one or the other IF you have to. I'd sell a car (and get a cheaper one) ONLY if it's a net financially.

I don't think I'd sell the house until I was getting ready to move. Any chance of taking in a room-mate or boarder to get you through, and bring in extra bucks? I also wouldn't be totally against school loans or financial aid -- IF -- IF we're talking about a legit university/college and degree...even then I'd keep a tight limit on how much student loan debt.

OP can you fill in some more blanks for us?

Old 04-05-2015, 04:14 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Can you collect rent from your fiance, declare income, get a mortgage, pay off your cars and reduce your hours as work?

Old 04-05-2015, 08:32 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
My grandparents had gifted all the grandchildren investment portfolios using inheritance money from previous generations. I got "control" of mine at 21 when I didn't know anything about it, nor did I have much interest other than the cash value. After I got married I would occasionally call to liquidate a few thousand dollars to fill in the gaps as my husband was about to start a PhD program. My husband was more than ignorant about investments: He thought they were evil. I mean like, he really thought investing was akin to gambling and that they directly destroyed social equality and the environment. He's from Mexico and a well off family that made it's money from land ownership. His only idea of a safe investment was (and still mostly to this day) real estate.

In 2007 we decided to liquidate the entire portfolio to pay for a transfer to a more prestigious institution. We didn't mean to time the market, but I wouldn't deny that we just knew it was time to pull out. i can't imagine what it would it have been worth if we had waited another year or two. No regrets there!

It was a piecemeal process the entire 5 years, but we were debt free at graduation. It was great to not have that over our head as we moved on.

I don't know what the right thing is for you. We didn't have much personal finance knowledge to make other decisions, but more educated people might choose to do it another way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance