Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many credit cards do you have?
1 23 15.65%
2 26 17.69%
3 23 15.65%
4 15 10.20%
5 12 8.16%
6 or more 48 32.65%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 08:57 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times

Advertisements

I have three credit cards, but only use two of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 09:05 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,126 times
4 or 5 but I only use 1 regularly(discover) and pay the balance in full each month

credit is an effective tool for people who can control their purchasing behaviors. not for reformed credit card slaves that were brainwashed by duhave ramsay that credit cards were da debil and there is absolutely no way one could responsibly use credit.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
I've gotten some wows from my most outlandish card. It's neon green plastic coated in some sort of blue pearlescent junk. But other than that merchants don't seem to notice or care, neither do those who I eat with.
my dad has a palladium card. it is funny to watch the server take the card back and sometimes show it to someone. he wouldnt admit to it, but im sure he enjoys the big timer feeling that card gives him when he uses it. i dont have that card so i dont think anyone has taken special notice of any of my cards. its not like i did anything special to earn them.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:00 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
4 or 5 but I only use 1 regularly(discover) and pay the balance in full each month

credit is an effective tool for people who can control their purchasing behaviors. not for reformed credit card slaves that were brainwashed by duhave ramsay that credit cards were da debil and there is absolutely no way one could responsibly use credit.
(yawns)

This again?
(always from people who feel they need to "justify" their credit card dependency.)
I coulda sworn I didn't see a single negative comment by those of us who choose not to use credit cards.
(savings of paying cash outweighs the "cash back" feature, and the rest s useless to me.)

Why the attack?
Oh, and for the record, I've never owned one, and only borrow for appriciatig assets.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:12 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
(yawns)

This again?
(always from people who feel they need to "justify" their credit card dependency.)
I coulda sworn I didn't see a single negative comment by those of us who choose not to use credit cards.
(savings of paying cash outweighs the "cash back" feature, and the rest s useless to me.)

Why the attack?
Oh, and for the record, I've never owned one, and only borrow for appriciatig assets.

You didn't produce a single argument against the use of credit card when it is paid in full monthly

You only borrow on appreciating assets? Like what housing? It's not always a appreciating asset

Old 04-09-2015, 10:16 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:

Why the attack?
im not interested in attacking people for not using credit cards. however, i dont think you should repeat this because there is no legitimate logic to it. it reminds me of a guy that was discussing financing a car and said that he wouldnt finance the taxes, just the car. as if that makes any difference.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:24 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,527 times
My husband and I only have one credit card. We have a Discover card that is rarely used. When we do have to use it, the balance is always paid off each billing cycle. We have never paid interest on it.

If a business will not take our Discover card, we can't/won't do business with them. Of course, we always prefer to pay cash for purchases.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:47 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,126 times
Quote:
(yawns)

This again?

Why the attack?
dependency....lol

several reasons I like credit cards:

-fraud protection
-extended warranties
-interest free 30-45 day float
-easier to track spending
-can easily dispute charges
-some cards even offer roadside assistance
-the rewards
-if your wallet is lost or stolen, the cash is GONE, but you can always cancel the credit cards
-makes bill pay easier

if I can get a discount, ill pay for certain items in cash. otherwise, for most food, gas, travel expenses, credit is the way to go.

you mad? how much cashback are you getting when you pay cash? the change they hand back to you at the register doesn't count.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:49 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,378,494 times
Carry a CC cause ya never know when you're gonna need it. I've only met one person who carried thousands of dollars in his pockets just in case he came across something.....always told him "Jim, one day you're gonna get robbed"......he also had zero credit because always dealt in cash, and there are instances where ya need credit.....go to Enterprise and rent a car without a CC, seen many people with cash in hand get turned away.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:34 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I have one that's metal that gets the same reaction sometimes, because it's so heavy. But, yeah, who cares? I certainly don't pay much attention to what others are carrying in their wallet. Why would I? It's not my concern, it's theirs.
Exactly. It's a tool, not a status symbol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance