Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 11:02 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,466 times

Advertisements

I itemize my deductions and in the near future would like to donate 6 big bags of clothing all is very good condition to an IRS registered charity. Do I have to write down the description of each article on clothing in each bag on the receipt or can I just write down 6 large bags of clothing on the receipt the charity provides? Do I need to take a picture of the clothes? Is $50 a fair amount to deduct for 6 large bags of shirt, shorts, pants and sweatshirts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 10:05 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Best way is to write down the number of items of each type, such as 4 mens dress shirts, 2 ladies blouses, 5 pairs of mens casual pants, etc. Here is a Salvation Army guide to value of items:

The Salvation Army Family Stores: Donation Value Guide

Old 04-20-2015, 11:52 AM

22,588 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I itemize my deductions and in the near future would like to donate 6 big bags of clothing all is very good condition to an IRS registered charity. Do I have to write down the description of each article on clothing in each bag on the receipt or can I just write down 6 large bags of clothing on the receipt the charity provides? Do I need to take a picture of the clothes? Is $50 a fair amount to deduct for 6 large bags of shirt, shorts, pants and sweatshirts?
You need to to whatever you need to do.
If you get audited, and the IRS says prove to us what you donated, the quality of the donations and the value of the donations... what will you show them?
We got audited on taxable donations, and we were asked just that.

My YWCA Thrift Shop does all that for me. They keep track of the donations; they keep track of what the items actually sold for; they provide an IRS-approved form at the end of each year.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Best way is to write down the number of items of each type, such as 4 mens dress shirts, 2 ladies blouses, 5 pairs of mens casual pants, etc. Here is a Salvation Army guide to value of items:

The Salvation Army Family Stores: Donation Value Guide

I think that's a good suggestion. The Salvation Army's online donation form for truck pickup has pre-set options like clothing--bags/boxes and you enter the number of bags/boxes. Same thing with other categories. It's kind of generic as to brand or other details. From my experience with other items, the receipt the driver gives you will just say something to the effect of Dishwasher-1 or Queen Mattress-1, with no other details about brand, etc to help determine value.

Should I on a separate sheet of paper keep a written and photographic record of the items donated to support to substantiate what's in each bag of clothes or that the couch I am donating for example is an expensive brand vs an inexpensive one?

Old 04-20-2015, 10:34 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post

You donate by making a itemized list. Then you put a reasonable value price. You deduct a percentage of that

Old 04-22-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You donate by making a itemized list. Then you put a reasonable value price. You deduct a percentage of that
Makes perfect sense, but what if the pre-printed computerized receipt simply indicates "six bags of clothes"? Should I keep a separate list of each item for my own records or attach it to the pre-printed receipt?

Old 04-22-2015, 02:00 AM

274 posts, read 353,723 times
I keep my own list, backed up by receipt from where I donate, and use TurboTax where I input my items with condition and they get assigned a value individually. It's a bit laborious when I've donated a lot during the year, but straightforward.

Once I had a major donation from a brutal purge, and we drove up to Salvation Army with one of those old VW vans so stuffed we could barely drive it. I had a sorta-list, but took my camera and took pics as everything was unloading. Glad I didn't get audited on an item-by-item basis that year!

Old 04-22-2015, 04:25 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
All that's required for under $250 is this.
In the op's case, 6 bags of clothing would probably enough of a description for $50 but something like 8 shirts, 6 pair of pants, etc is easy enough to keep track of while you're packing them.
Is everybody really that paranoid about an audit for things this minor?

"To deduct a noncash donation worth less than $250, you need a receipt with:
  • the charitable organization’s name
  • the date and location of the contribution, and
  • a description of the property (in just enough detail to identify the items)."

Old 04-22-2015, 06:27 AM

22,588 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Is everybody really that paranoid about an audit for things this minor?

Ummm... I actually DID get audited.
And it was far more than $250.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:02 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ummm... I actually DID get audited.
And it was far more than $250.

That's the point. You'd better have damn good proof of donations of $250 and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance