Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2019, 02:47 PM

150 posts, read 263,640 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

Does anyone know if certain places offer personal loans for investment purposes? Or any other routes I could take?

I assume the feedback will likely be to get an investment property mortgage. I have done this in the past, but in this situation (very cheap property) I only need a small sum of cash. So I think it makes the most sense to combine this loan with my cash to avoid closing costs, etc.

Anyways, I see on investment sites where folks have used a personal loan to fund the flip or rental. Most of those threads are from a few years. I have emailed or called most of the major lending sites and basically they all say their personal loans cant be used for investment purposes including rentals. I don’t know if people lie about the loan purpose (which i wont do), if the rules changed in the last few years (and I am wasting my time calling places), or if there is actually certain places that offer personal loans for anything. If so, do you know of any?

Appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 02:52 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixburgh90 View Post
Does anyone know if certain places offer personal loans for investment purposes?
That's called a bank and a mortgage.
Quote:
...I only need a small sum of cash.
That's the sort of statement that makes lenders run.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:55 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Get a cash advance on your credit cards. It will be expensive though.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:59 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Hi All!

Does anyone know if certain places offer personal loans for investment purposes? Or any other routes I could take?

I assume the feedback will likely be to get an investment property mortgage. I have done this in the past, but in this situation (very cheap property) I only need a small sum of cash. So I think it makes the most sense to combine this loan with my cash to avoid closing costs, etc.

Anyways, I see on investment sites where folks have used a personal loan to fund the flip or rental. Most of those threads are from a few years. I have emailed or called most of the major lending sites and basically they all say their personal loans cant be used for investment purposes including rentals. I don’t know if people lie about the loan purpose (which i wont do), if the rules changed in the last few years (and I am wasting my time calling places), or if there is actually certain places that offer personal loans for anything. If so, do you know of any?

Appreciate it!
Maybe a credit union will do it. Just ask about personal loans and lines of credit. Note also that unsecured debt will have higher interest rates than secured debt.

Old 10-23-2019, 03:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
BTDT for nearly 40 yrs.

Bank loan on investment property is my last resort (2x very short term)
  1. If truly a solid deal I will use a home equity loan. (I keep the cash / options to pay-off if needed)
  2. My 3.2% personal RE mortgage is 100% funding my investment properties (as it has for 40 yrs). (Different 'personal' buckets.)
  3. Margin accts (stocks) (not so attractive at the moment, but OK if you shop around.)
  4. Stock secured loan (Short term)
  5. Seller finance (short term)
  6. Hard Money lenders (A retiree might like 5% these days)

Old 10-23-2019, 03:49 PM

150 posts, read 263,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
BTDT for nearly 40 yrs.

Bank loan on investment property is my last resort (2x very short term)
  1. If truly a solid deal I will use a home equity loan. (I keep the cash / options to pay-off if needed)
  2. My 3.2% personal RE mortgage is 100% funding my investment properties (as it has for 40 yrs). (Different 'personal' buckets.)
  3. Margin accts (stocks) (not so attractive at the moment, but OK if you shop around.)
  4. Stock secured loan (Short term)
  5. Seller finance (short term)
  6. Hard Money lenders (A retiree might like 5% these days)
Appreciate the feedback and different routes suggested

Old 10-26-2019, 07:48 AM

18,457 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Hi All!

Appreciate it!
I have a relative who is a real estate investor, who gives short term loans to flippers. Perhaps you can find someone like him in your area.

The way he explained it to me:

He evaluates the property you are going to buy. If he sees it as profitable, he will loan you the money to buy it possibly even the money fix it up, depending on his valuation of the property. You usually need to put down some of your own money on the property on your own.

It is a 1 year loan at 15%. You pay 1/12 of the interest payment each month. When you sell the house, you pay off the loan in full. If you miss any interest payments, he gets the property.

It is a win/win for people that have no other way of financing.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:11 AM

456 posts, read 348,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I have a relative who is a real estate investor, who gives short term loans to flippers. Perhaps you can find someone like him in your area.

The way he explained it to me:

He evaluates the property you are going to buy. If he sees it as profitable, he will loan you the money to buy it possibly even the money fix it up, depending on his valuation of the property. You usually need to put down some of your own money on the property on your own.

It is a 1 year loan at 15%. You pay 1/12 of the interest payment each month. When you sell the house, you pay off the loan in full. If you miss any interest payments, he gets the property.

It is a win/win for people that have no other way of financing.

Have many people defaulted? The interest rate is so high I would believe he is the last option for folks.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:19 AM

18,457 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numsgal View Post
Have many people defaulted? The interest rate is so high I would believe he is the last option for folks.
He said only once in a while. He told me it is more profitable if they default. He is very good at analyzing the numbers before giving the loan. Then he flips the property himself.

He also takes investors and pays them 12% on their investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance