Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 01:57 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
You can't avoid it. It goes with the territory.
Puerto Rico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I think he is talking about avoiding a large exposure to volatile assets, but if so, then one is likely holding bonds with a return less than the mortgage, in which case one would do better to ditch the bonds and then pay the mortgage off.
Maybe just ditch the bonds. Why do something right and negate it by doing something so wrong?

Old 05-28-2015, 02:12 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Maybe just ditch the bonds. Why do something right and negate it by doing something so wrong?
Ok, well then you have substantial sequence risk. This is why I always say that it is up to one's individual risk tolerance. With a sufficiently high risk tolerance, sure, keep the mortgage. However not everyone can, does, or should have that risk tolerance.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:38 PM

106,560 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Puerto Rico?
tell us how that avoids it

Old 05-28-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
tell us how that avoids it
It was your statement,
Quote:
You can't avoid it. It goes with the territory.
You failed to identify the territory. I just made a guess. With all the "skipt" n and the reverse algebra I'm just trying to make some sense out of your and cnicole1's posts.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Ok, well then you have substantial sequence risk. This is why I always say that it is up to one's individual risk tolerance.
I said before that I do not have substantial sequence risk. Having too much money tied up in a house is more risky to me than having the extra liquid cash from a mortgage that is subsidized by the government and inflation favored.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:51 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
Quote:
Sorry, I don't have sequence risks. A prudent investor can avoid or minimize any risk.
Quote:
You cannot avoid sequence risk.
Quote:
Again wrong.
Quote:
I said before that I do not have substantial sequence risk. Having too much money tied up in a house is more risky to me than having the extra liquid cash from a mortgage that is subsidized by the government and inflation favored.

Actually what you said before and argued was that you didn't have sequence risk and now you are turning to say substantial which is subjective. You were wrong in your orginal statement that you didn't have it when clearly you do

Old 05-29-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Actually what you said before and argued was that you didn't have sequence risk and now you are turning to say substantial which is subjective. You were wrong in your orginal statement that you didn't have it when clearly you do
Sorry you jumped to an incorrect conclusion.

No I do not have sequence risk in that it would affect my portfolio or spending in any meaningful way. I have diversified income streams. While it's true that parts of my portfolio can be impacted it would be so minimal or avoidable that it is not a consideration. Zero risk would be included no substantial risk.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:37 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
Quote:
Sorry you jumped to an incorrect conclusion.

No I do not have sequence risk in that it would affect my portfolio or spending in any meaningful way. I have diversified income streams. While it's true that parts of my portfolio can be impacted it would be so minimal or avoidable that it is not a consideration. Zero risk would be included no substantial risk.

You do have sequence risk though so that wouldn't be included in Zero Risk. While true zero risk would be included no substantial risk, not substantial would not be in the zero risk category. A square is also a rectangle but a rectangle isn't a square.

You can't say you don't have it and then say you do. You have it but to you it's not substantial

Old 05-29-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You do have sequence risk though so that wouldn't be included in Zero Risk. While true zero risk would be included no substantial risk, not substantial would not be in the zero risk category. A square is also a rectangle but a rectangle isn't a square.

You can't say you don't have it and then say you do. You have it but to you it's not substantial
God I was trying to be inclusive to avoid you nit pickers that don't have anything to contribute.

OK based on this definition I HAVE ZERO, NADA, NONE,ZIP sequence risk! Happy?
What Is a Sequence Risk?

AND zero is not substantial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance