Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 02:20 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkull View Post
It has been posted in a couple forums - It is not advertised, and you must call to ask for it, window will close at end of the month... If you call and ask about the double cash back promotion they will add it to your card and have you back to your day in about 5 minutes.
Thank you, I called and you are of course 100% correct, so I asked to avail of the special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 03:00 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
One of my friends sent me a link explaining it but the link is not from Discover itself.
Discover It Double Cashback Promotion - Get up to 10% Back for a Year - The Frequent Miler

Quote:
During the promotion, the Discover It will earn cashback in the following way:

2% back on all normal purchases
10% back in rotating quarterly categories up to $1,500.
The bonus cashback is paid at the end of the 12 month promotion. While the application seems to indicate this is only for new cardholders, according to Doctor of Credit existing cardholders can register by calling Discover at 1-800-347-3085. In order to be eligible, existing cardholders need to be registered by July 31, 2015.
So it looks like those who use the 5% back will end up with 10% back, pretty darn good deal as long as there ends up no hidden bs within it, I guess we will know in 13 months.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:55 PM

306 posts, read 451,725 times
Thanks for the tip, nkull. My husband, who has a Discover it card, just called and got the promotion. However, he was told that the promo will start at end of the next billing cycle, and he will see the cash back doubled at the end of 12 months since opening the account (which he did in January 2015). So he has only 6 months left. I wonder how this promo could apply to somebody who has an account close to or older than 12 months...

Last edited by mia12; 06-16-2015 at 04:06 PM..

Old 06-16-2015, 04:04 PM

To the OP: Sallie Mae has 5% cash back on grocery, gas, and bookstores (amazon qualifies, too, no matter what you buy from there, apart from the digital and kindle store, I think), and 1% on everything else. There is a cap of $250/$250/$750 per month, for each category, respectively. If you don't spend too much on groceries, this card could be what you are looking for.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:04 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia12 View Post
To the OP: Sallie Mae has 5% cash back on grocery, gas, and bookstores (amazon qualifies, too, no matter what you buy from there, apart from the digital and kindle store, I think), and 1% on everything else. There is a cap of $250/$250/$750 per month, for each category, respectively. If you don't spend too much on groceries, this card could be what you are looking for.
This sounds good... thanks!

Do you have a link to where I can get more info card by any chance?

Old 06-16-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
This sounds good... thanks!

Do you have a link to where I can get more info card by any chance?
You're welcome. Here is the link:

https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/sallie-mae-card/

It seems this is also a good card in case you have student loans. I don't, so I earn the cash back as statement credit.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:02 PM

After reading all the info from this link: Current Discover It Cardholders Can Also Earn Double Cash Back
my husband called again, and the lady he spoke to confirmed that the promotion is indeed for 12 months (starting from the end of next billing cycle)

Old 06-16-2015, 06:56 PM

466 posts, read 643,854 times
As you can see there are lots of cash back options. If you are looking for simplicity, you should also consider other things like the quality of customer service and how easy the website is to use.

Citi customer service is awful. We canceled our card of 20 years with them because life's too short to deal with their bs. I know someone else who also just switched to a new card because of problems with Citi's customer service.

Chase and AmEx are much better in this regard. I also particularly love the AmEx website experience, which is beautiful at helping you track your monthly expenses. I would recommend the Amex Blue Cash (or Blue Cash Preferred if your grocery spend is high enough to justify it).

Old 06-17-2015, 01:43 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,193 times
Discover IT credit card, have had it for several years and love it! 1% cash back on everything, 5% on select categories. You earn cash, can either cash out and transfer to bank account or do statement credit or use for gift cards. I love their gift card system, you spend $45 and get $50. It's sort of "free" money already then earn another $5 per card. I really love discover for their reward program and also customer service.

It's really simple to do online also.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:58 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Discover IT credit card, have had it for several years and love it! 1% cash back on everything, 5% on select categories. You earn cash, can either cash out and transfer to bank account or do statement credit or use for gift cards. I love their gift card system, you spend $45 and get $50. It's sort of "free" money already then earn another $5 per card. I really love discover for their reward program and also customer service.

It's really simple to do online also.
make sure to call them to double the cash back. i just called this morning and after 12 periods they are going to double the cash back earned (including 5% categories). so 2% & 10%, next quarter is gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance