Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 08:11 PM

8,418 posts, read 4,576,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I'm not going to do through the process of reading it all. Link specially to the part where chase cxld cards or miscalculated rewards
Your loss. I've already spoon-fed you everything you've asked for. Now you want me to parse through and select individual posts?

Get real. If you are interested in learning, I've pointed you in the direction of a bloodbath of examples. If you aren't, then continue to make stuff up. I just wanted to let people know how reliable and exhaustive your research is.

You've made it easy for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
Some of us have learned from expierence! Many of us didn't think the CC companies would be so underhanded. They were/are and we customers paid.

I always call in 4 days before the due date and always write the confermation # on my statement. I don't ever trust a CC company. Oversight is the key. IMO
Exactly... I have found that the times I have caught them, they will usually credit my account $50 or so for my troubles. The easier I set things up, the easier I can catch them. Nothing feels better then a few free $50 here and there for just glancing at my online account.

Tip: Make sure you are always polite when you talk to customer service about anything. It is not their fault there is a problem. Just being polite and friendly puts you ahead of 90% of the calls they handled that day. They will do whatever they can to fix you up if you remain in the upper 10%.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:45 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Your loss. I've already spoon-fed you everything you've asked for. Now you want me to parse through and select individual posts?

Get real. If you are interested in learning, I've pointed you in the direction of a bloodbath of examples. If you aren't, then continue to make stuff up. I just wanted to let people know how reliable and exhaustive your research is.

You've made it easy for me.

Linking a 100+ page thread certainly isn't spoonfeeding but please go one am warm people that their cards could be cxld for no reason or actively awarded less just because

Old 07-02-2015, 11:04 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,073 times
Quote:
Linking a 100+ page thread certainly isn't spoonfeeding but please go one am warm people that their cards could be cxld for no reason or actively awarded less just because
I'm personally surprised that someone that afraid of having their card cancelled would even use a card. I mean what if you go out to dinner and the CC company just decides to cancel it?

I read through a bunch of that monster thread(which by the way is so FAR from spoonfeeding that that had to be a joke) and found that in general that was due to a lot of people maxing out points. The thread was full of people trying to maximize it beyond normal usage.

Quote:
Let's add that there's a 0% promo APR on purchases for 12 months. So, if you have a way to monetize purchases (and who doesn't at 5% CB?) you can finish off the initial 6-month period by running the card up to the limit and having a nice interest-free loan for next 6 months.

Quote:
With all the talk of Citi CashReturns in the heavy hitter thread, and the fact that this card offers the 5% promo for double the amount of time, the possibilities could be quite ridiculous...

180 days * ($1000 coins / 10 days) * 0.05 = $900

6 months * ($500 Amzn / month) * 0.05 = $150

Paypal and Google Checkout, 2.1% spread...

Pay income tax on credit card, 2.51% spread...
Quote:
I tried to sign my mom up but it wouldn't take my CC and her address. So I put bill me later but then I'd have to wait. So I went around again and used my actual birthdate and it went right through. Signed up for the card and was approved. If this new card doesn't have a good credit limit, I'll transfer the CL from one of my other Chase cards. Thanks OP!
I could go on... but that barely got down the first page, and I'd rather not flood this with quotes from offsite.

So you're SERIOUSLY trying to say that legitamite usage is subject to random closure and them taking away your points and are quoting a thread FULL of people doing their best to game the system?

Yeah, if you play the game too hard, they might shut you down. People buying tons of prepaid cards and using those to pay off their CC? It raises flags and they're likely to cancel your account.

BUT GUESS WHAT!!!

It's actually in their Terms if you're not to lazy to read those. They tell you that they can shut your card down if they suspect abuse of the rewards system. Seriously. Read it.

It's never for "No reason." and the OP here hardly sounded like the type who was looking to run a point game, rather it was a request for a simple card. (Which brings back why my earlier post is valid that he paying before statement close is pointless)

As Lowexpectations said before: "The risk you suggest are bunk."

Old 07-03-2015, 09:46 AM

I can't rep you Jeo but that was more spoon feeding than Clutch pulled off

Old 07-04-2015, 08:19 AM

Normalcy bias at work here. If it hasn't happened to you yet, it probably wont.

Whatever.

Just be aware that it's in every cards TOS that they can do this. Wouldn't be there if it was outside the realm of possibility.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Normalcy bias at work here. If it hasn't happened to you yet, it probably wont.

Whatever.

Just be aware that it's in every cards TOS that they can do this. Wouldn't be there if it was outside the realm of possibility.

Or in truth if you aren't manipulating a rewards program it really isn't a problem. I spend 75k+ annually on rewards cards for legitimate purpose and don't havevany issue across various cards but I'm also not gaming the system.

People aren't getting their cards canceled randomly or for no reason

Old 07-04-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Or in truth if you aren't manipulating a rewards program it really isn't a problem. I spend 75k+ annually on rewards cards for legitimate purpose and don't havevany issue across various cards but I'm also not gaming the system.

People aren't getting their cards canceled randomly or for no reason
Plenty of people in that thread not gaming the system, if you had bothered to read a fascinating turn of events you would have seen this. It happens all the time. I just posted a monster thread because it was spectacular and because it was monster for a reason, it happened to a lot of people.

The whole point of my post was to justify why it's best practice to redeem sooner rather then later. That strategy has little downside (apart from occasionally an issuer will offer a bonus for reaching a redemption level, in that case I always reach that level then redeem) and a possible downside. Why expose yourself to that possibility?

The pay before statement cut was a separate piece of advice that CAN be advantageous in some instances. You took the position that it NEVER is. That's patently false

ALWAYS and NEVER rarely plays out.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Plenty of people in that thread not gaming the system, if you had bothered to read a fascinating turn of events you would have seen this. It happens all the time. I just posted a monster thread because it was spectacular and because it was monster for a reason, it happened to a lot of people.

The whole point of my post was to justify why it's best practice to redeem sooner rather then later. That strategy has little downside (apart from occasionally an issuer will offer a bonus for reaching a redemption level, in that case I always reach that level then redeem) and a possible downside. Why expose yourself to that possibility?

The pay before statement cut was a separate piece of advice that CAN be advantageous in some instances. You took the position that it NEVER is. That's patently false

ALWAYS and NEVER rarely plays out.

I took a position of never? I didn't so it must be a comprehension problem on your part

Old 07-04-2015, 09:59 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I applied for Discover IT but they denied me. Odd because I had a 10k limit with them years ago with no problems. Must be my old BK. So I switched my two current CO cards to the Quicksilver and got another new Quicksilver card. I'll use that one strictly for California trip in Sept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance